Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Chattanooga
Options

IMCHOO Training Wk 9/8 - 9/14

Ok I have a little bit of homework- If you are on Facebook (friend me), Instagram or Twitter PLEASE either post it here or send me a message and two: help spread the word on the #EN4Keys talk at CHOO- lets pack it out and meet more people who will be on the course! The link to the talk is here: https://thefourkeyschoo.splashthat.com/ Post it to your FB wall- tweet it out- Invite your friends

THANK YOU!

.... other than that.... 20 days left.... ya'll are crushing these workouts so proud of you all and can't wait! 

Comments

• Options
    Mariah, I hear ya, but at same time don't we kind of want to keep the concepts of the 4 keys a little secret for team member's advantage over the rest of the athletes? A packed house will be great though!
  • Options

@David absolutely- the coaches insider details you're getting where coach tells you not to share and the one-on-ones they give are just for the team- but EN4Keys basics is where we share the love and hope to welcome more teammates to join in the crazy awesome fun! All the specific support you get on the team and the amazing energy and knowledge of everyone on the team, the outside world doesn't get to experience! All the EN athletes are seen as execution ninjas on the course and we know you don't get that unless you're on the team and official! Can't wait to cheer you on, so pumped! 

• Options
    OK, I'm gonna follow Joel's lead..... Got up to swim for my active recovery Monday. After coffee , decided nah , lets do a complete Zero day today !
  • Options
    I may very well skip today's run. I feel okay but it's nasty outside so I'd be on the treadmill and I know another day off for the legs is better than trying to force the point. It's very helpful to me to have the experiance coming off camp weekend where I took Monday off, only swam Tue, and then was able to knock out 2X20' + 5X2' on Wed and a really good long run on Thurs without any trouble. A couple days down allowed me to come back and hit high quality sessions.
  • Options
    Seems like we're all in the same boat. I have been slowly getting my legs back after IMMT, and I felt pretty OK last weekend (70 mile ride with a 3 mile brick run followed by a 30k trail run the next day), and my 13-mile run last week was fairly good, although I could tell I was sluggish still.
    Then this past Friday I mounted up for a 70 mile ride and 4 mile brick run. Ride went "meh" and brick run was unbearably hot and humid. The whole rest of the day I felt awful. Got up Saturday to do the same workout and.....couldn't. Made it through 30 miles on the bike and pulled the plug. Awful head-cold was setting in. Spent the rest of the day trying to recover (while chasing three toddlers around....RIGHT!). Finally got an 8 mile run and 2500m swim in yesterday, but neither was pretty. Taking today off totally. This cold needs to GOOOOO!
    It's weird, gearing up again for another race already. At this point, I truly think that getting myself 100% healthy and recovered is more important than any one workout. Besides, I consider IMMT my RR for IMChoo. ;-)
  • Options
    @Mariah - Just sent you a friend request on FB and asked to follow you on Instagram. Not sure if it was you on Instagram. If not, you can find me at Fergahans. Also Twitter handle is Ironmam7.

@Jodi ...Dude you are awesome! BOOM!

@Tim - man, I'd need a few days if I kept your training schedule! Enjoy!

@Joel - those legs will thank you. 

@Kori - Get healthy girl. Your legs will come back.

Looks like I'm going to let the 5hr ride I've been chasing go. Felt like dog doo Saturday morning after Friday's long run. Hip/glute/lower back hurting like crazy and soooo cranky. I swam for 90 minutes. Then was even crankier...ALL DAY! My poor family. Decided it was time for a reset, so Sunday I went to church with my family and put 3hrs in on the trainer in zone 2/3. I felt MUCH better after that and thankfully I have been able to roll out all the aches from the run. Was thinking I would try to get in the 5hr bike today but alas, it's just not going to happen. Roofers showed up at my door to give me a new roof. They were supposed to start work tomorrow. So guess I will just take today to organize my race rehearsal and maybe jump on the trainer again for a few hours to escape all the roof noise!

No change in status from the cortisone injection. Still have tingly fingers but I'm not surprised. It may not work but it is what it is.

Let's hear what y'all are planning for your race rehearsals this weekend!!!!

