Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jen Datwyler's IM CDA 2014 ( finally!)

It has taken me awhile to write this report. Mostly because I have a lot of emotion still rolling around in me regarding the day. I have been slowly processing it all and decided the only way to obtain closure was to sit down and finally get it on paper.

This was my fourth IM.  I raced IM CDA last year and placed 5th in my AG. I missed a Kona slot by 6 min. It was bittersweet for me because I was not aiming for a Kona slot, I did not realize I was in contention. I easily gave away those 6 min. in transition, and in dawdling at the aid stations. I was enjoying the day! I was thrilled to make the podium, but had some unfinished business. Fast-forward to 2014...

Although the times in 2013 were slower than previous years, I felt I might have a shot at Kona. My training took priority over almost everything else in my life. I was focused, determined, and dedicated. I took private swim lessons with underwater video, I got a new bike with a power meter, and increased my run frequency. The year was going well. I raced conservatively at St. George  70.3 and posted a 5:35 time. 

RACE DAY

Normal breakfast of steel cut oats with peanut butter mixed in topped with a banana. OSMO pre-load as directed. Arrived at transition around 5:00 am. Checked tire pressure, walked all transitions, located my transition bags, chatted a bit with fellow teammates Terri Cashmore and Stephanie Stevens. I was a bit nervous, but felt controlled.

SWIM: I lined up with the 1 hr- 1 hr 15min. group. My practice swim on Saturday went very well.  Although my swim times in training had not improved much over the year ( even after the lessons, hard work!), I felt stronger, smoother. The swim was choppy, but nothing I could not handle. I had done the Escape From Alcatraz Triathlon a month earlier, so the chop was relative.  I felt as though I were swimming well and swimming a decent pace. I was pretty disappointed when I exited the water and saw my time was 1:17XX.

2014 swim time: 1:17XX   2013 swim time: 1:13XX

T1: Although I was not thrilled with my swim time, I remained focused and moved quickly through T1.

T1 time 2014: 4:24     T1 time 2013: 5:38

BIKE: This was my first IM with a power meter. My goal watts were 168-170. I followed EN protocol and went out easy for the first out/back.  I tried to remain steady in the hills/wind. I took a power gel every hour and was aiming for a bottle of perform every hour for a total of 240 cal/hour.  I really only need about 200, but wanted to aim high as I was sure I probably would not drink as much as planned. I also kept water up front and drank water with the gels. Felt decent on the bike. My power started to drop significantly the last 30 miles. 

Here are the splits for each 10 mile segment:

172, 174, 172, 166, 172, 158, 168, 178, 165, 149, 152, 149

Took in 6 gels and 4 bottles of perform for a total of 193 cal/hour

Bike time 2014: 6:11:11   Bike time 2013: 5:48:57

T2: Moved through quickly, including potty stop

T2 2014: 2:45   T2 2013: 4:20

RUN: This is where it all fell apart. Within the first .25 mile I began to feel nauseous. VERY nauseous. Like 'where is the nearest porta-potty, I can't wait until mile 1 nauseous.' Went off course a tiny bit and found a spectator porta potty. Spent a few minutes with no relief. Moved on hoping the feeling would pass. NO such luck. Ran until about mile 3 when I felt clammy, dizzy and VERY BAD. Tried taking in water, perform, coke. Small sips but could not improve the situation. I decided to walk a little ways and see if I could get my composure back. Continued to feel BAD. I willed myself to the turn around and thought I would DNF if my husband was there with a car. He was there, but encouraged me to continue on. He walked with me a ways and got me running for a short distance. I could not imagine completing another 20 miles in this condition.  I continued to walk with short run spurts as I could manage it. I took a cup of chicken broth and nursed that for about 2 miles.  All the while I was being passed by hundreds of people. My fellow athletes were so kind. Many asked if I was OK, if I needed anything. Onward I walked. After what seemed an eternity. I was left with 4 miles to go. Some kids were at an aid station with a huge barrel of red vine licorice. I thought "what the hell," and took one. I nibbled on this for the next mile and decided to run that last two miles even if it killed me. I did manage to run and finally reached the finish line.

Run time 2014: 5:32:49      Run time 2013: 4:24:07

Final finish time 2014  13:08:35         2013: 11:36:50

I am deeply disappointed in my performance. I used the same nutrition I have been practicing with for 6 months. I recognize that my watts on the bike were too high which most likely led to the decrease in power over the last 30 miles. I also recognize that I took in too few calories/fluid while on the bike and certainly on the "run" considering I could not force much down. I am disappointed that I did not run more even though I felt bad. I never did actually vomit. I think I probably would have felt just as bad running as I did walking, hence I should have been running. 

