Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

Camp Week on the course

Carol and I and Kenny Cestari and Pam Allen from central New Jersey are going down to do camp week on the IM Maryland course. We'll be arriving Friday afternoon. Riding 112, running 1 hour on Saturday am. Sunday will be ride of 56-112 and then long run Monday back home. All are welcome, the more the merrier!

Comments

• Options

Oop's, forgot the dates! Arrive Friday 8/15-8/17!

• Options

Hello Turby,

I might be able to swing this. Can you give more details on accommodations, etc? I would be coming out of Cherry Hill, NJ.

Thanks,

Bryan

• Options

Hey Bryan,

We are staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Cambridge where we always stayed for Eagleman. It's a few miles from transition, so it's convenient (free breakfast too). 

Best

Turby

• Options
    Hi Turby, all,

It's looks like I'm in for IMMD and I may be able to drive down on Saturday (8/16) from State College, PA. It's about 4.5 hours so I may only be able to do a single bike and run loop on Saturday (I'm pretty darn slow these days anyway). Then Sunday I may do the full 112. If I do, I'll plan on staying at the Holiday Inn Express and hopefully meet up with you all at some point.

If I don't see you though, safe travels and rides to all!

Paul
  • Options

Sounds great Paul! Look forward to seeing you there!

• Options
    I think my wife, Kathy, and I will be down Saturday. Please let me know what time you are riding. Thanks.
  • Options

I think we will be riding by 9:00, William. If that changes I will let you know. look forward to seeing you!

• Options
    Thanks, we will be ready to ride by 9.
  • Options
    Thanks Turby. I won't be able to get there by 9 but will either try to catch you on the second loop or start riding it backwards and intercept you guys at some point.

I look forward to meeting you all!

Safe travels

Paul
  • Options

Same to you Paul. We'll see you out there!

• Options

My son's Birthday is on Saturday so I'm hoping to make it down late evening for one or two loops on Sunday. More to familiarize myself with the coarse than a hardcore weekend. I'll keep you guys posted if it's going to work out.

Thanks for the invite.

• Options
    Just a quick FYI for you guys on the course - I rode it this past sunday. Couple of thoughts:

1) no need to ride it twice unless you are concerned about just doing the mileage.
    2) It's flat. I mean really, really flat. I rode the loop - not in and out of transition - and the grade % on my 910 and 500 never left 0. Seriously. Having said that...
    3) there are a bunch of sneaky, long false flats - .5% up etc. They are a tad draining as they can last for a number of miles - other than that, pancake flat and smooth.
  • Options
    @Sean - we plan to ride the course on Saturday as part of camp week. The plan calls for a 112 mile ride. I know the course has an out then two loops followed by the back. Is there a place at the end of the first loop to leave a cooler or a car with supplies? I cannot carry 112 miles of nutrition and do not want to have to ride out and back twice. Thanks.
  • Options

There is a high school near the junction where the out/back meets the loop. It is actually going to be bike special needs during the race. We were going to leave ours there.

• Options
    Turby is exactly right. That's where I parked and it was perfect.Start and end the loop right there.
  • Options
    Our 8 year old began throwing up at 4 am. If she is better, we will be there on Saturday. If she is still sick, we will have to skip the trip.
  • Options

would love to join you all but ill just have to do the big weekend here in Beautiful Vegas...gonna start early because its suppose to be around 105 by 10ish  so juiced up my light and getting my nutrition ready..will stage in the SUV for laps and get the run in before i melt

i would like to get some logistical feed back for those who are familiar with the area . I rented a abed and breakfast near the start of the race but not quite sure if its close enough ..i will send the address after the RR today ..let me know if you think its good or maybe ill look for another ...i dont want to rent a car

thanks 

James

• Options
    William: So sorry to hear that. Been there many times. I hope she's feeling better soon.

James: Based on my difficulty as a late entrant finding anything remotely close to Cambridge, I'd recommend staying where you are. The nearest hotel I could find was in Seaford, DE about 30 miles away. All of the B&B's are full with the exception of a place that's $1000 a night. I'm still trying but am not very hopeful. I'm afraid we'll be commuting in but could lend a ride if you need it.

All: It looks like I'll probably get there late morning Saturday after you've all started. I'll try to intercept but if we miss, here's my cell phone so we can connect afterward. 814-883-3689. I will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

Safe travels and hope to see you all there!

Paul
  • Options
    Try looking in Easton. I got a hotel room about a week ago there.
  • Options

Thanks Sean! I'm trying but not seeing anything there. Based on a friend's recommendation though, I switched to Salisbury MD from Seaford, DE. Sounds like a much nicer spot.

Cheers, Paul

• Options
    James,

I feel your pain. I did my rides yesterday and today starting at 4:30am to avoid the heat. I hope all goes well for you.
  • Options
    @All- our daughter is feeling better and barring a relapse we will be traveling down in the mornng. Are we meeting at the school?
  • Options

yesterdays RR went pretty well

112 in 6:01 including a 8 minute emergency Potty break at home (lol) My ending stats said a .69 VI but i think i overcooked a little with a few spikes.... as the last hour was 17mph where the early 28.0 miles(i break itno 1/4's) were all 19+...transitioned to the run and crap it was hot already 96 degrees...started out slow or at least and noticed i was 8:30 so backed off and got in the 10min range give or take..first 4 miles were fine then last 2 were a struggle..combination of the heat and maybe a little overzealous on the bike...my split on the bike was almost 1 hour better than CDA...i think ill shoot for just a little but slower this morning or take a little longer to get into the groove and see what happens today...one real positive is that i fueld well 48oz infinate(400cal) every hour and 2 SALT tabs evey houre and 1 gel evey hour (the salt on the half and the gel on the hour) seemed to work well and only lost less than 3 lbs on the bike

• Options

second bike on Saturday just did 5 hours and slowed down the first hour and felt great the entire rest of the ride...except my a$$..used the same nutrition plan with the exception of only one enduralyte on every half hour as opposed to 2 lost only 1 lb and felt steady the whole way

and this morning did the 135 minute run...bub the first 3 miles were kinda tough to get started but after that it felt great...turned it up after 6 miles and ran the next 6 at 8:20 mile which is a little faster than z2 but it felt great after my heart rate settled in(start of the run it was all over the place)..last 2 or so miles worked in a couple 8 and 7:50 miles ...looking forward to resting the rest of the day and not training tomorrow letting all this training soak in..

• Options

unfortunately i couldn't train on the course so i looked at the means temperature and humidity

82 degrees and 50-60%humidity...any suggestions on fluid intake and or nutrition/salt for this venue.

thanks

James