Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

Thoughts on a Rainy Day?

Looking at the weather forecast for before, during and after IMMT... I've started giving a lot of thought about what to pack in case we have a rainy race day. Any thoughts? Any lessons learned from Lake Placid? We can't control it - be we can prepare...

Rich

Comments

• Options
    Coach R's advice is to bring everything you got, and then decide on race day what to wear based on the weather.  A few things I'm bringing are: light weight rain jacket (most likely use during the course recon ride if raining), EN cycling jersey, cycling vest, arm warmers, light weight full-finger groves, extra socks (i won't wear socks on the ride if it is above 55F), cycle shoe toe covers (can go with no socks if I put these on my shoes), extra socks for RSN bag if feet get wet on the run, another pair of gloves for the run if needed, warm jacket and a couple of long sleeve Ts for before & after the race.
  • Options
    Bruce, thank you for listed out what you will be bringing. This is helpful for those (me) who are struggling with what to bring in the event it rains.
  • Options
    I'm also bringing a biking rain jacket and a cheap $1 plastic poncho, lightweight beanie, and long bike pants (thinking rain and cold).
  • Options
    Vest and disposable tube sock arm warmers.
  • Options
    Bring everything you have!!
    For me the most important things are neopren toe-warmers (already mounted on the shoes!) and a simple plastic bag or a piece of neoprene of the same size which I put under my tri-top in T1 to keep away the wind from the body core. Close all your venting holes on your (aero)-helmet with tape or use a helmet cover!
    I've to add that I'm pretty resistant against cold conditions on my legs and arms so I don't care about a jacket or knee-warmers.
  • Options
    Although it will be at least 30º warmer that it was at IMLT last fall, here are a couple things that helped me through the rain and the cold there:

- Take a roll of garbage bags and duct tape to protect both your bike and your gear bags. Keep everything 100% dry

- Racing bike tires do not like sitting in water. If it is raining when you rack your bike, make certain the tires are not touching the ground.

- I took a small thermos of chicken broth to drink after the swim. It is an old skiing trick... warm the core and the hands and feet stay warm.

- I love the tube socks for the arms... but it it is wet, I wear a jacket with removable arms

- I have neoprene toe caps - also have water proof booties for rainy days.

- Dry socks in T2 bag

- When it is really cold - I put the air-activated hand warmers in my shoes in the morning so that they are warm when I put them on. Also put them in jacket pockets. 

- Sometimes I put hand/sock warmers between the neoprene toe caps and the shoes. Helps keep toes warm and I can putt them out during the ride as needed.

- Tape all helmet vents closed

- Helmet liner/beanie

- Disposable gloves

- Clear lenses for glasses

Wet and cold mean a slower T1 for me. I feel that a minute or two more in T1 and getting dry and warm to start the bike is well worth it, because being cold saps too much energy (mental and physical). If I can get warm and comfortable within 20 minutes or so on the bike, everything works out. if I can't, then I struggle the entire ride.

I don't expect to do all these things; I will pick and choose based on conditions.

• Options
    Lot's of great suggestions and I also agree that you should bring everything you have. From a cycling perspective, being cold on the ride burns up tons more energy because your body is trying to get warm and riding at the same time. Will just deplete your energy....which means it's also critical to eat while you ride when it's cold.....It's worth the time in T1 to make sure you are prepared so you are not dead on the run....
  • Options
    For the record... I hope it's a high of 50 degrees and Monsoon conditions all day. Let the skinny little 130 pounders I'm competing against freeze all day as I smile!!!
  • Options

Shame on you John! 

Thanks everyone for the cold weather clothing advice.  I haven't been paying close attention to the weather and have been living in la la land assuming (hoping) it is partly sunny and in the 70s.  Will now pack extra stuff....