Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Week 6 of 12 IMAZ Holding the Line

Happy groggy Monday all!

No need to look any further that the IMCHOO race results to fill up the mojo meter this morning.  That team really hammered it with great performances all around and a 1st place Trophy!

My Dead legs ride yesterday: http://www.strava.com/activities/200666343

IMAZ Team Event Sheet link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...eb#gid=136

Bio Submission Form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1js...s/viewform

EN Strava Team link: http://www.strava.com/clubs/enduran...thlon-team

EN IMAZ Strava Team link: http://www.strava.com/clubs/2014IMAZ

5 more weeks of fitness driving work to go!

SS

Comments

• Options

Watching the IMCHOO live data was definitely motivating for this IM rookie. 5 weeks of work to go - lets do this!!

• Options
    The Saturday long ride went well for me, Week 13 Long Ride, although my current route is quite boring. Actually I think the boring route helps with mental toughness, I find myself focusing equally on the interval and staying aero, at the exclusion of nearly everything else. Since I’m riding on a bike path with limited access I don’t have to worry about cars or busses, only other bikers and the dreaded inline skater or two.

I skipped the 1x1 run since I planned to run on Sunday

Sunday I ran a local 10K along with ~16,000 of my closest friends, 2014 Pittsburgh Great Race. I felt strong and finished within about a minute of what I wanted. After that was Happy Wife Happy Life SAU Ride with my wife. Needless to say I slept like a brick last night.

Last week may have been my single biggest training week ever - 17:16, and if it’s not, it’s surely close! I’m tired but so is everyone else. Now is the time to sharpen my focus on proper diet and sleep.

Tonight I swim and the remainder of the week is normal schedule until the HIM this weekend.
  • Options
    Shaughn-thanks for posting those links. I'm not very computer savy.
    I still don't know how to post a pic to the EN site, or connect my garmin 910 to Strava

50' swim this am-about half MS-did some fast(for me) sprinting though.

I slept 10h sat night after my big day-my challenge is to try and get 7h regularly.
    With lots of training in the next five weeks, focus on nutrition and recovery a high priority!
  • Options

Good morning peeps!

Hope all are well, getting a little recovery and onto Week 6 in a good place.  Monday was rough for me due to some fatigue, Tues feeling a little better.

Mon lunch swim: http://www.strava.com/activities/201197383

.....got a little better as I progressed but started pretty slow.

Mon evening hill strides @ 90 degrees: http://www.strava.com/activities/201413853  .....those sucked.....

Tues early morning 2X1s: http://www.strava.com/activities/201413856  .....half asleep when I roll out the door for the first mile or so, but so glad/proud of myself once that second Z4 is done......

Hope to find a way to swim this evening.....

Good luck today all!

SS

• Options
    All I've done this week so far is swim.

Got to the pool early enough for 70'-got all of MS1&2 except the 500x1in MS1. That's 2900 in 70'??-slow. I am pushing the tempo trainer per my local coach's insistence but not sure if increased stroke count is decreasing efficiency/form.

Planning on getting the 2x1@z4 in tonite-temps are definitely cooler here now. (And some weights)

Good luck everyone!
  • Options
    Got 1/2 my swim done this morning. Couldn't get the kids out of the house soon enough to get more done. Also got my run done at lunch. Felt good for the most part. Legs are still tired though.

I'm swapping week 14 and 15 so that I can get my RR #1 in this Friday because next Friday I'm not going to have time. Still have to find time to get my RR plan together.
  • Options

Finally back up and running after suffering a cold over the weekend, which took me down Sat, Sun, Mon. Pretty bummed I couldn't do the big ride. My experience is that its always better to completely stand down rather than try to push through it. Yesterday it was time to clear the pipes and see if I could manage a full set of workouts. Did my 2x1 mi on pace (but a little wheezy) and then my swim went very well (luckily it was a technique day, so not so intense.)

