Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

2014 IMMT Week 18

Here we go.  Week 18.  What say you ENrs?  Today was a swim/rest day for me and my body is thanking me for it.  The accumulated work is clearly taking it's toll and from last weeks posts it does not look like I am the only one.  With 2 weeks to go I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I hope it's not an oncoming train this time.

BTW I am envious of all of you that have hills to train on. There is nothing but pancake flat land in eastern NC.

Comments

• Options
    Complete rest day for me today; don't care what the plan says.  I rode 123 miles in 5:58 on Sat.  On Sunday I rode 67 more in 3:18 then ran 6 in 50:05, then swam 2000 meters.  Back at it tomorrow.
  • Options

With ya Bruce on the no workout day yesterday - except TRX.  It was heavenly. 

Was able to cross a few to-do's off my list around the house - except that I got my klutz on ... went to try and dig a hole in rock hard soil to plant some flowers that have been sitting in pots for a month.  Jumped on the shovel in my flip flops (stupid is ...) and the shovel didn't go in but flung me backwards onto the driveway and I hit my *ss end and tailbone.  First though was "let me be okay 'cause MT is almost here!"  Spent the rest of the evening with lots of ibuprofen on board and ice bags on my *ss.  Hubby commented that I looked like a SNL skit!  Feel better today but definitely sore and taking more ibuprofen.  Please don't let me do anything else stupid for the next three weeks. Will try some light running tonight.

• Options
    Complete rest day for me today...planned to swim today (I'm a day behind everyone-today's wko was suppose to be Mondays), but opted for a 90 minute massage this morning. Big week on deck, so I figured a swim day off won't do too much damage to the overall fitness. ??
  • Options
    I would much rather read these posts than go out for my run. I. Am. Exhausted. I completed my swim in Walden Pond ( far better than counting infinite numbers while following a black line in the pool.). It looks like everyone else is feeling just as tired. Deep breaths and embrace the pain cave. We are almost there!
    Stephanie
  • Options
    Yep...Tired is right.  I just dozed off in a hotel lobby waiting for a business colleague to arrive for a meeting.
  • Options
    Mon hit the pool for interval wko....just finished Tuesday wko....2x1 run + 4000 swim + admin = 2:45 @ the Y....yuk...I know coach R math no good cuz my swim was much closer to 90

@ TIRED - that's me for sure....can't wait for taper....so far behind on domestic chores/sleep/etc.
  • Options
    Hey Team - Like most - took Monday off - was going to get up and swim and after 200+ miles on the bike from Friday - decided the sleep would be better for me.... Ran 5 miles yesterday - did some intervals - but that's all the time I had while traveling for work. Today, did 8 miles with Dave Scott's run group - did hill work in the poring rain, which was maybe a blessing as it was cooler... Swimming tonight with Bruce (in town for business) - Long run tomorrow morning - then swim again and then hitting the EN Boulder Ironman dinner to meet the folks and help them with any course questions..... Starting to see all the folks coming into town for the race on Sunday - Will be volunteering at a run aid station that folks pass 6 times - should be interesting....

Keep up the great work - almost there....
  • Options
    I too have played with the schedule. I had to do both my long run ( 18 mile on Thurs in 2:53). Swam on Friday and then did my RR bike on Saturday! Bike was strong 103 miles in 5:30 with a NP of 160. My target for IMMT is 155 so I'm happy with that. This week is normal, but I'm tired. Sat & sun I'll do regular 2 hr rides as we are away for a family reunion.

Looking forward to tapering and meeting everyone Thurs for dinner!

We are so close!
  • Options
    also played with schedule

swim & run on monday

run tuesday

swim & bike yesterday

hacked a longer run today as I just don't have enough in with time taken off in early july for kilimanjaro.

