Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Canada
Options

Final prep stage for IMC

Now that were in the final 2 weeks questions are starting to arise that are specific to race day and have had very little to do with training. I encourage everyone to post questions so we can all learn from them and for those with the answers, your help is much appreciated.

1) Since this is the first IM for my wife and I, I am unsure about the changing tents. I have learned that when you come out of the water, find a wetsuit stripper and then find a volunteer to find your bike gear bag. With a lot of people doing the same thing at the same time, how difficult is it to get a hold of your gear bag? Once you've put on your bike gear, what happens with the gear bag ( I assume you put your goggles and swim hat in the bag)? 

2) What happens to your wetsuit? I assume it does not fit in the gear bag. I have never done a race where you cannot keep gear next to your bike rack, so that is why I am unsure on this one.

3) Bike special needs: From reading race reports I think I will put in a new tube, CO2, 2 salt pills, anti chafe. Any other suggestions? How do we get this? Are they sorted by every 500 race numbers or so?

4) in T2: do we rack our own bikes, or do we hand them off to a volunteer? 

5) Run special needs: Anything else needed besides dry socks?

6) Last question but not sure on the logistics of this one. Since I am not planning on using my garmin 310XT till the run portion, do I put it in the run gear bag or should I put it on on the bike already but just not turn it on?

Comments

• Options
    Hope this helps... it's not based on IMC but on other IMs. While each race can have small differences the info below should apply to IMC.

1) Since this is the first IM for my wife and I, I am unsure about the changing tents. I have learned that when you come out of the water, find a wetsuit stripper and then find a volunteer to find your bike gear bag. With a lot of people doing the same thing at the same time, how difficult is it to get a hold of your gear bag? Once you've put on your bike gear, what happens with the gear bag ( I assume you put your goggles and swim hat in the bag)?

A: It's not too difficult... the volunteers want to help so as you're running up to them point to them or make eye contact and hold it. That way they lock in on you. When you're close enough to talk ask them for help (they will usually offer before you can even ask). Yell out your race number and they will pull it for you. Some volunteers are out for a day of fun... others seem liked they've raced before. If you come across someone who is taking their time and wants to chat say thanks and move on... find another person to help or be ready to grab your bag yourself. I find it faster to grab the bag myself. There are a ton of volunteers around... after you get your bike gear out of the bag don't try to put the swim stuff into the bag... ask a volunteer and they will put all your swim stuff (including wetsuit, goggles, swim cap, etc) into your bag.

2) What happens to your wetsuit? I assume it does not fit in the gear bag. I have never done a race where you cannot keep gear next to your bike rack, so that is why I am unsure on this one.

A: The wetsuit fits in the bag but ask a volunteer in the changing tent to put it in the bag... you just get your bike gear on and move onto the bike.

3) Bike special needs: From reading race reports I think I will put in a new tube, CO2, 2 salt pills, anti chafe. Any other suggestions? How do we get this? Are they sorted by every 500 race numbers or so?

A: I have never needed special needs and I don't know anyone else who has either. It is very unlikely that you'll need it. Having said that this is what will be in my bike special needs bag this year: old tire in case the tire on my bike get a puncture, spare tube, CO2, salt pills, anti chafe, sunscreen. I go into the race with the plan that I will not use the special needs bag. Assume you will not get any of the stuff in your special needs bag back after the race.

4) in T2: do we rack our own bikes, or do we hand them off to a volunteer?

A: My experience is to hand off to a volunteer but this is a IMC specific question... maybe others who have done IMC can answer this question better.

5) Run special needs: Anything else needed besides dry socks?

A: salt sticks, anti-chafe, I've considered putting clothes for cold / wet conditions but have never needed to do so.

6) Last question but not sure on the logistics of this one. Since I am not planning on using my garmin 310XT till the run portion, do I put it in the run gear bag or should I put it on on the bike already but just not turn it on?

A: Totally up to you... why wouldn't you want it on during the bike? I have a computer on my bike but I know people who have gotten on their bike at an IM and have had their computer not work. I wear the 910 on the bike as a back up plus it gives me my total time for the entire race. If I were you I would wear it under my wetsuit so that I don't have to worry about getting it on during the transitions. Keep the transitions as simple as possible... the fewer things to remember and the fewer moving parts the better.
  • Options
    Hey guys!

One more question for you experts out there. Does anyone know how far into the bike course the Bike Special Needs station is? Based on the map estimates of aid stations every 10 miles, it looks to be at about mile 50. Does anyone happen to know if this is right?