• Options

I'm trying a high wire act to get thru the next two weeks balancing (a) losing too much fitness thru taper and recovery with (b) competing in Kona Oct 11. Starting now, I'm going to day-by-day it overt the next four days, then do no more than 5 hours of s/b/r on Mon-Fri next week, with 13 hours (or less, hopefully) on Saturday. Then, Sun-Thurs as total recovery, and back at it the following weekend.

This is what the start of my Kona "taper" has looked like over the past six days:

Thurs - 2 x 1 mile, 10K total morning of my travel day; Fri - Swim 3350 m/1:10 & Trainer FTP intervals/55'; Sat - 35' weight session, then 16 mi run/2:13; Sun - Swim 4000 yd/1:18, Trainer FTP + (1.05 IF) intervals 1:07; Mon - weight session 35 min, run home from gym 4 mi; Tues - Run 2 x 1 mi, 7 mi/59', Trainer VO2 Intervals 10' work time; Wed (today) 3750 meters/1:20 swim, weight session, maybe some trainer intervals in PM.So close to 13 hours, but run (33 mi) and swim (11,000 meters) heavy with only hard interval cycling. 

The next few days (Thurs-Sun) will feature 2 more swims of 2500 and 3800 meters, a 1.5 hour bike and a 4 hour bike, with some shorter runs for acclimation. Then hit the taper hard until race day, and recover like a sloth for another five days. So an 11 day hole in my training, punctuated by a 140.6 Big Day. I hope it works.

• Options

@Al - thanks for sharing that plan in this situation - looks very smart to me.  Inserting weights at your age, dropping some volume and replacing with intensity as you near race date, etc....  Based on your experience, at what age should one consider inserting weights, I am approaching 47 and am curious......?

Fighting some fatigue, as I imagine many of us are. 

Following this plan is like fighting a Gorilla, in other words, by the end of week 6, you have 4 important weeks to Get It Done.  You don't stop fighting when you get tired, you stop fighting when Gorilla gets tired..............

Yesterday's swim slog: http://www.strava.com/activities/201576250

Morning pre-ride run at Z2/Z3: http://www.strava.com/activities/201866367

Lunch 2X20 pain session: http://www.strava.com/activities/202045311    at .98 and .99

The Gorilla really took a toll on me during the FTP work - should really be interesting for tomorrow morning's long run....

Moving forward............

• Options

Posted By Shaughn Simmons on 01 Oct 2014 04:25 PM

@Al ....  Inserting weights at your age, dropping some volume and replacing with intensity as you near race date, etc....  Based on your experience, at what age should one consider inserting weights, I am approaching 47 and am curious......?

It's all downhill as far as the hormones Testosterone and HGH are concerned, after about age 27-32. Without weight training, men start to lose muscle mass in their '30s. The good news is: it's never too late to start, because you still have the neuromuscular connections just waiting to be fired up and re-build all those muscle bundles you put on in your late teens and early '20s. But you won;t build any new ones, just keep the ones you;ve got humming along. Don;t need either a lot of weight or a lot of time; 2-3 x per week 30-40 minutes, a good program of 5-10 all-inclusive exercises, unless you;re in the power lifting game.

• Options
    Thanks for sharing your plan Al. I'm now 58 and added a weight program starting with JOS 2014. I wish I had done it sooner and I think it's never too early. I wouldn't do crossfit-one size fits all and designed to burn you out until next crossfit session. I am actually working with a trainer who writes my program specifically for core strength and only goal to be a faster triathelete-I laugh as I'm pushing my 20# dumbells next to these amazon women with 70# DBs and barbells loaded up??.

My day yesterday was like Shaughns-I actually had time midday (lunch for business folk) to run to the gym and get treadmill run in2x1mi @z4 and finish with some z2. And 30' weight wko after work. (Of course swim in am)

And I'm finally going to admit that the gorilla is taking its toll on me too-my legs have just not recovered from the long weekend riding. My quads hurt this am and it was a slog to get trough my 2x18'-.85IF then barely .95. By the end the pain was easing and I was hanging on to higher watts -I was sorry I didn't have time for the 3x5' @110% but had to get to work.

