Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Race Camp Weekend

On Thursday, I accidently slept in and missed the swim due to a 2 hr massage that was scheduled at noon. I was also feeling really dehydrated and figured the massage and lots of hydrating would benefit me for the Friday fun fest ride.

Friday ride! Told a friend I would be ready to ride at 0640....apparently my body wanted a little extra sleep and missed the alarm! Only by a little though. The plan was to do 3 loops of a tri course that is very similar to IMLOU. We were rolling by 0700. Unfortunately my friend seems to attract flats for her fellow riders, and yes, I had one. Lucky me it was on the pain in the ass rear wheel! Grrr. Pulled over, and got it changed. Then back on the road to get the first loop done. Second loop, a friend came by and gave us the bestest cold water ever!!! That w as awesome. For the third loop, my friend departed to her house, she had a massage scheduled, and I was on my own for the final loop. Got in a total of 90 miles for 5:15 of riding time. Put the bike away, put on run items, and discovered, no garmin or watch, but I did have a fancy stopwatch. Oh, well....do things the old fashioned way. No idea how far or fast I ran, but it was an hour.

Saturday ride- the plan was to travel about an hour and a half from where I live for different scenery and an organized ride. Started with the 100 milers....very ambitious....it was cold, rainy, and my legs felt like lead! I kept telling myself, "this is where the magic happens". After a couple of descents, a fellow rider suggested I check my rear wheel since it looked wobbly. HA! I did this, and well, I did not put the rear wheel back on correctly from the day before and it was dragging through the seat stays. Once that was fixed, the ride was so much easier!!!! My legs felt a lot better! Lesson learned- CHECK your wheels!!! However, I was still tired, cranky, and cold. I decided I would do the ride I should do instead of the ride I could do. It would still give me at least 60. Oh wait, I was wrong!! The course was marked wrong and I ended up with 68!!! LOL! Yep, jokes on me, but I am better for it!!! By the time the ride was done I was seriously nauseous and knew I had not refueled properly from Friday. So I tried to eat and made myself drink fluids as much as possible. No beer for me :-(

Sunday run- well....still nauseous and feeling dehydrated from the previous days. Tried to get ride of the upset stomach to no avail. So, I thought why not strap on your run things and go give it  a whirl. Lets try to make this happen! Maybe if I begin to walk, then run, I will feel better!  I kept my route close to home in the event things didn't go so well. Well, things went progressively downhill. I bought some Gatorade at the local gas station and then found a nice porch swing in the shade to sit on. Yes, I stayed there and tried to figure out my next move. At some point logic told me, GO HOME! Being so dehydrated is going to put you at a negative state in the end. So, I crossed the road and headed home for the last mile...A little over 6 miles completed. The time, well I turned off the Garmin, cause I didn't need it to tell me I was moving Slllloooooooooow!!  

Recovered with several cans of Chicken noodle soup and Pedialite! Wahoooo!!!

Completed the 4200 yard swim today faster than I have been in the pool so I am happy about that.

Now, I'm hoping I start to feel the magic from those 3 hard days!

Oh, I do remember thinking in the last mile, there are no effing unicorns, rainbows, or gumdrops right now!! So there better be some freaking magic soon!!