I am glad my husband encouraged me to finish. I think a DNF would have haunted me even more. 

I am currently working with a sports nutritionist who is communicating with Stacey Simms from OSMO nutrition on my behalf. 

I am disappointed.  We all know how much time and effort goes into preparing for an Ironman event. To have performed so far below my potential is devastating.

I have taken the past two weeks completely off of training. I am refocusing and staring up again with my new season plan on July 21. I am headed to IM AZ in November and am determined to succeed.

Comments

• Options
    Hey Jen, sorry to hear about the disappointing race. For those of us who've done this for a while, a bad race is gonna happen. Been there, trust me. My advice is use the great resources here to diagnose what happened, build that into your AZ plan, and go nail that race. From my perspective, your issues likely didn't start with the swim and were present by the time you started the run. So, the pretty obvious culprit? The bike. You didn't mention your FTP or the IF and VI you rode at CdA. Unless your FTP is > 235, probably started way too hot. IMO, there are two places you can't race IM - the first 30-40 mi on the bike and the first 3-5mi on the run. Instead, the only tactic during those times is executing your numbers to perfection, in a vacuum. The other thing to look at, as you already noted, is hydration. 4 bottles on a 6+ hr ride would leave me dangerously dehydrated, even on a cool day. The good news is, you've got a bike motor many would kill for and the drive to get the necessary work done. Hope AZ delivers the race you were hoping for here.
  • Options

Mike,

Thanks for the comments. FTP is 234, NP was 167, IF was .72, VI was 1.05.

I think the break-down was definitely in my nutrition. Way too low on fluids as well as calories. I think the gel was also a mistake. In talking with a nutritionist and reading some articles, I think it may just be too concentrated for me. I am looking into the "hydration in the bottle, food in the pocket" philosophy of Stacey Simms (OSMO nutrition). I have always been a fan of liquid calories, but maybe that is not the best choice for me. 

I think you are right that I came in too hot on the bike. Even a small decrease in my wattage from the beginning may have helped prevent the drop in wattage over the last 30 miles.

Keep the comments coming!

• Options
    Jen
    It looks like an IF of 0.72 is a bit too hot for a bike split around 6 hours.
    The EN IM bike calculator suggests a max IF of 0.7 for a 5:50 split.
    I race around 150 pounds and I use Infinit plus Power Bars and gels on the bike for around 380 cals per hour, and 600 mgs of sodium and 750 mls of liquid.
  • Options
    Jen ... Mike IMO has made the correct diagnosis...the first 1.5 hours of the was not executed properly. If your FTP is 234, and you are expecting a bike time of six hours - realistic given the conditions that day - then the NPs of your first 3 10 mi segments *should* have been more like 155/158/164. A good target for the remainder of the race would be IFs of 0.71 up the hills, 0.69 into the wond and down the hills.

The sad truth is, even if you spend only 10-15 minutes early on going @ HIM instead of sub-IM iF in the first 30 miles, that's enough to mess up your run. My experience ... 20 IM finishes, 3 DNFs. The last two of those were in 09 and 13, when I let myself get undisciplined around miles 15-35, and biked too hard in the first two hours. Stopped running after about 10 miles. When I hold back enough in that period, I do just fine.

For IM AZ, your targets will be higher, as your bike will be quicker. Check into the IM AZ forum directly AFTER your second race rehearsal with a race plan, and we'll get it straight then. Look forward, not back. You WILL be better. PR-type better.
  • Options
    Yep, the race was boogered in the first 20 miles of the bike, and not enough liquids on the bike. How much did you pee? You and I had similar races, so I get the bummed feelings. Fix your execution and I feel sorry for IMAZ. I think we're both going to have great races this fall.
  • Options
    Hey Jen - I can't help with the execution details on the bike but I hope to offer some support and encouragement. I hear the disappointment you have, there's a massive time, emotional, financial investment that you put into this race. It sucks when the day doesn't go your way, but you do have another chance with IMAZ! You have an amazing resource here to assist with nailing down the bike execution, hopefully the nutritionist will provide the recommendations you need to nail the nutrition, and this race experience will be the extra fuel for your fire to reach your goals at IMAZ!
  • Options

Thanks for all the comments. This team is so supportive and helpful. I will no doubt be posting a Race plan for AZ and get feedback ahead of time the next go-round!

I agree that my race was screwed up early in the bike.

