Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

IMAZ Bike Training DVD

For folks who do some of their training rides on the trainer, there is a DVD that takes you through one loop of the IMAZ course.  It's called Spinervals 6.0 Tempe Training Ride with Troy Jacobson.  

I did the workout this morning.  The video follows Troy as he rides one lap.  It has voiceover coaching where he offers lot of helpful tips about the course.  At about 1:51, it was a little long for the trainer for me.  I usually like about an hour, usually with a Sufferfest workout and TrainerRoad.

However, it is a very good preview of the course.  I now understand the comments from Coach P posted in another thread that it was basically a waste of time to do a training camp for this course  I think he said you could prepare on the trainer.  It is flat and somewhat boring.  I am guessing I'll use 3 or 4 gears during the race, short of hurricane force winds.  

Luckily, I live right next to the LA river trails, so I can get 100+ miles of flat and boring without having to deal with cars.  Indeed, I am not sure the river trails are as flat as IMAZ.

Here is the link to the video on Amazon.  I think it is worth picking up for a couple of trainer sessions to preview the ride.

http://www.amazon.com/Spinervals-Virtual-Reality-Tempe-Training/dp/B0049UJ5NU/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=undefined&sr=8-3&keywords=spinervals+6.0

Happy training!

Comments

• Options

IMAZ, while not remotely close to anything considered hilly, is not as flat as everyone thinks it is. The climb up to the turnaround on the Beeline is noticeable. It goes up 300 feet in 4-5 miles. Not difficult but more "difficult" than I thought it would be, if that makes sense. It's not pancake flat like IMCOZ, IMMD (and Eagleman), or Galveston which are flat as a board.

• Options
    Thanks, Bob -- that's good to know. I could't tell from the DVD. That should help break up the monotony.
  • Options
    Just to be sure that I didn't oversell it... it's not much of an incline or challenge but it's still not flat. You will go noticeably slower at the same power. I just looked at my Garmin Connect file and my speed was 4-6 mph slower on that 4-5 mile stretch than on the flats.
  • Options

Bob's comments made go back to check my 2011 ride files. Overall, I was holding a steady 118 HR up down or flat. Power was steady @ 0.65 up down or flat, across all three loops. Avg speed was 20.1, down the "hill" 3.8 miles was 23.5, uphill was 17.5, 19.7 over the "flats". The slowest speed I can find in that uphill segment is 13 mph; the highest is 21. VI was about 1.02. 2013 was a similar story. 

• Options
    This is a question about bike transport companies. I need to ship my bike from Salem Oregon to Tempe AZ. What companies are recommended? Thanks in advance for your help. Will there be a final itinerary sent to the athletes regarding meetings, training and dinners while in Tempe?
  • Options
    @ Anita, I am using TriBike Transport from WI to AZ. We have a $25 discount on the discounts page. Brenda usually send a race week itinerary to everyone. Make sure you sign up on the google doc under IMAZ to make sure you are receiving all e-mails.
  • Options
    Anita-get on the AZIM welcome thread and the weekly 'share the misery, share the glory' threads. Also, as Mary mentioned, put your name on the google AZIM document. Dinner and 4 keys info already there. We all will be on a group cellphone connection that week too to communicate and gather.