Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

2014 IMMT Week 17

Yesterday I took the day off and spend the day with my kids.  I took them wakeboarding and got to watch my 11 year old get up on the board for the first time.  Now I'm inspired and looking forward to the last FTP test and longest training run of the season.  How is everyone feeling?  Bring it on week 17.  

Comments

• Options
    Monday I did my first outside run since breaking 5th metatarsal June 12... It was only 3 miles, but it felt awesome to take that step! Last week, I had 12 miles on the AlterG, yesterday 4 AlterG + the 3 outside... Going to mix AlterG, normal treadmill and outside running, starting with shorter two-a-days rather than long sessions to build volume on the way to IMMT.

I keep thinking about all the people walking the second half of the run... With a little luck and a lot of focus over the next few weeks, I won't be that guy!

:-)
  • Options
    PSA: don't forget to find a time to schedule a tune up for your bike. if you are using TBT don't forget about the extra time that is needed for shipping. I have mine scheduled for early next week so I can make sure everything is running nice and smoothly during final RR. Definitely worth the time and money to have the bike cleaned and everything tuned up. We have trained this much, make sure your machine is in good working order. happy training. I guess it is just about time for an FTP test....
  • Options

@David - bike is in the shop right now for a complete check-up and a few upgrades.  Hopefully back tomorrow.

Left leg feels rather shin splinty right now and has since late last week.  But, did I go for my Saturday run even though it was achy?  Of course I did - even though I knew better. So, standing down for a few days (and wearing tennis shoes and no flip flops as they seem to exaggerate the problem) except for swimming and TRX. Bike test will wait a few days - I think it's most important to rest it in prep for the Thursday long run RR.  

• Options
    Last FTP test of the season is in the books now. Improved 12 watts over my last test but still 5 watts below my PR. Getting old sucks.
  • Options
    FTP test complete last night....was an ugly/long day @ work, dirty bike from 6 hr rainfest on sat, and weather was hot/humid....no mojo.... decided to give it a go anyway....low and behold a new PR...up 15 watts from 10 weeks ago...not sure where that come from but I'll take it....getting ready for the long run tomorrow and another 6 hr long hilly ride sat with a IMMT buddy

@ david - good reminder on the bike tune up - new tires/tubes/chain are in order...anything for a few more watts :-)

I'm sure we're all feeling the overall fatigue is at its highest level....even minor life stresses seem major...only 1 more week till taper time...thankfully
  • Options
    Bike scheduled for tune up, thanks for the reminder. I feel like my body is falling apart. I was stung in the face above the eye by a wasp on Sunday during the ABP. Face still to swollen to wear goggles comfortably but managed a 30 min. swim at the hotel pool. Traveling all week but have gotten in the runs just no biking.
  • Options

I am so tired and my quads are crying to the touch.  I've iced, stretched, had them deep tissued to get the junk out and nothing.  mojo is waning and fear is rising.  

• Options
    Did my Run RR today due to work and thunder storms tomorrow.
    18.75miles in 2:38
    1st 4 @ 9MIN pace then 2 @ 8:45 then 5 at 8:30 then 2 @ 8:15 then 2 @ 8:05 then 3.75 @ 7:45
    hamstring held up pretty well. Not perfect but trying to keep good form and fire the glutes so less stress on the hammy. Longest run in over a year, not counting Challenge AC which was only slightly more running and the rest walking. Hopefully this bodes well for a better run at IMMT.
  • Options
    @Cathleen - this is exactly how I felt this weekend. My schedule is a little wonky and I needed to do my test last Thursday night. I tried riding Saturday morning and after about 40 miles everything was falling apart. My legs were on fire, I couldn't maintain power levels... then my head started falling apart / doubt was creeping in. Sunday morning, everything just felt used up.

My answer was to take a couple days off / with a very light schedule. By now - I can't wait for the weekend. Sometimes, you just need to let yourself recover a little. The schedule is really hard right now - I think a lot of us are feeling just like you.

No need to worry... recover then push through this last cycle. By the time you are half way through the taper you will be jumping out of your skin with energy and you will have to hold yourself back.

You've got this - 95% of the work is behind us!
  • Options
    Long run this morning since I had to shuffle things due to work and kids. Started at 4:20am, which is pretty lonely. Legs seriously not happy with me from like mile 2 on....no joke, I was playing all kinds of mental mind games to cut it short. I even got rained on. Felt way too sluggish and am hoping this is just a result of the heavy training volume thus far. I swear, I'm still in a hole from camp weekend.
    In any case, knocked out 20 miles at a steady 8:20 pace. I really wanted to run faster for my last long run, but as soon as I started out, I knew I'd just have to run by feel and not set any real targets. Slowest long run to date, but I'll take it. This time last year, I wasn't running at all....and hadn't for a month. I kept reminding myself of that when it really started sucking this morning.
    Now the real challenge.....making it through the work day without A) falling asleep on my desk or B) eating everything in sight.
  • Options

hang in there all.

let go of the dread.       Tremblant is a fun race!      and what will happen on the day will happen.  

for those of you having problems with the long long runs, perhaps consider shorting them a bit and increasing the intensity.       i have had success with caping long runs at 2 hours in the past.  

regarding the bike.      on your second loop, the second out and back portion.           Consider approaching this as a fun treat before you get to start the run.      grind up the sequence of small hills, turn around, and have a fun sleigh ride before getting to transition.     i really did have fun with this two years ago.