I just wanted to give you my thought process in how I arrived at my target watts. I was aiming for a 5:45 bike split. I had done 5:48 last year and my RRs supported that time. For a 5:45-6:00 bike split the wiki advises .70-.72 of FTP. I was aiming for the higher end (.72), keeping in mind my Kona goal. This would put target watts at 168. Yes I was above that for the first 30 miles, but only by 4-6 watts. My NP for the whole ride was 167. Obviously the wind slowed me down and I did not achieve a 5:45 bike split, but I thought we were to ignore wind, hills, etc and try to keep watts steady. Should I have adjusted watts down when I realized the conditions of the day were more challenging? Or should I "ignore the wind" and aim for steady watts.  I have not listened to the webinar on riding a windy course yet, maybe this has been answered. 

So... I think the break-down was nutrition related. I was WAY too low on fluids. I think I should set an alarm as a reminder in the future. The calories were also too low. I am wondering if the nausea was related to dehydration or just a classic "bonk". Regardless, I will get this worked out. 

Thank for all your help!!!

• Options
    Hey Jen,

Great to meet you, if only breifly.

Just chiming in on the target watts topic. We have some things in common pre-race mathwise. You and I have similiar FTPs (don't know about w/kg) and I was expecting about a 5:40 split and did my math accordingly pre-race for a target wattage of 168. The difference may be that when I realized it was going to be a longer day I pulled back on my target watts and ended up splitting a 5:49 at about 8w less than target and was able to execute my run.

Yes, we ignore the wind as far as being steady, however the IF guidance is time on course dependent. It's the one variable you can't be sure of going into the race. If it's gonna be a long day, you may need to pull back to be able to execute the run as your TSS grows. Also, just empathizing: I had a similar nutrition fail at IMC in 2013. IMO you can improve on both and you are spot on with your own analysis there. Just my $0.02.

Really looking forward to seeing you have a fabulous redemption race in IMAZ.

My cowbell is poised for you!!! image
  • Options

Jen - Since your goal is to get to Kona, you of course want to attend to every little detail which might make a difference. I have three suggestions for you to consider:

• In addition it looking at the 10 mile interval data on your bike, look at a more detailed breakdown of your data. I have found it helpful in understanding my failures on the run to look at segments as short as 10 minutes to see if I made any mistakes in working too hard in the first 1.5 hours. For example, look in isolation at each of the first two climbs, which each should have taken you about 14 minutes to get up. It may seem hard to believe, but differences as small as 4-5 watts extended over a 15 minutes period early on can make a significant difference later in the day.
    • The bike execution table you referenced is a rough guideline. The coaches have a more precise table which you'll find in a zip file you can access on that same wiki page where you found that table, at the very bottom of the bike execution section. The link is titled: "Webinar: Half and Full Ironman Bike Execution". You're looking for the chart on page 7 or so of the PDF powerpoint file in there.
    • Have Coach P do a crucible analysis of your bike file. He will explore all your data in detail in a screencast. Here's how to do that: http://members.endurancenation.us/R...e+Protocol

As far as nutrition, it ends up being a very personal solution (pun intended). The key is to experiment on those Saturday 5 hours race pace "plus" rides until you find something that results in not feeling bonked or sick to your stomach during the last hour, then practice it over and over so it's second nature on race day. Be willing to play around with suggestions you get from people. What works for some is gut busting for others, there is no one size fits all, no "right" nutrition plan. IMO.

• Options
    Sorry to hear about the disappointment. I can't add anything to the many comments above regarding execution. There is something else, however, around psychology. You clearly put a lot of pressure onto yourself around a goal. And it is a goal over which you have very, very limited control...because it is about an outcome and not an input. Your characterization of your 2013 race experience is telling: "enjoying the day". Sometimes when we heap pressure onto ourselves it is unhelpful to the cause. Also we are less happy...did you enjoy your training build as much in 2014??

Read Matt Ancona's race report from IMAZ 2012 (in this forum and/or link to his blog). There is a guy who enjoyed a lot of success, then heaped pressure on himself and started performing well below his elevated expectations, including a blow-up at IMWI in 2011. So he took a different approach to his training and racing -- much more focused on input and what he could control -- won his AG (M3034) at IMAZ and went back to Kona.

Just a thought. Sometimes "reset the head" is important. Personally I do this sport to stay and shape and to have fun. Sure I have goals for individual races, but those two overarching goals are the key ones and I don't let them get out of sight.
  • Options

Thank you all so much for all the helpful comments. I am back in the wiki and forums studying and learning. I am starting my new training plan on Monday ( Get Faster) in prep for IM AZ. Feeling much more optimistic. I have some good solid direction in helping me fix my mistakes. Sincerely appreciate all the input.