Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

Week 19 - Almost There!

The taper has started!  The biggest part of training is done but it's not over yet.  Get those workouts in so you don't get stale.  Eat smart so you don't gain a ton of weight.  And get as much sleep as you can so you get to race day ready to crush it.  Lets hear about your workouts or questions or issues that anyone is having.

Comments

• Options
    2 workouts done so far this week. After the rest day on Sunday I felt great yesterday and got a really good track workout in. 2 X 1 at Z4 plus 2 more at Z2 for a total of 6.5 miles. I ran some of my fastest laps of the year. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/541762214

Tonight I got a good bike workout in. I have the cockpit of my tri-bike disassembled right now for some maintenance so I jumped on the road bike. I've never had a professional fit on it and it has a different PM so I'm not sure how the numbers really stack up but it was definitely a hard effort. The different position feels really weird to me and definitely works the muscles in a different way. I skipped the brick run because my stomach was bothering me. I'll try to make that one up tomorrow morning before work. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/542416581

My shoulder has been bothering me so I skipped Monday's swim. I'm going to hit the pool tomorrow. Right now I'm in maintenance mode for the swim, just trying to get to race day.

I've been sleeping more the last couple days but I still feel pretty tired throughout the day. I expect this to last to the weekend and by the beginning of next week hopefully i'll be perking up again just in time for the race.
  • Options
    I enjoyed my rest day on Sunday as well....I think it turned my brain to mush. I got up Monday and drove to the pool only to realize that I forgot my garmin watch, which I rely solely on to count laps...I don't think I've ever done that. So I just swam for an hour or so. Monday night as I was checking my wko for Tuesday, I realized that I missed the Monday run....I swear it wasn't there when I looked the first time image I did however, get in some kyaking with my wife although it didn't compare to the z4 run I missed...it was fun! Today I ran 30 min with some z4 and z2 and followed it up with 1hr bike. I also rode my road bike since my tri bike is in a different location until the weekend. No powermeter on the today so I did 3x6min @ z4 using HR - felt pretty good.

Like Doug, I've been getting more sleep...at least 1hour/night for the last few nights. I'm unsure if it's more sleep or the pullback in workouts, but I'm exhausted! That and very hungry which I'm trying to control. For those that have been through the IM taper, I assume this is normal?
  • Options
    Sunday was great to have an off day. I was able to get stuff done around the house and watch the TdF! Yesterday I did the run and skipped the swim because I had to take my mom to get a bunch of tests done at the hospital. Today was an OWS with my wife and I skipped the bike but I'll get that in tomorrow PM and swim in the morning. The legs are still heavy and I felt them when I climbed up the parking garage ramp on my bike this afternoon after work. I'm hoping that by this time next week they'll be starting to twitch because they want to do some serious work!
  • Options

Sunday was a much needed rest day!  I was completely wrecked and sore.  This week and next I'm really trying to get to bed earlier and get the much needed physical and mental rest needed for what's about to happen.

Monday I still was mentally drained...looked at the pool and just knew it was better not to get in.  By the afternoon I was starting to feel better but took advantage of another rest day and apparently it paid off.  Yesterday's bike run was AWESOME! My legs still felt heavy starting the bike (and walking a flight of stairs) but once I got spinning I felt great.  Had a strong hour ride and a great run.  Because I wasn't paying enough attention to my pace I did the first half over z4 and the second half at z4.  One thing I know for sure is I need to be very careful coming off the bike not to overdo it early on the run!  If you see me coming out of T2, remind me of this so I don't have to walk the last few miles. 

• Options
    My body is out of sink with everyones LOL. I "had to" take 4 days off last weekend and it realy took care of my deep fatiuge. I was a little tired from SUN 112mile RRbike /runWKO and so took MON off....yesterday was nasty and no run or bike....0400 wake up so Kant say my sleep is getting better. will try and get a good brick in tonight. Swim 1-2K tomarrow to test the shoulder. Realy wish I got a OWS before race...not likley now. Might modify the Race week WKOs abit -I did well with the "all 3 events" progressivly shorter -all at race intensity. MON-WED (likely none WED due to long flight), THR off, FRI quick all 3 events to 'blow the rust out' then Race SAT
    Race plan coming together.......
  • Options
    Monday's run was very sluggish to start but once I got going I was able to hit Z4 on the mile intervals. Did a 1.5 mile swim in the pond, much warmer than Saturday's swim in Casco Bay! Both of yesterday's workouts went well although I still feel I'm below where I was on the bike a couple of months ago. I've been adjusting my planned race pace accordingly.