• Options
    @ Sue, Mary, Cathleen...hang in there, you're almost to the end of the training, then the magic of the taper begins.  Rest is a wonderful thing the last couple of weeks before an IM.  You'll be alright by Aug 17 as it is still over 3 weeks off.  All of us are feeling tired and sore to some degree so know that what you're going thru is normal & expected (well maybe not the wasp sting for Mary).  Just do each workout as best you can given your life situation and get plenty of sleep and good stuff to eat.
  • Options

Kori, sounds like a good run in the larger scheme of things considering you did not feel that great.  Even if slower for you, it was 20 miles at a steady pace which is all good.  I'm looking forward to seeing you again in MT and your final results, which I predict will be terrific!  Take care.

• Options

Robert, Great ability to descend your miles.  I'm sure this will serve you well in IMMT.  Looking forward to meeting you there.

• Options
    Hey Team - Life/work been a little crazy, but will start checking in more.... Training going ok and improving on my end.... Few weeks back was having so much issues with my hamstring that I ended up getting a couple of steroid shots. But starting to feel much better. Got in some descent riding this past weekend (even if did bonk in 95 degree heat) and was able to get in a long run last week. Hoping to get in another tomorrow. Trying to get back the form I had at the Boulder 70.3 when felt good....At least the swimming is going well....

3-weeks out to travel day - think I'll be training pretty good till the last week....But will all be fun! Look forward to seeing all soon....
  • Options
    RR run completed. Started at 6am in 90% humidity (70% dew point). It was a sloppy sticky mess, but 18 miles later it was over. Started cramping in the lower legs/feet toward the end- I attribute that to forgetting my salt tabs (what was I thinking?!?). Will not make this mistake at the race. Nutrition was dialed in and felt good for most of the run. The humidity was a huge factor on my heart rate so I had to slow the pace so I wouldn't crash and burn at mile 11. Overall, happy I was able to complete the 18 miles this morning, but not without a lot of talking to in my head...here's to hoping TREMBLANT has minimal humidity image
  • Options
    @Bruce - thanks for the encouragement - this leg issue is now troubling...

Got the long run done this morning (17 miles), starting at 5:30. Must say it was nice and cool with low humidity (sorry the weather sucked Danielle - the heat and humidity you did it in makes you a Rock Star!). Tried to run the paces but the shin splint (or whatever it is) is now impacting the flexing of my ankle, my mid-foot, and up my shin. Running downhill was almost painful at times. But, had to finish. RICEing like it's my job! On my honor (making the Girl Scout sign), I promise not to do any more running until next week!

On the plus side, I found some used Zipp 404s on Ebay (with the aluminum brake track that I wanted) and they should be here today!  Goodbye stock wheels!  Yippee!

• Options

Also got the 3 hour RR done today, 17 miles. First what I am grateful for: 1.thunderstorms rolled through last night pushing out the humidity and lowering temps about 10 degrees - much better day for this than say yesterday; 2. it's done!

Feel like hydration/nutrition/salt were on track, returned 2.5lbs lighter but don't feel like that impacted the run. With this run behind me I feel like I can see the end of the training tunnel - and that's a good feeling! Long swim tomorrow, another long ride Saturday but they're manageable.

• Options

Good work Chris, Sue and Danielle.   I'm doing my long run tonite after work.  18 miles staring me in the face.

@ Sue...now get yourself an aero helmet and you'll really save time (and look like a tri geek).

• Options
    Good work team! Sounds like folks are on target.

My RR went...well, it went. I didn't reach my goal but ...I got it done. 14.3 miles in 3:23. Yes, there was some walking breaks in there. I feel my nutrition was fine. I've always been slow and I haven't been getting a lot of long mileage in so I think my body is/was just not ready to do more. I just hope I can pull it off race day. Fortunately my cycling has been going well so I'm counting on having plenty of time to do the marathon. Fingers crossed!
  • Options
    Good job, all! I'm absolutely counting down the last few long/difficult workouts....
    I had originally planned to wear my Team Betty kit for the race, but I seriously think I need to wear my EN kit. I'm so looking forward to racing with you crazy kids, that I want to be able to absorb all of the mojo we give each other. :-)
  • Options
    Great job everyone on today's RR runs!!!
    @Bruce-good luck on your 18 tonight!
    @Kori-absolutely consider sporting the EN. If I can get my tri top in time, I'm hoping to as well!