Ran 18 at an average of 8:28, feel pretty good after which is not usually the case for me after long runs and I know i felt good pushing some of the later miles (miles 15, 16 & 17 are uphill on my route)

on track for a good RR weekend!
  • Options
    Inspired by the team and fueled with Ben Greenfields UCAN cocktail I redid my FTP test. The result was a 6 watt PR instead of my less than stellar performance last week. And that was after yesterday's 1:45 long run as I took had to juggle the schedule around. Next up is a week vacation on Camen Island where all do me last RR. Almost. Full Monty, including travel check list and bike disassembly and assembly.
  • Options
    been following the schedule here...wed bike struggled to hit z4 but got it done...last long run in the books....RR on sat with potential ugly weather...then long swim sun...so looking forward to scaling back next week
  • Options

4000 m swim today.       swim is the only thing still affected by the chest injury but is improving.

biking and running is coming together well.

perhaps think about your swim starts and visualizations.     start each swim workout like you would the race with a hard few hundred meters.     visualize the panic you might feel.       inhale some water to simulate what happens when you inhale water shortly after the race start.    think about being swum over.     think about what you will do mentally, in the race moment, to overcome these issues.

• Options

Good  work everyone!!  I hope people are seeing the light at the end of the training tunnel.

I swam 4300 meters this am.  wanted to do a little more than the race distance to build confidence.

• Options
    Day behind everyone so today was my long run. Have to admit, did not follow the protocol and run the z1 progressive pace run image. Felt good this morning so decided to run 1:45 at a z2-3pace. Ended up negative splitting a 12.5 miler and finishing with a smile image.
  • Options
    RR done....96 + 6....2 lap course...1st lap legs weren't feeling the luv...10 watts below goal...2nd lap was much better...on target watts...run was hot/humid....resting today
  • Options

I'm going with a 3 week taper so I did my RR last weekend.  Went well.  I rode 123 miles in 5:58 at avg 20.5 mpg, 197 NP.  Skipped the run since my heel was tender from last Thurs long run.

This weekend I rode 83 miles yesterday 212 NP and ran 6 @ 8:25 avg pace.  Today I rode 45 in 2:15, 219 NP as I pushed hard for about 25 miles in the middle.  Then ran 5 in 41:00, avg 8:12 pace.  Took a nap, ran some errands & finished the day with a 4000 meter swim.  Time for a beer and a taper. 

• Options
    Finished off week 18 on a high note. 112+ 6. First 100 was smooth, fast, felt like I was riding easier than week before and was much faster. Last 12 felt good, was slow due to lights, stops signs and way too many people on the path. 6 mile run in a downpour which started 30 seconds after leaving my house. I think I ran the entire time with a smile. I'm so excited for the race. But in the meantime, I am going to crush this taper! With the amount of work we have put in, we have definitely earned the rest.
  • Options
    Since I did Challenge AC 5 weeks ago, I didn't feel like doing an RR. Instead, I did a hilly century in Pennsylvania since I haven't seen a hill since the Blue Ridge Parkway in May. I was going to try to stay .70-.75 for 60miles then .75-.8 for the last 40. With my compact and 11-25, I did the 100 with 8,000 ft of climbing in .88 IF and a VI of 1.18 and a TSS of 477. I actually felt really strong the last 40 miles. I don't know if I could have run a fast marathon afterwards. I learned that my FTP is probably higher then I have been using, I need an 11-28 (which has been ordered and will be here in two days), I cannot ride with that kind of VI at IMMT, and for a decaf drinker I really love caffeinated gels. I need this taper to absorb all this work.
  • Options
    RR#2 Disaster. Grand Cayman Heat + Nutrition failure + Crash. At least I'm in paradise.
  • Options
    Week 18 went fairly well.

I did my long run on Wednesday to accommodate a dinner with friends who were moving to Vancouver.

Plan for the rest of the week was a trip to Tremblant to get some final training hours done out on the course. Recon swim on Friday went well, swam the 3800 metres in an average time for me - so should be good for race day, and bagged the Friday run as I was having some discomfort in my right hamstring, coupled with a fantastic black bruise across the back of my leg. Saturday morning got up at 5am and started my RR bike at 6am. Did two loops of the bike course and then a 60 min run at Z1 plus 30 seconds. It went well! If I can execute the bike the same way on race day, I will be a happy girl. It set me up well for the run, and we all know that everything we do is meant to set us up for mile 18.

Now it's time to apply the bubble wrap and get tapered up!
  • Options
    Heal up guys. The last two weeks I always ride just a little bit nervous as it seems the crashes occur in the last few weeks. Recover and taper. The hay is in the barn and all that stuff. No fitness gains to be had just sharpening the tools. Anyone have any other metaphors?