Thanks for the help!
  • Options

Here are my answers, based on my experience at IMTX this year.  Haven't done IMC, but maybe this will help anyway:

1) Since this is the first IM for my wife and I, I am unsure about the changing tents. I have learned that when you come out of the water, find a wetsuit stripper and then find a volunteer to find your bike gear bag. With a lot of people doing the same thing at the same time, how difficult is it to get a hold of your gear bag? Once you've put on your bike gear, what happens with the gear bag ( I assume you put your goggles and swim hat in the bag)?  They had our bike bags all lined out by numbers....you drop it off the day before the race and will know where it is (roughly....take note of where it is relative to stuff around).  As we exited the water and made our way up to the tent, we passed through the bags....call out your number to a volunteer and they'll help you find it (unless they're all already tied up with others).  I stopped outside the tent, dumped my bag out, sat down and put on shoes, helmet, glasses, stuffed wetsuit/goggles/cap in the bag, gave it to a volunteer and then found my bike.  Also note your bike racking location relative to surroundings/row/etc.  The volunteers will help you if they are not busy, so don't be afraid to call out your number while looking someone in the eye....they'll help you with whatever you need/ask.  One decision you have to make is where/when you will put on your bike shoes....depends on terrain (muddy, dry, grass, pavement) and type of cleats you use (speedplay don't like mud, I hear....I wear Look so it's not a big issue).  

2) What happens to your wetsuit? I assume it does not fit in the gear bag. I have never done a race where you cannot keep gear next to your bike rack, so that is why I am unsure on this one.  It fits in the bag just fine.  As mentioned earlier, if you can get a volunteer to bag it for you....good!  

3) Bike special needs: From reading race reports I think I will put in a new tube, CO2, 2 salt pills, anti chafe. Any other suggestions? How do we get this? Are they sorted by every 500 race numbers or so?  I didn't use it, but I had a tube, CO2, salt pills, TUMS, and an emergency powerbar.  I think of this as an "emergency only" bag.  I didn't even think about stopping....but if I were having a "bad day", I might have stopped.  Just think of what you might need in an emergency....but you won't get this bag back.  

4) in T2: do we rack our own bikes, or do we hand them off to a volunteer? We were able to hand them off.  I don't know what would happen if enough riders finished at the same time that we "overwhelmed" them.  They usually will rack it for you after the bike....but you will usually have to get it off the rack to start the ride.  

5) Run special needs: Anything else needed besides dry socks?  Again, whatever you might need for an "emergency"/bonking situation....Tums, dry socks, salt tabs, O2 tank, spare pair of legs.  I did stop to change socks....man was it hard to get moving again afterwards....that was the main reason I did not want to stop!  

6) Last question but not sure on the logistics of this one. Since I am not planning on using my garmin 310XT till the run portion, do I put it in the run gear bag or should I put it on on the bike already but just not turn it on?  I was same...only used 310XT for the run, and kept it in my run bag.  Had Garmin 800 on the bike.  I have read many a race report of a head unit crapping out or just generally refusing to talk to the PM, so it's probably smarter to wear it or keep it on your bike.   That said, I did not do that.  I had mine in my T2 "to go bag" and put it on as I jogged out of transition.  Worked fine.  Make sure it is powered off overnight....and turn it on as soon as you can so you don't overcook the first 1/2 mile of the run.  I didn't want it on my wrist for the bike and didn't want to have to try to remember to take it off my bike at the end of the ride.  

Just my $0.02 based on one IM, and not IMC.  

• Options

@Jeff, thanks for taking the time and answering all my questions. The advice of all with IM experience has been very helpful.

After watching the 2013 IM CA webinar, they say SN is somewhere between mile 55-58, right when you get to Pemberton. 

• Options
    1. There are plenty of volunteers so someone will probably grab your gear bag.  If not you can grab it yourself.  The changing tents at IMC were way too small.  I just did my T1 stuff outside the tent as I don't change anyway.  Wetsuit, goggles and cap go into the bike gear bag after the bike stuff is removed.
    2. Bag is plenty big enough to fit a wetsuit.
    3. Bike special needs was right in the middle of Pemberton village before you hit the flats.  I don't use SN bags but you can put whatever you want in there.  They are in large bins/boxes sorted by number.  There's more than every 500.  Maybe each box is every 200 or 250.  You just pull up and hope a volunteer gets it for you or you'll be sifting through it.  Usually, they have the bags pulled out of the boxes and lined up in numerical order next to the box.
    4. A volunteer usually racks your bike in T2.
    5. Once again, I don't use special needs but here's my point about dry socks.  Your shoes are presumably soaking wet so what good is changing socks?  They'll be just as wet as the previous pair of socks in about one mile.  Changing shoes AND socks I get.  Just socks I don't.
    6. T2 is in an open parking lot area so I would turn the watch on ASAP and allow it to catch the sat signal while you're doing your transition thing.