Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jacklyn Sprint race report

Jacklyns Tri at the Grove Sprint race report

What a beautiful, misty morning.  Found an email from Coach P. wishing me luck and ate my breakfast of yogurt, fruit and coffee.  Grabbed my bags and headed out.  We were camped about 5 minutes from the race venue.  We were there early enough to get a good parking spot and be one of the first to set up. I was able to get right next to the exit in transition.  Then sat back and watched the show. 

0730- Time to change into my wet suit, suck down my fruit smoothie thing (Yuk) and get into staging.  I LOVE body glide.  Who ever made that stuff should get an award! I then stuck a tentative toe into the lake expecting it to be brisk like the day before. Nope.  Felt like a warm bath. Ya baby! Went for a quick out and back.  Love my wet suit. Water temp. 74 degrees.

0805- Gun went off and 100 pink caped ladies waded into Cottage Grove Lake to do battle.  The swim to the first marker was intense.  I expected the washing machine effect but I didn’t account for not being able to get enough room to start swimming. I ended up breast stroking to the first marker.  People were ALL over.  I had placed myself on the right, outside of the pack towards the back.  I wasn’t sure where I belonged.  Made it thru the log jam at the turn, then I was able to get some space.  I was able to open up the V8 and get to work.  My stroke felt awesome. My elbows were high, stroke long and smooth.  I started picking people off, fast!  I was able to swim up into the front of the pack by the 2nd marker.  By the third marker I was almost into the sprint men.  By the turn home I was picking the men off too.  Coach P. tips for sighting worked great. I was on course all the way.  I had a hard time getting around the markers because people were trying to go single file.  So I ended up treading water.  Need to be more aggressive.  On to T1.

T1- Didn’t feel rushed. Blew a kiss to my daughter and was off.  Best part was my stoic dad yelling,” Get your butt moving!  Go get’em!”  Hahahha.  My dad never gets excited.

The bike course is open.  Had to play cat and mouse with log trucks, etc.  My bike is where I shine.  Heart rate 150-167 bpm.  Someone told me to “ride it like you stole it.”  Check.  Ended up behind a gal who was pacing about equal to me but she was a masher and couldn’t climb.  Stayed on her 6 until we got to the only significant hill.  Yes Coach I passed her going uphill.  I was maintaining 20mph at the bottom of the hill and knew she was going to slow down.  It cost me to pass her but I wasn’t going to lose my momentum.  Crested the hill, pedaled the technical descent with a wicked left hand corner at the bottom.  WEEEEE.  My bike is awesome!  On to T2.

T2- the only mistake I made. I had forgotten to untie my shoe laces and they were tied double.  Oh well. 

Running is not where I excel.  The first mile was hard.  My inner thighs were really tight.  By the 1 mile marker I was up to speed.  Heart rate 160+.  Walked the aide station for a glass of water. Coming out of the water station I finally relaxed and started smiling. I knew I was home free. Ended up behind an older lady running faster than me.  I paced off her until I saw the finishers tent.  Then passed her and cruised across the line.  The best part was my daughter walking in front of me ringing her cow bell saying,” Excuse us. First place TrI mom coming thru.”

SWIM:  00:25:59.206

T1:         00:02:09.908

BIKE:      00:41:54.544

T2:          00:01:59.522

RUN:      00:34:16.171

Final time: 01:46:19.3

Lessons learned,

Place myself in the starting gate opposite the direction of the turn around the markers so as not to be caught in the log jam at the turns.  I’d rather swim a little farther to maintain my rhythm.  Then end up traped waiting my turn.

T2 Untie my shoes.  Duh!

Eat a gel in T1. I got hungry on the bike.  I was drinking on the bike. Had a gel in T2, while untying my shoes.

The race was rolling out at a good clip. I was able to anticipate, plan and execute nicely.  Had no problem thinking through what was coming next. I had changed my category to Athena.  I was determined to place in my new category.  There were plenty of ladies who fit the category but I was the only one brave enough to say I weighed 165+.  I was a little bummed that I was alone. But I enjoyed getting my first place beer glass.  If I had been in the AG competition I would have placed 7thout of 14.  I don’t know if I’ll do the Athena thing again. 

With better placement on the swim and improving my run fitness, I think my times will drop nicely.  Oh, by the way, thanks EN for everything!

“I LOVED IT! MY RACE WAS AWESOME!”

Amy, Me and Jessie

Comments

• Options
    @Jackie - Nice execution. It seems like you are off to a great start! I find that each race will give you an idea of areas where you can improve and each time I read through the resources in the wiki, I find new information to help that improvement. Great work!
  • Options
    Well done Jacklyn. Sorry I couldn't make it down there, focused on following my HIM plan and needing to get my weekend workouts done...
    Maybe see you at Best in the West?
  • Options
    Jacklyn good stuff there with a lesson learned too.
  • Options

@ David- No worries! Saw your workout on Strava. Nice work. We'll be there. I have a large group coming. My dad is hooked. Pay backs for all the blue grass festivals when I was a kid. 

• Options
    Congratulations on a great race Jacklyn! Glad you had an "awesome" experience! The more of them you do, the more you will be hooked!