Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Josiah Garrison's Micro Thread

2»

Comments

• Options

Congratulations. That was a 10' PR from the 2013! Minutes are hard to find in the HIM. You found 10x of them. Nice work! The heart rate and cadence data look great from the bike and run. What did you think?

Well done.

• Options

You totally made a shout out in Coach Patrick's weekly update video. Its on the dashboard, Check it out!

• Options

Hi Matt- Yes, 10:30 faster than in 2015. I'll take it!

Two coach questions: how quickly can I start training for 10/8 Gran Fondo - 110 miles 11k climbing. It's a short turnaround but I want to be ready.

Second, question: my single event run times have improved significantly - Ie from 7:45 1/2 MP to now 6:50 MP but my HIM run times are still exactly the same: 8:00 average. What more can I do there?

Thanks. Workworks

• Options

You have some great fitness. The Sprint race a few weeks ago and this past weekend's HIM. You can be ready to focus on the Gran Fondo by this weekend and slowly ramp up the effort next week. Active recovery is your friend and the best thing you can do over the next few days - primarily swim and bike. Good nutrition will help with the recovery and turnaround. Compression and yoga if you can/available. Save the "efforts" for later or this this weekend and be mindful of pushing too soon. You have a good gauge of your body and will know when you are ready to ramp it up again - after this weekend. You will rebound more quickly with the active recovery this week - than jumping right back into it. After this week you have 3 good weeks - with the opportunity to do some back to back longer rides before Levi's Grand epic long climbing route. How does that sound?

• Options

@Josiah Garrison How did Santa Cruz go? Are you all set to transition to your bike focused plan for Levi's Gran Fondo?

• Options

@Josiah Garrison Nice 100 miler and consistent bike work. How do you feel your prep for Levi's Gran Fondo is going?

• Options

Hi Matt-

Thanks! I'm feeling strong for Levi's. Opted to work in some hot yoga instead of riding yesterday. Probably need to switch to compact crank for more gearing. Otherwise, fully recovered. I need to find time to do my Santa Cruz race report as well.

Cheers

• Options

@Josiah Garrison

Welcome to your SECOND MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

To help you continue your progress, we have a few short questions for you. You can copy the questions and put your answers in your reply to this thread (no need to copy the questions, just keep the numbers the same!). 

** Rankings **

Please rate the following items on a Scale of 1 to 3 (1 = Unsatisfactory,  2 = Satisfactory, 3 = Great!):

• Swim Fitness: 
    • Bike Fitness:
    • Run Fitness:
    • Weight / Body Composition:

** Subjective Information **

• What is Your Biggest Improvement So Far?
    • In What Area Do You Need Additional Support? 
    • Would You Recommend Endurance Nation to a Friend?

** Additional Learning **

Now that we are beyond the initial learning curve of Endurance Nation, it's time to give deeper into some additional resources that can really help you out. 

You have several options: 

** Need Coach Input? **

Don’t forget you can schedule a check in call with Coach Patrick online here: https://calendly.com/pmccrann/15min

We are looking forward to your answers!

• Options

@Josiah Garrison Looks like you got the hang of this. I wish you the best at Levi's Gran Fondo.

Brenda will most likely move your thread to the Coaching Forum for more dialogue with Coach Patrick. Nothing will change from your view. Your links and shortcuts will be the same. I am always available - tag me @matt limbert and I'm happy to help too anytime.

• Options

@Josiah Garrison How did Levi's Gran Fondo go?

• Options

it was epic. 118 miles 10k feet 7:33 hrs, including stops. Redemption from last year where I didn't train, race plan or focus on nutrition. That day, one year ago took 9:45. I'm satisfied I did almost everything right this time.

• Options

Josiah, What a massive day and massive time difference! Congratulations. Those kinds of days are filled with thousands of seemingly minor decisions that add up and compound over they day. Nice work.

• Options

@Josiah Garrison just catching up here, what an incredible change for you! Kudos on doing all the hard work that made that possible. If you have a chance, we would love to see a little race report from you for the few pictures. Here’s a very simple form you can even do from your phone: https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/q7a69dd1purtki/

looking forward to seeing what we can build this winter.

• Options

@Josiah Garrison

Welcome to your THIRD MONTH  inside Endurance Nation! 