• Options
    @Mariah/Rich - Would you like me to post an invitation with the 4Keys Talk link in the "Forbidden Facebook Page"???
  • Options
    Amy- yes post away! Thank you
  • Options

After Saturday's AWESOME ride, I rode 3 hours on Sunday. It was ok but lost ground with recovery. Every hour I got more tired. Today I skipped my swim...unless you count working in the rain.

@Amy, glad you are coming back, and to all, don't let the tiredness get to you. It's a sign you are getting close!

I'd like to invite some friends to 4 keys. Just how do I do that? Do they have to go online and get a ticket or just show up?

• Options
    Long cycling ride today, a few minutes under six hours and 115 miles. Was essentially an unofficial race rehearsal ride as I focused on nutrition, hydration, staying aero, and pacing.
  • Options
    @Jodi - Send them that link i posted up there and tell them to get a ticket before hand- its free so even if they don't go its no biggie- or you can take that link and post it to your wall/ share it like Amy did

Thanks y'all image
  • Options
    Managed a pretty good run today despite the humidity still being very high. At least it is overcast so not extremely hot.
  • Options
    Uh oh, slept in this morning and with thunderstorms in the forecast it looks like i'll either be doing my long run outside dodging lightning bolts or hitting the dreadmill! And this is why i usually get it done in the morning at 5am.
  • Options
    Decent run here. Crazy humidity in Coastal Mississippi this morning. Glad runs are getting shorter.
  • Options
    Great run today! Executed it perfectly. Pushed the final 3 miles so hard that I wanted to stop at 1:40 but made myself dig in and finish it. Got in 492ft of elevation gain. Still very humid and my shoes were sloshy after! Nutrition/salt seem to be dialed in.

I will be driving up to Nooga on Saturday to do the RR bike/run on the course. Since I want to run the North side of the course I will have to do the entire 116 mile bike. This will put me over 6hrs but I don't see an alternative that makes sense. Anyone see any major reason why I shouldn't do this?
  • Options
    Posted By Amy Ferguson on 11 Sep 2014 03:16 PM

Great run today! Executed it perfectly. Pushed the final 3 miles so hard that I wanted to stop at 1:40 but made myself dig in and finish it. Got in 492ft of elevation gain. Still very humid and my shoes were sloshy after! Nutrition/salt seem to be dialed in.

I will be driving up to Nooga on Saturday to do the RR bike/run on the course. Since I want to run the North side of the course I will have to do the entire 116 mile bike. This will put me over 6hrs but I don't see an alternative that makes sense. Anyone see any major reason why I shouldn't do this?
    Personally, I'd ride from outside of town and then drive in for the run after.  It's only 15-20min between ride and run so it's not as though you'll somwhow be fresh and recovered.  The first/last 6-8 miles of the bike course are wasted for training purposes anyway.
  • Options
    @Amy, I am with Joel. You will only have two weeks to recover and so I wouldn't add to an already long day. Just park somewhere and then after your bike, drive over the bridge and run. I am avoiding traffic tomorrow morning for my early RR by driving to a safer biking location, then driving home to run. It's gonna be hard to get out of the car and run, but it is what it is.
  • Options
    @Amy... I don't know the course yet but X2 on what Joel said.... Drive to where you wanna run after you bike... I'd also add stick to the plan 112 or 6hrs which ever comes first... Nothing good can come of Too Much 2 weeks .... I will be already tapering my longride this Saturday bringing it down to 4hrs....

Looks like everyone is nailing those long runs.... Good mix of weather across the country... Damn cold here in NH.

Big lazy rest day on Monday.... Tuesday - felt better did 1.4 mile OWS with 2 x .55mile intervals hard , Bike 2 x 23' @ .94, Run - easy brick.... Weds 2.2 mile OWS half hard, half easy , 8 mile run on track with 4 mile tempo .... Today easy 5 mile run , was planning a 2hr unstructured easy bike and ended up on the trainer , picked a ride on TR that was a bit harder than I wanted (even after modifying it) and wasnt feeling it , kept thinking about how what I do today will affect my Saturday ride and just kept dropping the intensity until it felt easy enough!
  • Options
    @Joel, Jodi & Tim - Thanks guys. This helps. I will ride then drive to run course! Looks like I'm going to get rained on. Should be interesting....
  • Options
    I'm feeling pretty strong heading into this last RR Saturday. I was able to get in my long run last night rain free and nailed it 12.3 miles in 1:45....but got rained out for this mornings 50 minute run. Good luck for those of you doing rehearsals tomorrow, almost there team!
  • Options
    @ Amy -- good run! And good luck with RR. Wish I could ride on course this weekend