Most likely no swim tonight due to weather, I may try to do that tomorrow night before my run.

Overall feeling pretty good and trying to make sure I get plenty of rest. I'll be getting to LP on Tuesday so I'll be organizing and packing all my stuff this weekend after the Sat. ride.
  • Options

Nice work everyone!! I can't believe we are so close! VERY exciting, but super nervous too! I agree that Sunday's rest day was SO NEEDED. Hitting the workouts this week feeling pretty good.  Trying to stretch and roll. Thinking "bubblewrap". Did the swim portion of a sprint tri tonight to get one more "mass" swim start in.  Only about 150-200 people there tonight, but it's still good practice.  I learned that no matter what, I would rather find open water than try to follow feet. I know that it's good to try to draft and stay close to the line, but I would rather find my own water and swim a little extra than be in the crowd. It helps me to find my happy place and its the only way I can get my rhythm. Ended up doing about 800 yards vs. 600 yards but I am ok with that. 800 yards in 9:56  3rd female out of the water. I'll take it!  

• Options
    It was 85 degrees here yesterday so I did my 80 minute run then to get in more heat training. I had to work hard to keep my pace down and I drank a lot but it was all good. I'm looking forward to the last longish ride and them start packing!
  • Options
    Nice work everyone, way to get those workouts in!

I haven't made it to the pool yet this week! I'll definitely be going tomorrow after work. I got a good long run in tonight. The last couple days have been a little bit cooler and it was perfect for running. 11 miles in all with the last 4 progressively faster. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/543762547
  • Options
    Nice work everyone. Get those last workouts in to keep your mind from going crazy.
    I got my long run in yesterday. Ended up running 8.88 miles in all and felt good. Worked in a few hills. Also got in an OWS last night, was able to swim my new faster pace (or my Garmin is consistently wrong) again.

Which IMLP/Finisher specific clothing items are you excited to buy and why (quality, fit, etc)?
    Anyone have items from previous years they love?

I think I'm most stressed now about the packing (for 6 for a week) that is about to happen. I don't want to do it!image
  • Options
    Don't get me started on the packing and I only have to pack for myself! :-) We leave for the US tomorrow morning and I'm nowhere near ready. I just have piles of clothing and nutrition on the living room floor.
  • Options
    I'm using the Mapmyathelete Live tracker for my Vineman.  Anyone else use this? looks good for letting folks know what eta may be for coming into view.
  • Options
    @ David, I did the Vineman two years ago and my daughter tracked me on whatever they were using then and it worked fine. I'm sure that's what we'll be using this year.
  • Options
    @David, I'm not sure if you mean myathlete? I used myathlete a couple years ago for Wisconsin and I was told by people it worked great. I was racing so I can't confirm that!
  • Options

Just in case anyone was considering the MyAthlete tracker, if you have not already ordered it, it is too late.  Orders had to be placed by yesterday at 5PM.   

• Options

Did today's bike/run in reverse.  I actually did a local 5K race so did not do the z4 out/z2 back, but did run z5+ and got me a new 5K PR and 3rd in my AG.  Legs, lungs and everything felt good.  Hopped on the bike for a 2.5 hr ride back home from the race location.  Cut just short of 40 miles due to time because of an unfixable flat (partner's, not mine).

All in all a great last "long" training day.  

AND I started packing the kids stuff...that's a win in my book!

• Options

Yep "myathelete".

Did my 2.5 hr ride as a re-re-pwr/hr check. Last RR rides with lots of wind and interruptions etc. Did 30' at the planned EZ pace of 150w then the rest at a goal NP ~170w much of the out with mild head wind -just enough to loose 1-1.5 mph with holding watts steady. HR stayed down. Sore here and there at 1 hr in...not too bad. On the rollers heading sidelong to the wind (up and down hill) I had to keep dialing effort back a bit as RPE was easier for same watts. And especially on the back with a mild tailwind-essentially still by now. 220w felt like 180w and I was gaining 3-4mph at same hr w/o wind.