I plan to do my long runs Thursday evenings (I just can't get up early enough for 2+hrs running before work) and am soooooo looking forward to sleeping in tomorrow (chronic 5-6h/night sleep is probably hampering recovery i'm sure)
  • Options
    haven't been training well every day, but doing every week. Had an MTB race 2 weeks ago, that wrecked up the following week, then had an epic performance (for me 7/125) in a local OLY a week ago Sunday. got back on it by Weds, banging out a nice 17 mile run last Thursday and started the weekend of right by doing a 6 hr ride with my KQ friend, which unfortunately ended with him careening into the side of a van at 20+MPH. after the ambulance took him off, i managed to eek out the last 1:15 of what turned out to be a century ride, before going to the ER/ICU to check on him. Good news is he is now home, though out of Kona.

Saturday's events dampered me and I am finding a lack of 5am motivation, but i did get most workouts in this week. Going to hack the week, did a 12 miler on Tuesday and intend to be fully back on plan this weekend.
    Biggest issue is that i am not as focused on weight loss as i want to be and need to get that happening! the calendar is ticking!!
  • Options

@ David W. - how did the surgery go?  Hope you are healing well.

@Rian - good job focusing on recovery/wellness.  I need to do that better in the future.  Hope all systems are coming back online well.

@Al - I need to incorporate a light weight routine periodically but my biggest obstacle currently is time given my professional work load.

@Betsy - So impressed with how you carry your load and keep moving forward each day! Very motivating!

@Clark - incredibly consistent lately hammering through great long runs with negative splits even with the cumulative load!

Long Run Fatigued @78 degrees / 82% humidity this morning: http://www.strava.com/activities/202317587

Monday had an ear infection, felt weird Tues, felt fatigued and old for the 2X20s yesterday and pretty miserable this morning.  Fighting something and, unlike Rian, to damn hard headed / stubborn to stand down......

SS

• Options
    @Shaughn - Think Obi-Wan Kenobi. You'll just come back.... stronger.

Tough week for me too.
    My second swim of the week was like swimming through molasses - nowhere close to my normal splits. The pool was crowded and I was cranky!
    Bike intervals were a challenge too. I barely scraped the bottom of zone 4 for both sets and barely pushed above zone 4 for the zone 5 set. After 2 of them, I cried uncle and got off the bike.
    Today's long run was crappy too. Zone 1 was great, but my push into zone 2 was tough. I wound up walking for a minute at the end of the set and then managed to pick it back up for a semi-strong zone 2.5 finish.

I'm not running tomorrow. I'm saving my legs for Saturday's sufferfest. After riding a hilly route for the last 3 weeks, my training partner and I have our sights set on a century on a much flatter course. God I hope this goes well.
  • Options

Sounds like the fatigue is stacking up on everyone. Remember its okay to throttle down your workouts either in intensity or duration or both. A day off is way more beneficial than just doing a workout just to do it and then doing it sub-par, or tipping yourself over the edge.Drop the green and even the yellows if you are feeling sluggish, tired or unmotivated, or having a hard time hitting the numbers.  There are no awards for completing all the workouts. Now its most critical to be getting all the sleep and good nutrition you can. Those two things have a huge impact on your ability to keep getting out the door and hitting the numbers!!! Okay rest and recovery sermon complete. 

Whew, the 2:15 run was a long one. Who would have thought that extra 15' would make such a difference. I did 18mi in 2:11. I eased up on my z1.5 and z2 paces a little (added 5-10") this morning as I didn't feel 100% still I kept the HR in range and got it done. My Garmin was on extra low battery warning after mile 12 so I really focused on how z2 pace felt in my chest (HR) and legs(pace) in case I lost it. Played a good game of guess the split / HR based on feel. After a few miles like that I got within 5 seconds per mile and ~3bpm. Thats probably a very good thing to practice for race day problems. I think Ill keep practicing that on all my runs. 

• Options

Good work everyone.  Now is when it really counts, and when you are feeling fatigued.  The long workouts over next 3 weeks always seem mentally harder for me than the actual race.  So stay stong.

