Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

5 Weeks Out

Good Morning Team and Happy Monday image

I AM EXHAUSTED. After the extended camp weekend, I am resting hard today.  After 300 miles in 3 days on the bike, and a 16 mile run Sunday to cap off the weekend-I am doing as much resting as I possibly can today.  

I can't believe we only have about 3 weeks of training left...before the taper.  Let's hit it this week team.  image And if you have not updated the team event form yet, please do-info about the team dinner Ironman weekend will be coming out soon!

Comments

• Options
    Does anyone have the link to register for the IMWI Four Keys talk? Rich mentioned it this weekend, but I simply cannot find it...
  • Options
    3 weeks of kick assery left! Hard to believe but exciting! I'm hitting the pool and the dreadmill today to begin the week.
  • Options

http://thefourkeyswi.splashthat.com/

Good meeting you at camp Mike! Wish you great training for the run-in to the race!

Did I see you and Chris at the BP on my return on the run? If so, you must have passed me while I was in Walgreen's restocking Gatorade and dripping sweat all over the counter. The clerk was pretty cool about it though. I got two because I thought I'd run into some EN'ers that could use one but didn't, so I took a couple big slugs of it (kind of warm by that point) and put it in recycling just before the turn back off the lake and my stomach was doing back flips when I passed you guys. Ran into Dan along the way and we managed to get a block off course, but figured it out and got back on track for the run back to Monona Terrace.

Great camp! I was tempted to go do the loop a couple more times this weekend for the long ride and was explaining to my wife why and describing how technical it was by giving her a complete run down on Garfoot's hills and turns and realized I don't need to do another rehearsal ride because I know it pretty well.  Probably a good idea to make some notes while it is fresh though. I'll post a link to a video I found that will be useful in another post.

• Options
    Video from about 2008 of the Bike Course (he also has swim and run posted) http://simplystu.com/simply_stu_44_ironman_wisconsin_bike_preview_video

Great review for those who were at camp or rode it on their own or nice recon opportunity for those who haven't had the chance to be on the course yet.
  • Options
    In short, I'm more or less doing the camp THIS week...we had important kid business to attend to last week. Took off enough time last week from work that I can't take full days off...so I'm still having to modify it a bit. Started out with a 60 mi ride today.

This will not be my best trained IM, but I'm gonna do my best to get there.

• Options
    Steve - Thanks for the link!

Yes, we were at BP, I saw you fly by... We shortened the run by not going down the lakeshore path and back, that is probably how we got ahead of you. We still ran, well walked, Observatory Drive, which I am glad we did - it was good to see that. My hotel was being very inflexible about giving me a late check-out and I needed to shower before driving back home so we lopped off a little of the run. We ended up getting lost on our return trip to Monona Terrace, missed the turn on to Spring Street and the Bike path, we ended up on Regent and sort of free-styled our way back to Monona so I ended up w/11 miles. I am looking forward to the run course, there are enough turns and landscape to make the run interesting to keep my attention. :-) Thankfully it will be well marked on race day!

• Options
    After having last Friday off, doing only 40 on Sat due to mechanical, and 15 miles on Sunday - I can only imagine how smoked I would be if I had put in some the work you did over camp week. What a stud team you are:o)!!

Took Monday off, and only got about 2500 in the pool today due to work - was still feeling pretty lagged. Looking forward to the rest of the week - friends in town on Saturday, so will be getting the long bike in on Sunday. Just have to keep reminding myself that the light at the end of the tunnel is getting brighter.

Thanks for the links. Signed up for 4 Keys, and watched the course link…again. I've found the same on Youtube and have watched two or three times. If anyone wants to let me tag along on, or ride with me, on a course recon race week, I'm game.

Have a great week!

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks for the 4-keys link Steven I could not find it either.

Modified camp is better than no camp William! It may not be your best trained Ironman but you have what it takes to get there.

Swam and ran mile intervals at the track yesterday. My legs are still fatigued from the volume l I have had lately. I'm looking forward to the run/bike tonight. Plus after training I have a massage scheduled (BONUS!)

My bib number is 2172

If it wasn't real before it is now!

