Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Bib offered for army ten miler

Quick question. A friend of mine has offered me his wife's bib for the army ten miler in two weeks. This is typically a very hard race to get into.

Am I a bad person for using it?
Will I get caught?
Does it matter?

I think it's a cool opportunity that I will jump on. He may even give me a ride to the race. Thought?

Comments

• Options
    If the race allows transfers, that is one thing. If it doesn't then no, you should not take the bib. While the odds of getting caught may be low, not getting caught doesn't make it right -- integrity is like virginity . . . once you lost it, it ain't coming back! Others may disagree, but I would not do it.

I think it was the Marine 1775 earlier this year that someone was caught using the bib of another (I think the guy actually won), and he and the person whose bib it was were both disqualified from certain events for a year.

• Options
    Nate -- it depends on what are the transfer rules for the race? I looked it up:

https://www.armytenmiler.com/registration/online-transfer-program.aspx

Bad news. The transfer optiuon ended Aug 22nd.

----"All transfers must take place by 11:59pm EST on Aug 22."----

So, rather than answer your questions, I think you already know the answers......
  • Options
    Nate, I'm in the "no" category on the basis of personal integrity unless they allow transfers. Sorry dude.
  • Options
    Wow, I'm glad I asked. I have never given this much thought and didn't really know that I would be violating personal integrity by jumping in.

thanks guys

• Options
    Not only that,
    my office sponsors a local 5k and paid for 50 entrance fees for employees. One of the older employees was not able to run and gave her bib to a younger girl. The young girl finished in 30.xx which was no big deal but since the original entrant was in the 60+ age group, the young runner's time bumped some older lady off of the podium. The young girl did not stay around for the awards but we noticed the lady that missed the race was posted as the winner of her age group in the paper. NOT COOL.

unintended consequences are what get you every time.
  • Options
    Nate - my comment about integrity is solely based on the fact that the rules of the race do not allow transfers of bibs after a certain date. If there were no rules against it, I would say go, but that is not the case, unfortunately.
  • Options
    My 68-year old mother gave her bib to a 37-year old friend because she wasn't going to do a race (the 25,000+ person Shamrock Shuffle in Chicago a few years ago). It was not a sale but rather an "I'm not using it, you want to do it?". The 37-year old went on to "win" the F6569 AG. Lesson learned. Do not transfer bibs.

That said, if you want to tear off the chip-timing from the back of the bib (or not wear the shoe tag or whatever), then I might feel differently. Wearing the bib to facilitate "participation" without "racing" is questionable from a values standpoint but I'm not sure at an event of that nature and size that the impact of your participation would have a material negative impact on other racers or the event organization.