Like Al, I'm training thru Kona for AZ.  AZ is an "A" race while Kona is a "C" race for racing but "AAA" race for the experience.  But I'm on the razors edge of recovery (from IMMT 7 weeks ago), build back for AZ and taper for Kona.  I finally got my speed and power numbers back up to pre-MT, but I feel like I'm still fragile.  I did stain an ab muscle this past week doing my weight routine, so I'm going for more rest.  Took Monday and Tuesday off.  Did 3 x 6' (4') bike intervals yesterday at 269, 272 and 281 watts so that felt good.  Swam only 1600 meters this am but did 12 x 100s and the ab felt ok.  It bothers me the most on the run.  My Kona plan has a 80' run tonite but might cut that short.   Swim tomorrow 3500 meters, then fly to Kona on Saturday.  Then it is just short, easy stuff next week before the race.  At this point I'm in the "do no harm" phase and will use Kona as a big training day for AZ.

• Options
    Sounds as if everyone is going well for the most part.

I'm doing RR #1 in the morning. I have it all planned out, but haven't had time to write everything down yet. At least I figured out nutrition plan and pacing. Shooting for 68% ftp. I always seem to have issues on the run and I'd like to err on the side of a bit too slow. Not sure how a 6:10-6:15 bike at CDA translates to the IMAZ course, but I'm expecting it to be about 6:00-6:05 for the course.

Saturday I have a 2 hr window to ride before soccer games and then 4 hrs in the afternoon (its supposed to be 95, so we'll see if I can get 2 hrs in). Then I have a 1/2 marathon I signed up for on Sunday morning (pacing my brother in law at (9:30-10 min miles).

See everyone on the other side!
  • Options

Posted By Peter Carroll on 02 Oct 2014 09:31 PM

...Not sure how a 6:10-6:15 bike at CDA translates to the IMAZ course, but I'm expecting it to be about 6:00-6:05 for the course…

Not sure its worth much considering how much I dogged CDA this year, but I was an hour faster in AZ last fall. Back on V 2.0 of the CDA course, I was about 30 minutes slower than AZ, I suspect that's what the delta would be for you >> 5:45/40 in AZ

• Options

Posted By Rian Bogle on 02 Oct 2014 01:39 PM

... I really focused on how z2 pace felt in my chest (HR) and legs(pace) in case I lost it. Played a good game of guess the split / HR based on feel. After a few miles like that I got within 5 seconds per mile and ~3bpm. Thats probably a very good thing to practice for race day problems. I think Ill keep practicing that on all my runs. 

YES - that;s a key to smarter racing. Being able to lock in the RPE for specific HRs and paces at various levels of fatigue is a fundamental tool for racing well, and the only way to learn that is by practice, practice, practice,especially during long runs until it;s second nature.

• Options
    The one-two punch of the Wednesday night brick followed by the Thursday morning long run is, for me, the most fatiguing element of IM training. I didn't finish the brick on Wednesday until nearly 9pm. By the time I finished dinner and "life stuff" it was after midnight. Then I was back up at 5 am for the Thursday long run. Ugh.

Fortunately I was able make up the sleep last night (12 solid hours!) so I'm really hoping that sets me up for the swim tonight and long work over the weekend.

It's so motivating to see the work everyone is doing!

Clark
  • Options
    Meh.... zero day today. No swim, no run. This whole working for a living crap gets in the way of a lot of training. I probably needed a physical and mental day today. Using the extra time just to get my head and my stuff together for the big ride tomorrow.
  • Options
    @Peter-I agree with Al, I bet you will easily be 30' faster at AZIM. it's a much faster course. I just noticed you live in Davis-I lived there from '87-
    03 when we moved to AZ

I got Thursday long run done in the evening last night as planned. Lovely weather. In two weeks it will be full moon just like 11/16. The temp was perfect with a cooling towel around my neck. First hour I nailed LRP but wouldn't'/couldn't go any faster. Next half hour I was just over z2(8:58): 9:09,9:08,9:19 then found my legs and finished sub z2-8:46,8:44,8;52. If I go down a point in Vdot I nailed all my paces. Since I did not test this last round, and the summer was so hot with a lot of slower runs, the lower Vdot is probably my true fitness now.

