Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Less than 21 days...

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hi all,
    I got my RR 2 in the books yesterday and I would say it went ok. The temp when I got off the bike was 100 and the heat index was well over that. With that in mind, I was happy that I was upright and moving pretty well once the day was all done. I did have to consume a LOT more fluid than I typically do (I don't sweat, I rain), so that is a lesson I already knew but was driven home again after yesterday. Basically if it is hot like that I will need to drink almost continuously to stay near good. The bike was good until the end when the traffic gods conspired against me and it just took longer than it should have. All in all though I got the 112 done around when I wanted so I was good with that. My goal for the run was to HR around 140 with no spikes above 145 or so. I was less good at this but managed to keep it out of the red (over 150 was where I put it) until the very end. Again given the brutal heat, I thought it went fairly well.

All in all, my first thought is I really hope it is a LOT cooler in two weeks. If the weather gods conspire against us, I know I just need to go slower than otherwise planned and know it will catch up to everyone. A bit more work these next couple of weeks will sharpen things up, but the work is done! Good work all and see you in a couple weeks in Madison!
  • Options
    Sounds like mother nature is not cooperating too much, but folks are getting it in - great work all.

Got busy with the RR yesterday; was looking forward to maintain discipline on the bike. After 60 miles, I was absolutely shelled, so called it, and then ran 4 miles. Was chalking it up to the gale force winds, or perhaps catching a bug from my new boss who just showed up with a cold (I'm like a gold glove shortstop when it comes to catching colds)…got home and found the new aero helmet on the front doorstep; perfect timing:o) Rode up and down the road in the neighborhood and noticed (finally) that the rear wheel was rubbing against the frame. Contributing factors of the bike tech not threading new rear shift cable (crosses into wheel well), and me not doing a spin check after throwing new Conti GT 4000SIIs (bought the pair for about $92 - Performance Bike has 20% off all wheels and tires this weekend - +10% military discount - online too I think). So one way or another, the wheel was going to rub against something…

Got it down to bike shop before close…fixed, plus threw in some tune-up stuff for me as well - off to Seattle to ship the bike today. Regardless of one mechanical after another over the last 3 weeks, I still feel good about the bike, and am looking for the work to finally show up in a ride - race day will work:o) In the end, it'll be what it'll be.

As a famous MC once said, Stop, Taper Time…woohoo!!!

Looking to get a few of my swims over the next week in the lake - just getting some time sighting, wearing race setup etc. Keep up the good work team.
  • Options
    I got RR #2 (or #3) depending on how you look at it yesterday with Chris and some of his friends. We were about 60 miles in to the ride when we had to duck in to a convenience store in Buda, IL for 50 minutes due to the thunderstorm that rolled in. After heading out after the storm we managed to catch-up to it while riding back to our starting point so we held back a little bit. It was a good ride and although we got totally soaked I got some valuable experience riding in the rain.
  • Options
    Finished up my RR2 today. Basically did a 45 mile ABP ride followed by a 6 mile run. Fueling on the bike is good as long as I can keep on schedule with my fluid intake. Run off the bike went well. Looking forward to taper.
  • Options
    Weather an issue here too. Thunderstorms in the morning made me delay the start.

Got in 120 in 5:59:22.51 on exactly my (low) target watts of 160 NP. I'll take that.
  • Options
    BTW, did I miss the link to a spreadsheet to put our names down as going to be there?
  • Options
    @William-The link is on the 2014 Super Duper Admin thread page! Great job on that RR!

All-it sounds like everyone had great RR#2s! The weather this past week certainly has made fitting in these last big workouts challenging. But way to go getting them done!
  • Options
    Thanks...not sure why I didn't see it.
  • Options
    Hey everyone, I had a question for you all. My Sherpa has work commitments and won't be able to join me until Saturday. I know last year I thought it was a good idea to recon a portion of the bike course on the bike, but that worked great as she drove ahead and met me. I think I still want to ride some of the course but since I will be Han Solo for that part of the week (I was planning on doing this Thurs afternoon as a guess) and I don't want to ride the whole section out and then back, I was looking to see if any of you that are likely smarter at this than me had any ideas or thoughts. I have started to try to put together my week so that I have something to focus on and this is something that has come up. I would love to hear any feedback you all have.
  • Options

Scott, I will be solo as well Thur-Sat morn.  Maybe we could team up and ride while the other drives, then vice versa.

• Options
    Sounds good Mark. My cell is 314.497.3928. I was planning on checking in and some of that Thurs morn and either late Thurs morn or after lunch hit the course recon. Either way, give me a call at some point and we can coordinate. I love this team!
  • Options
    Scott/Mark-I'll be solo as well until Saturday morning, so let's coordinate some team activities to keep us distracted! Swim Friday with 4 Keys....maybe lunch too? I'm really looking forward to race week! image
  • Options
    I will be in Madison Thu late morning / early afternoon and also solo until Friday Night so I am in on activities...
  • Options
    Awesome, there will be a group of us. Last year the swim followed by the 4 keys talk followed by lunch worked really well. I followed that with a movie, and may try that again this year. We just need to coordinate Thursday a bit as a guess and organize Friday at the dinner (at least that is what worked last year). And Lauren I am getting more excited than I should for as far out as it is right now.
  • Options
    If you guys are doing some stuff, please put it on GroupMe. I am in Madison starting Tuesday but working probably through Thursday but schedule is still up in the air a bit. I might be able to join in...
  • Options
    Steven-We definitely will put it on Groupme. I'm just a planner so like to get these ideas out in advance image Those of you going to the dinner, I'll reiterate the plan for Friday there. Everyone else, watch the forum/group me messages!
  • Options
    Wow I step away from the forums for a couple days and everyone blew it up! Awesome team spirit happening!

I'm in Madison Thursday afternoon and have 3 spaces open on my bike rack. I would love to course recon as a team like Lauren is planning. The group me has worked awesome in the past for getting together.

Great job everyone on those RR everyone!
  • Options
    Has the GroupMe started up yet? Thought I had signed up but haven't seen anything yet...
  • Options
    No Mark, it'll start race week. I believe Wednesday.