I think my GRP of 150w ~16.5-17mph HR 112-115 for first ~1hr then 170-180w 18.5mph HR 120-124 seems reasonable [Flat & no wind] Of course the course is rollers with a few steep climbs and expected 6-9mph winds .. but I know feel I can adjust well enough as I've been riding rollers and much windier, with even a 6-10+deg (1/4mile)climb etc and rarely get my watts up to even threshold (the 10deg needs up to 300w the last 20 yards but its not enough to even get my hr up over 130) Sooo. all seeeeems OK for race.

Totally forgot about the run.

's not gona happen now. heading to tub w/beer in hand.

Gota accept I'm as ready as I'm gona get. Time to work a couple kinks with the tennis ball and foam roller....get much more sleep (Priority now!) and start the packing -and check list checking.

I feel like Ive never done an Ironman!   -Heck I still cant get that I just did (several) 100+ mile bike rides - even felt "good" after last 112RR.  Maybe this race will be fun-ish   image

• Options

I must say that I was totally unmotivated to get out and do the world today even after watching the boys of the TdF struggle up the mountains, but I did and one I got out there I felt pretty good. I got all my intervals easily with low VI and my legs haven't felt this fresh in months. The run went well. I didn't do the Z4 part because I'm in speed work jail until my Achilles gets 100%, but I did z2 and better fit the whole run and that's good enough for me one week out.

Tomorrow I'll put on my bike wrench hat and and get our bikes race ready and then start packing for the drive to Guerneville.

• Options
    @Antoinette, I've finished 3 IM branded events and the only finishers gear I have are the hats they give out, sorry I can't recommend anything. Congrats on the 5K PR! Good luck with packing for so many. Similar to Jen, I'm not looking forward to just packing for myself!

@David, way to get that ride done in the windy conditions! You've done a lot of work, follow your race strategy and it will be fun!

Well, I didn't swim yesterday so now it's been over a week. I got to the pool and there was a swim meet going on. I can't say I was extremely disappointed, lol. I am going to try to get an OWS in tomorrow if the weather cooperates.

I hit the run first today and got in 4.9 miles. Hit Z4 for a little while and then sub-Z3 for the remainder. The paces definitely didn't feel as challenging as previous weeks! http://connect.garmin.com/activity/544685872

I got on the bike a few hours later for 2.5 hours. Felt pretty good on the ride too. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/545072989

Hope everyone is starting to feel good and excited to race next weekend!
  • Options
    @Mark, nice work, way to get out there and get it done!
  • Options
    Finally got a swim in today. 1.5 miles in Lake Ontario. My first time swimming there in 7 years. This was my first swim in 9 days. I still felt good out there and the shoulder didn't cause any problems. http://connect.garmin.com/activity/546035149

Tomorrow starts race week!!!! YEAH!
  • Options
    @ Doug, way to go. Glad to hear your shoulder didn't bother you.
  • Options
    Looks like everyone is getting the final workouts done....nice work!

I hit the pool 2x this week and got 1 OWS in as well. Also got in my midweek bike/run and my longish but not so long run on Thursday. The run felt pretty good. Yesterday was a big family day for me so I pushed my Saturday bike n run to today. 2:20 on the bike followed by :30min z4/z2 run - both felt great today! After :45 min on the bike, my legs woke up and felt more fresh than they have in awhile. Hit my zones after on the run without issue. Taper does wonders.

Now, along with everyone else, I'm dreading the packing process! I feel like there is so much to do before I leave town on Thurs morning. I hate to say it (since I know it'll change 10 more times), but the weather is shaping up for Sunday image

A good week to everyone and safe travels!
  • Options
    Well this weekend consisted of some local races. I did the sprint on Saturday. 1.13.39. 8th in my age group and 60th overall. Sunday I was part of a relay team. I did the swim in a choppy crazy ocean just under a mile. My friend a cancer survivor did the bike leg, she rocked the 28 miles. Totally inspired me ....
  • Options
    @Simon, good stuff. An excellent way to go into race week with some true motivation!
  • Options
    light swim this morning -not feeling toooooo bad.....here's hoping. I have been doing "shoulder packing" with band...getting a good massage tonight and both shoulders injected tomorrow...... light bike/run and early bed (early wake for Army image ) got 8 full hrs sleep last night !
  • Options
    FORUM BOMB!!!!! Wanted to hijack your forum and tell you guys good luck!!! Y'all are kind of awesome (but you already knew that didn't you?!) Have an amazing race!
  • Options
    Thanks Mariah, EN is going to crush Lake Placid!