Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IM First Timer

So glad to have a group of fellow athletes to connect with. For the seasoned athletes, would you recommend taking a family member with you for the race or can you manage the details yourself?

Comments

• Options

Hi Anita!

Yes, if you can swing it bring a friend or family member, or many! Having a helper and supporter (we call them 'sherpas' if that gives you any idea ) on race weekend is invaluable. Especially for your first IM. Of course you can handle the details yourself, there are many, but its not overwhelming, and there will be other team members and their sherpas there. The real help is having a companion for moral support and to take care of little things in the days leading up to the race, they provide a big relief from worry and stress. Then of course on race day, someone to drop you off, cheer for you, and be there to scoop you up and help you gather your things and take you home after is a HUGE relief and support. Its a long and often emotional day, its great to have someone close to you to be there. 

• Options

+1 - Take any help you can get.  Not only does it help with logistics the days leading up to the race, but knowing you have a friendly face out on the course is huge motivation and provides big boost.  That's also the benefit of racing with a team like EN - Lots of mojo to be shared with each other as you see your teammates out on the course.  Welcome aboard!

• Options
    I did my first IM "by myself". In 20+ since then, I've only done one more alone. There's a lot of down time i. The 2-4 days beofe the race. having company around is a big help. The sherpa stuff is all,right, but just the human company is the big advantage in my mind.
  • Options
    I've done IMAZ the last three years. This will be a celebration of all your hard work. You definitely want any family and friends that can be there to support you on the course before and after. On a side note One Multisport will show u the love around mile 8 and 18 on the run
    1 tip on swim. Pre swim sat for water temp shock. And on race day at the swim turn stay right near the wall. The course comes back to you and less swimmers at the bridge. Utube swim start videos. They give sense of mass start Good luck to ya
  • Options
    Family there is a big help. As Al says, they are there to keep you company.. And to get your mind off the race for a second or two. Not sure about you, but i analyses EVERYTHING... and with family there i was able to escape my own mind and focus on something else besides the race. Also its amazing to see them during the race.

I know family could add stress... but that is what they do.
  • Options
    Yes, Anita you should take family if you can. Family/friends are invaluable at the end of the race when you don't feel like moving any more but need to gather all your "stuff". Not having to worry about how you are going to get your bike and bags back to a car or hotel is a huge relief. I've done one ironman alone and it was challenging. That being said, I did have my ironman PR at that race!
  • Options
    I was worried that my first IM (IMAZ) my wife would be bored and annoyed (non-athlete) also had some other family -young 20somthing's planning on coming up as well. As it turned out I was a basket case with all the pre-race details trying to Sherpa myself and worry about her/them.
    Actually everyone who came and watched enjoyed the whole -long experience (took 14 HR to finish) and even wanted me to "do it again! We WANT TO COME BACK!". The energy from the crowds, the friendly co-cheering "when is your guy coming around...?" made for an entertaining day for all. Oh, and get them cow bells. We always could use more cowbell!
    I still try and do everything myself at race time(the one time I’m a control freak) but I DO suggest preparing your Sherpa for what they can do to off load some of your stress such as driving race morning and just being there for you when your freaking out over not having gotten the no sugar added apple sauce vs the cinnamon flavored stuff.
    Seeing your loved ones happy exited faces at the turn on to McKellips Rd on that 3rd loop can give you a great boost. The course allows for multiple view points for family and is very crowd friendly offering plenty of places to eat and such between sightings.
    Good LUCK! Have fun!
  • Options

Thanks for all the good advise. One of my wonderful friend agreed to go to AZ to help me with the race. She is a trooper. I am mentally relieved to know I have someone there for me. First time out I just don't know how I will feel afterwards. Thanks again for your help.