Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Mont Tremblant
Options

Race "Watch" Report

Yesterday, I spent  the day as fan/supporter for my wife (Anna) at Steelhead 70.3. This was the first time that I have ever been to a triathlon of any sort as anything other than a participant, It was a really interesting experience, and I learned some things that I thought I would share with the group as we head into IMMT.

1. T2 (Bike to Run) is DEADLY. I saw a half a dozen crashes in the span of about an hour as I watched people dismount. The dismount area at Steelhead is pretty narrow, and this definitely lead to congestion, but there were an amazing amount of people that came flying up to the line, some who locked their front brake as they tried jumping off the bike, others whose shoes (still in pedals) caught the ground and flipped the bike, bottles that were launched... it would be impossible to document the permutations that are possible.

Bottom line is that we have all worked REALLY hard to get to our race. Don't let some Bozo ruin your race for you because they are trying to channel Mark Allen on the dismount... Stay far to one side or the other so that 50% of the Bozos are eliminated as a risk and be smooth.
  2. When we arrive at IMMT - scout the areas leading into and out of transition as well as the course. In addition to the bike dismount area, the WCT layout of the course will impact us most leading into and out of transition. This and the beginning sections of each of the three courses is going to be the trickiest / highest contact areas to negotiate. After the swim start, we are going to be tired in each of these areas. Look at the layouts and determine how you want to enter / exit each one on race day with an eye towards eliminating risk.
  3. There is really no good reason to be in the very back of your swim wave. It will cost you time. No matter how slow you think you are, many of the Bozos are slower. Someone swimming past you is a drafting opportunity... trying to swim around freaky swimmers will wear you out and slow you down.
  4. Be early. For everything. I was amazed at how many people that I saw running around trying to get to the swim start, or trying to get to transition before it closed, or standing in the back of huge bathroom lines... ALL of them were stressing. Stressing burns energy.

These are all points that I have considered before. They are things that I think I do fairly well. Having said that - I was shocked at some of the crazy things that I saw... and at how easy it is for some Bozo to ruin your day, even if you are doing everything right.

So - I will be even more risk averse this weekend. I will stay off my feet even more. I will choose the most conservative lines into and out of transition, I will scout the course leading into and out of the high traffic areas and I will be doubly vigilant at the aid stations.

I hope this gives you something to think about. I highly encourage watching a race sometime... it is really enlightening!

Comments

• Options
    Thanks Rich! Great Post!

Jess and I volunteered in T2 before (at IMFL) and it was shocking how many people didn't know where their bags were. Cost them time and added stress. I will have flourescent duct tape all over my bags so I can spot them from 50yds away.

• Options
    Thanks Rich, will be extra careful entering T2.

John, I love the fluorescent duck tape on the bags idea!!!
  • Options
    My Florescent Duck tape is already packed - works great for special needs too.....