Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

Ironman Boulder race report

OK swim fine----started off in time groups down a self seeded chute which eases the fight but no real problems.

Bike --in my opinion a fast course although for reasons I set myself an easy day and an average of 18.5 mph---did 6 hrs 2 mins ---I reckon I could knock an easy 30 mins off that and not hurt my run.The course is pretty flat with only just over 4000 ft climbing--no serious hills or technical bits---I used a 53/39 and 27/11 cassette--with the altitude you do run out or gears earlier than you'd expect but no serious issues.Some v long boring straights second half and from 70 miles its generally uphill---but only just.On race day we had a wind behind us and my average for second half was faster that the first.

Run----its kind of downhill first half of each of the two loops but don't let that fool you as there are lots little climbs and of course its 'uphill' second half and those little bumps start to hurt.Only one pro got under 3 hrs so its tougher than you'd expect and that's probably the altitude kicking in.I didn't really notice that on the swim or bike as much.It got hot on race day ie 97 deg f and its dry.But a word of warning for 4 days earlier in the week we had lower temps ,lots rain and thnuderstroms---it can change rapidly up there.Oh and a hornet stung me on the run which hurt like hell and what a thumb I had 2 dasy later.

Finish line was great--my only complaint was that it was a long way back to the athletics track to get your dry clothes bag---oh and the transitions- runs are very long especially the bike---don't take your shoes off when you get off the bike as you have half a mile of hot cncrete to run along !

Final word of warning if driving the bike course on a reckie---what the speed traps----I got done for 55 in a 35 when I was sure it was a 55---didn't see a sign and on race day made a specific point of looking--still couldn't see a sign --expensive and one of the local police's hobbies--mine was on route 6/7 so watch out ! Mind their traffic control race day was superb.

But well done Boulder on your inaugural full IM

Comments

• Options
    Congrats on the race.

I agree with you on the transition distances and post-race logistics. I was so cooked from the race, that the walk back to transition was especially painful. In general, I thought the logistics of this race were unnecessarily complex and spread out. It would be great if T2 and the finish were co-located, instead of about 0.5mi apart.

I heard of a lot of people who burned their bare feet on the track in T2, which could have been avoided by laying down carpet.