Question to the ladies of the group over 35...is it true we are the LAST swim wave???
  • Options
    @ Kori...I know you're fast in Team Betty black, but you'll be even faster in EN red.  Red is the fastest color.
  • Options

Happy to get my RR run done this morning.  18.1 miles in 2:55.  I did it the way I was supposed to.  About 10:15/ mile the first 60', 9:45/ the next 90', and about 8:30/ in last 30'.  I haven't run that far in many, many years, so I was actually looking forward to it.  This gives me some confidence for IMMT run -- after hitting my watts on the bike, of course.   Be safe.  

• Options

RR completed today with my sister Trish!   2:45 and 18 miles of quads burning, knees hurting at a  9:06 pace, last week did 17.5 miles at 8:36 pace.  I'm toast, my body hates me.  wah wah wah.  Stood in the chilled lake afterwards to simmer the beasts.

Rich , thank you for the pep talk.  I'm taking tomorrow off.

• Options
    Wow...so glad to have that DONE!

Did a little experiment b=of running by HR only today, with Coach P's permission. The run went well overall, but I don't think I can run that fast on race day. Got my 18 done in 2:53:xx for 9:38's. A very good long run for me, but I don't see it happening on the day. The last 2 miles I pushed, but didn't really go very fast. A little faster, but not fast lol. image

I tried something a little different with nutrition and now know to stick with what worked at IMAZ.

Kori...I wore my brand new EN red visor, as I'll be sporting the Fraser Green Kit on race day. But come the run, you all will know I'm part of the cool kid club too. image

I'm looking forward to seeing you all in CA!

PS...Chris Love...my mantra on the run still stands. My BUTT hurts! LOL! image
  • Options
    PSS...This run was so much better running with my Sister from another Mister, Cathleen. She graced me with her presence till it was time for her to gallup away! Wading in the lake post run was awesome!!! image
  • Options

I'll be honest, reading all of these reports during the day, knowing that I wasn't going to start my run until later in the afternoon was both motivating and a harsh reminder of what was coming ahead. Well, the wait was worth it, had a great run, and feeling good in the aftermath.

I got super lucky with the weather - 71 degrees, 41% humidity, wind out of the north (ran middle 8 miles straight into the wind)

Plan was to run 9:15 x 6, 8:45 x 8, 8:15 x 4 for a total of 18.  Pacing is based off of run paces during training.  I have found that I have a tough time keeping up with the paces my VDOT suggests on the long distance courses.  To put into perspective - HIM pace in early june was 8:34.  It might have been conservative, but I wanted to see if I could a) keep those paces, and b) run the entire time.

Run started out great.  The first 6 miles were 9:04 (all downhill), 9:13, 9:12, 9:17, 9:08, 9:04 - I was very proud of myself for staying slow even with the wind at my back.

Next 8 miles - running into wind along the lakefront, 8:54, 8:56, 8:45, 8:40, 8:50, 8:44, 8:48, 8:45.  Nailed it.  Was very excited to have paced to evenly.  HR mid 140's which is where it should be for me to feel comfortable for long distance.

Final 4 miles 8:31, 8:27, 8:30, 8:16.  Might have not got down as fast as I wanted, but still was able to get faster than rest of run and muscles felt good.  Had typical knee discomfort that came and went around mile 17 - that happened last year at IMMOO too....nothing that I am going to fret about now, maybe more IT band rolling in the next few weeks.

As I approached mile 18 I was all smiles.  I felt great.  Total time 2:39

Consumed 52 oz of gatorade/poweraid (bought more on the road)...and still lost 3.5 pounds...eep.

To all - great work today...keep it up, we are almost there!

@ Kori - wear the EN kit - so much Mojo to be had - and plus I want to know who is saying hello to me when you pass me on the bike (similar to grand rapids)

• Options
    Wow - we all deserve a high-five - great work by everyone!!

@Bruce - how did your run go? if I get that helmet, my new name will be Wilma!
  • Options
    home late from work AGAIN....didn't finish wko till 8:45....yuk....hit the TM for RR....insures consistant pacing and softer run surface minimizes leg trashing....15 mi....2:40....60 min @ z1 + 100 min @ z2/z3....72 oz perform + 2 gu=no weight loss....actually feel pretty good this a.m. ....massage @ noon today :-)....ready for another big weekend!!

@ red is faster....i just oredr new tires/tubes yesterday.....vittoria w/red stripe & pink latex tubes...and a new D/A chain

one more week of LONG wko's