Our goal this month is to help you be race ready for your next big event and make sure your connected with your teammates!

First things first, watch the overview video for Month Three PlanEN Members online here. 

Step One: Master the Four Keys

Head over to watch our main Four Keys video on the Race Central page.  While the Four Keys was originally created for triathlon, the lessons extend to all endurance sports (and beyond)!

Step Two: Research Your Race

While you don’t have access to the EN Forum, you can use our public resources to make sure you have as much information as you need. 

• First, you can go the EN Blog and search for race reports from your event. 
    • Second, you can go to the Free Content portal on our public website to see some more race specific items (email login required). 
    • Of course, you should do a Google Search as well to cover all your bases.

Step Three: Connect with Your Teammates

Without the Forums or Chat Group access, you can still connect with the Team Via our EN Live group on Facebook To see if anyone will be at your next race. The more, the merrier!

** Additional Support **

Right now it’s time for your three month call with Coach Patrick; and you can book it here.

Ready to learn more? You can switch and upgrade anytime to TeamEN and get full access to everything your Teammates experience, our detailed best practices for race execution and extensive video resource library. Upgrade yourself here.

Congratulations on moving forward with you training as you build to your race goals. We can’t wait to see what you are capable of this season!

~ Brenda

• Options

Here's your updated Season Plan, as promised. This is where you'll return to post all your "coach" questions as responses; I'll see them and reply. This first post is my best outline of how to proceed with your races, but you can ask any / all questions you want. So post away, know that I reply here usually Monday & Friday each week.

Power User Tip: Click the Star icon by the Title of this thread to subscribe, and you'll get email updates when I do reply.

Coach Notes

Your Races

• Ironman 70.3 Victoria (2020-05-31) #70.3Victoria_20   
    • Ironman 70.3 Santa Cruz (2020-09-13) #70.3SantaCruz_20
    • California International Marathon 12/6/20

Season Update

These are your recommended training plans, including the date you should start each one (sometimes you won’t complete a full plan but transition to another one). You can change your plans on within Final Surge by clicking on the Training Plans > View My Plans. If you need help manipulating your plans in Final Surge, be sure to check out our Help Site. Remember, you can learn more about each plan and find related plan resources on the Plan Descriptions and Resources page.

•  Last updated by Coach on December 23, 2019
    • On 1/6/2020 Load the OutSeason (Bike Focus) Plan, 14wks to end on 04/12/2020
    • On 3/16/2020 Load the EN*Half Bike Focused to end on 05/31/2020
    • On 6/1/2020 Load the Post Half Iron Transition Plan, All Levels (2wks) to end on 06/14/2020
    • On 6/15/2020 Load the EN Half Run Focused to end on 9/13/2020
    • On 9/14/2020 Load the Century Plan (12 Weeks) to end on 10/03/2020
    • On 10/4/2020 Load the 2019 Marathon, 16 Weeks to end on 12/06/2020
    • On 12/7/2020 Load the Post Ironman Transition Plan, All Levels (4wks) to end on 01/03/2021

Your Notes

IM 70.3 Oceanside 5:15

IM 70.3 Santa Cruz 5:04

Levi's Gran Fondo Panzer Route 110 miles 10k feet.

Fitness is good, training 6 days with some weights and yoga mixed in to OS/ 5k prep. 2x swim/ week 3x ride 2x runs

Lifetime 5k 1/1/20

Placer Roubaix 2/1/20 65 Mile Gravel

Shamrock Half 3/15/20

Folsom Lake Oly. 5/9/20

IM 70.3 Victoria 5/31/20 A

Granite Bay Sprint. 8/22/20

IM 70.3 Santa Cruz 9/13/20 A

Levi's Gran Fondo 10/3/20 110 miles 10k feet

CIM 12/8/20 12/8.20 First Marathon outside of full IM's.

Let's get to work!

~ Coach P

• Options

Coach P- Thanks for the video. I agree, it's a loaded season but the two 70.3's & Marathon are the key races. The rest just gives me some good racing days to prep for the "A' races. I will load up OS 1/6 and text you videos of my TT bike set up as we discussed.

Cheers

• Options

Sounds good and looking forward to seeing what you can achieve with the Out season starting today!