Happy recovery and training this week team!
  • Options
    Whew, what a tough run yesterday! Legs felt pretty good after Wednesday's bike FTP sessions but were heavy and tired at the end of my long run yesterday. In the pool today, then back on the bike this weekend - yippie... :-)
  • Options
    I hear ya Mike! I felt the same way. I had a great solid bike/run on Wednesday. Yesterday starting the run out I felt heavy and tired. It was a hard mental effort to get through the run. I'm looking forward to the bike this weekend.
  • Options
    Sounds like everyone is draggin a little - me too. Haven't been doing two-a-days, but bike Wednesday felt good, run 16.5 on Thursday starting a little grumpy, but overall went well; swim this morning was draggin ass... I somehow bettered my time, though my splits were slower, so maybe I swam too long last time (fingers crossed:o) I'm not going to know what to do when I'm tapered:o) yeehaw!!
  • Options
    Great job getting in all the workouts in this week team-even if it was reluctantly image I'm finally feeling myself after camp week, rode 80 yesterday and ran 16 this morning at marathon pace. So back in action for 2 last big weeks!

I'm bib 705 image

William-I'd love to hear how your camp week has been going! It took me out this week.

Happy Sunday team-4 weeks from right now we'll be in the middle of the big dance image
  • Options
    And William- I love the armband fundraiser. I hope we can have many of our team representing with them at IMWI.
  • Options
    Camp week has been pretty good. I knew I couldn't ride long on Friday so I adjusted everything out a bit to have the long rides on the weekend and I will run long tomorrow (Monday).

There is a nice, extra safe 6o mile loop I have discovered recently (long stretch on an isolated bike path and another couple of long stretches on county roads with bike lanes). so I did my. RR on Saturday a bit long and entirely 121 miles instead of 112. I have had to be more realistic than ambitious about my FTp a this summer, so I have a very conservative NP target. Good news was that I hit it without undue strain and felt fine to get to the run, save for being a bit dehydrated, (lesson learned). Run started wobbly but quickly got better, too that point where I had to remind myself that I shouldn't be running this fast in the IM...so it's all good, I had had a very encouraging RR swim the day before. so things large looking fine as long as I stick to the "should".

this morning (Sunday) I got up extra early to do a sprint triathlon with my daughter. It's a local some part of hue he family has done for years, and they reached out to us...so we did it. She suffered from post-taper doldrums and kind of blew up on the run, but still was the second woman to finish after being first out of water and off the bike. No worries though. I finished 14 overall and first for 50-54 AG. I biked at what turned out to be about 90% of FTP, which seemed ok. I wanted to go hard but not blow up or kill the rest of my camp. Run pace ended up between HMP and MP overall....again, a hard run without trying to turn myself inside out. The nice thing about that was that I ended up getting to run down two guys inn my AG and be strong enough to pace them with good race technique. apparently I was 3rd off the bike. :-) Of course if I were riding harder or running faster, I wouldn't have my dramatic come from behind in the last half mile story to tell. :-)

Got home and took a nap and then went out for another ride in the afternoon. Went for the 60 mile loops again with just a few miles extra....not 120 again. I was ready to be done by the time it was over. Power was down 10 W but I was fine with that considering the previous 30 hours or so.

Long run on Monday to finish up. Hope it goes well!

• Options
    Thanks about the arm band. Patrick approached me and we talked about what to do.

I wanted to make it as positive as we could, not just a memorial. At his funeral, a whole bunch of kids and teachers and coaches told little stories, and the pastor summed it up at one point by saying pointing out "ferociously" he lived. Everyone thought that was perfect. I thought a fitting recognition would be to urge us all to live that way while we can, not to dwell on his death. We changed it to "live fiercely" just to shorten it up a bit but convey that same spirit. I hope it's meaningful to at least some folks out there.
  • Options
    Hey Mark great job on getting it done with being tired. And Sweet on the swim time however it worked out! image

Great to hear you are back alive after that monstrous camp you had Lauren!

Wow William great training! Sounds like your fitness is not bad at all!

I'm with Lauren the armband fundraiser is very cool.

So Friday I felt tired but good. I was able to get the swim knocked out (with a better time than last time)
    Saturday I skipped the run and got right out on the bike. Bike ride went good. Ended with 87 miles for the day. Heit the 25 min Z3 intervals well.
    Sunday I headed out on the bike and man it was a lot warmer. ABP riding is my favorite and I hammered high zone 3 for 3 hour and 45 min. Due to the heat I drank through all my bottles and had to stop to refill them at hour 2.5 which. I ended up extending the ride out to 4 hours and 4 min. with a ending mileage of 87.5 miles. The last hour was all determination and heart my legs were spent.