Since Ive been so fatigued this week I chose to get my 7 h sleep and skip the am swim today with the plan of doing it Saturday.
    And tonite starts the Jewish holiday Yom Kippur-supposed to fast until sundown tomorrow and be in temple from 10am on. This is worthy of 'you know you are an ironman when.... Training trumps the fast. I will do some liquid cal to get 2h trainer ride done before services, recovery drink, then Fast the rest of the day. There is a break for a couple of hours before closing service when I think I will get the swim in (LOL). Saturday long ride will be Sunday.
  • Options

Agree w/ Clark that I too struggle with the Wed Pain Brick followed by Thurs Long run but, I can't really see and easier scenario by moving things around.  I made a lot of mistakes for the Thurs run:

1) Dug a deep fatigue hole

2) Forgot I ran out of Perform and Salt Stick Tabs and used half strength Gatorade

3) Did not pay attention to the weather forecast and did not use prepare enough liquid to begin with for 78 degrees and 82% humidity.

4) Froze both 24 oz bottles and when I came around for the 3rd loop my only bottle left was still frozen - no nutrition........

Spiraled down from about mile 12.5 on.........good to have idiot wake up sessions during training execution .........

So, pulled back Friday and only did a recovery swim:

http://www.strava.com/activities/203090506

Got a 90 minute deep tissue massage and tried to get some sleep.

Saturday things were better and temps dropped to 40 degrees (from 78 degrees Thurs morning!)  So run the pre-ride run went well:

http://www.strava.com/activities/203090505

Long bike also went well in perfect weather conditions, spot on nutrition and focused interval execution:

http://www.strava.com/activities/203272177

Good luck out there to all this weekend!

SS

• Options
    My long ride yesterday was a total shit show. It was 55 when I left the house and 45 when I returned, soaking wet and freezing. It took 15 min in the shower before my feet finally warmed up.

I only managed 2 hours outside so I ended up doing the remaining 3 on the trainer. Fun.

The 90 min abp today was better but I just can't figure my watts vs my speed and heart rate. I was pushing high z3 watts at a low z2 heart rate. Guess I'm still learning the whole power thing.

Anyway, it's done and now I'm going to eat.
  • Options
    I got through the weekend of training despite the Yom Kippur holiday sundown fri-sundown sat and a partial fast.

I did last weekends wko's (wk13), flip flopping days, since I did long ride last weekend:
    Saturday-2hr trainer ride, Gibbs on trainer road which had intervals 65-70%. I did them 70-80% and it included 1leg drills which I really need on the left. I did it fasted on water only then recovery drink before off to temple and fast until 8pm.

40' run with one z4 mile Today, then I did 4hr, 74 miles, on 3 beeline loops. Weather was perfect, minimal wind. Got 5 of the 25' 80% sprints and kinda lost it on the last one. My feet were hurting from new inserts-definitely going back to the old ones
  • Options
    Sounds like this week was rough for everyone - present company included.

Thursday long run - first hour was great, then I chased zone 3 for half an hour to no avail. I managed to turn in something between zone 2 and 3 the last half hour.

Friday - decided not to run. Slept in and pushed my swim to lunch... then to after work.... and then of course, it didn't happen. Can't say I felt too bad about it.

Saturday long ride - A buddy and I did a 100 mile out and back ride on a flat course in pretty windy conditions. We battled a cross wind much of the way out. I hit zone 2 in all of the intervals, but never saw the bottom of zone 3. By the time we finished the intervals and had a bit of a tail wind, I was cooked. I finished the ride in zone 1. :( All totaled - 105 miles in 5:50 (not counting 3 stops to fuel and pee). I'm coming to realize that these longer rides are kind of aspirational... at least for me.

Sunday - I slept for 11 hours and pushed my ride til after church. I only had time for an hour on the trainer, but it was a good hour. Did a 15 minute warmup and then bumped my head against the top of zone 3 for 45 minutes.

All right - time to head to the pool and get week 7 started. Be strong everyone!