@Steven -- peaking at the right time. Good work on Run

I had a great bike workout Wed and a good run Thursday morning -- Ran 5.5 with some strides this morning, super humid outside. Then tried to get my swim in but had to shut it down at 2200 yds due to cramping in my calfs. I couldn't even swim with a pull buy without cramping. Probably had something to do with the 1.8 lbs I lost in 45 minutes this morning! Decided to cut the swim short and get hydrated for tomorrow.
  • Options
    This is probably too late for you folks doing RR tomorrow. Just a word of caution as it is blazing hot. See my RR report under IM Choo Race Rehearsal forum. By the time I got to the run it was 2 pm, 93 degrees with a heat index of 97. Thanks to WSM Al, I took extra fluids on the run and drank 12 more than planned! When I finished I told my Sherpa that the run felt dangerous. Please back down from it if you have to.
  • Options
    Last RR is all done. I postponed my day to Sunday since I didn't feel like riding in rain all day and a 6 hr. drainer ride was just not that appealing. I did all the chore type stuff I've been putting off on Saturday.

Sunday's bike was almost chilly in the morning so I didn't consume all of my nutrition and hit a low spot hr. 3-4 but bounced back hours 4-6. In the end it was 117.5 miles in 6:14 at .71 IF.

Brick run went well for 6.2 miles and I was trying to slow down most of the time. I will not have this issue race-day so no worries there. All-in-all a good last RR before race day.

I hope you all had a great RR weekend and enjoyed the rest day.

Let the taper begin.
  • Options
    I completed a really good cycling RR today, though I turned around a little early from my out and back route as I was worried about the late in the ride heat index potential to have me suffering too much. Rode 89 miles at IF=71%, nutrition/hydration was spot on. I arrived at mile 73, stopped for water refill , checked air temp which was 75 and then check air temp at my house which was 15 miles more, with about 2,000 ft of ascent to go. My home town showed 103 degrees. Great, I thought ... Going from 75 to 103 degrees in 15 miles! Fortunately at mile 73 my energy level was very high, so while yes it got quite hot, I was able to ascend home pushing strong and not wiped out. Entered my house actually feeling very good with a lot of energy left in the tank.
  • Options
    As a follow up --- (too hot to run) got home from the ride and started cleaning up the bike, changing tires, etc preparing for TriBike Transport on Wednesday. Stupid is what stupid does; and I drop valve extender into the wheel well. Holy crap and I am thinking as the extender noisily rattles as the wheel goes around and around. How in the hell does one get a 2-3 inch extender to pop back out of the valve hole of the wheel. I'm freaking out; start to imagine the wheel is useless now and scrambling to imagine who I can borrow an aero rear wheel from. Then I search YouTube, and low and behold someone has figured out a creative way to retrieve it back out of the tiny hole. It worked! Took about 10min -- it takes scissors, a thick paged magazine cover, and a paper clip. Thank you ironman gods!
  • Options
    @AMY congrats on your RR and getting it done on the course is a huge benefit!

@Attila getting it done with an overdistance aweseome...

@ David sounding strong as usual. What did you have a temperature inversion? Is that normal? 2000' higher and 25 degrees warmer? Glad you got that extender out of your wheel.... Good story...

The cold here in NH is trying to suck my energy/mojo out of me.... Got it done this week 16hrs , 11k yds swim , 161 miles bike , 35 miles run.....Fridays normal longswim only prep for the weekend got shortened by 2/3 due to cold and choppy water.... Sat was 5miles run / 4hrs on trainer run/bike and sunday was 13.1 mile run in 1:40 with a short cold swim to start the day....
  • Options
    Good work all!

@ Amy -- awesome to get RR done on course --

@Attila -- nice ride -- My RR ended up being 115 or so.

@Tim -- I think I'd rather take the Mississippi heat than the cold -- 4 hours on a trainer sounds rough. Congrats!
    Will post my Race rehearsal wrapup in Race execution forum --

Time to start working on Race Plan!