Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Week 11 of 12 IMAZ - The BOX

2»

Comments

• Options
    @Joe, good point. I read once that it takes 10 days for anything you do in training to show up in your fitness.

Here is a link to the Tempe Town Lake conditions. It's 68F today and was 70F a couple days ago. Looks like it's going down, so probably somewhere around 65F on race day. That would be too cold for me to wear a sleaveless wetsuit, especially since I'll be in the water for about 1.5 hours.

http://wx.tempe.gov/TownLake.aspx

The best write up on the swim I've seen is in Al's race reports. He also did a podcast with Coach Rich. Additionally, here is a pretty good video from outside EN:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95b3O5hGefg

I also read on another forum not to do the practice swim on Saturday. Apparently the water is not that clean and a lot of people get diarrhea after swimming in the lake. Not fun for race day. Coach Rich also advised against it on his webinar because of the low ROI.

• Options
    For the lake temp obsessers it's 68 degrees and has been the last few days. I get to do a 4000 splash and dash in it tomorrow so I can let you know how it feels. However, I'm a wimp and wear long sleeve even in 76 degree temps. Air temps have dropped this week-nights are dipping into 50s so we can expect water temps to be mid 60s.

80 minute run last night-was able to finish last 20' at z2.5-so pleased with that. What makes me sad is I had the beautiful full moon last night so it will be waning to quarter moon in 10 days-last year I ran my 2nd loop under that full moon??

I've had a busy busy week and barely able to keep up with the posts-a good thing, to busy to be nervous. I do feel the need to pull out my old plan and checklists and start reviewing and updating....have kept up with the wko's except Monday swim.

After splash and dash tomorrow I will do my last beeline loops-from north side of lake by marquee so out to McClintock from curry road (bypass downtown tempe) 40-50 mi then 3 or so around the lake. I won't be doing the recon ride Friday but if anyone feels the need to OWS in a neighboring lake I would be up for that. I did the sat swim last year and don't feel the need to do it again this year.

As for activity conflicts, Thursday night also at 7, at Destination Kona, local tri shop near old town Scottsdale is having an early showing of 2014 Kona
  • Options
    Being aware of H20 temperature helps alot. Thanks for posting. I still plan to swim Saturday regardless of the threat of GI distress. Need to know the water before day of race. Al thanks for being a great resource for everyone. And thanks very much to all who has shared their wisdom. Looking forward to the 16th.
  • Options
    TTL is one of the asier swims. There are so many people it is hard to go off course on the way out. There will be people left and right and you can see to the wall to keep generally straight. Remember the lake curves. Sight off bridge legs coming back. I have done 5 races and the lake and been in the water exactly 5 times. As Rich said, not a good ROI to pre swim.
  • Options

Been super busy at work and home, so I've fallen behind on the forums. 

My perspective on the pre-swim: I always take the opportunity to get in the water on Saturday to get a feel for the water temp. I usually swim just 10 minutes or so down past the bridge and back, basically a warmup, but it calms any anxiety about what the water will be like in the morning, so for me its a big ROI. I've never heard of someone getting sick from the water, but I would guess it could get blamed for all sorts of pre-race digestive problems. Just don't drink it. 

Taper is going well. Im making my lists and checking them twice. My bike is all race ready and I'll test run her tomorrow morning. I promise to catch up on reading race plans and posting my own this weekend. 

Long swim on the books for this afternoon. 

• Options
    I can't believe we are basically a week away. I had a horrible RR2. My legs were cramped from the beginning and have been cramping every since. I have been so exhausted - don't know what is going on. I did the 60 min run yesterday and today my legs feel a little better. My bloodwork came back on the border of being anemic. With all of my responsibilities, I have not been good about eating right. Even though the lab said my numbers were within experimental error, I started taking slow FE and have been eating my spinach. Trying really hard not to freak out! My head knows I'm strong enough to finish this just have to keep my nerves in check.

I was planning to ride tomorrow and OWS on Sunday. I'm wondering if I'm better off skipping the ride and resting my body and legs. Can go to the Zoo with my daughter instead and get a pretty good workout ;-). Looking forward to OWS on Sunday to calm my nerves. Going to skip Sat swim in Tempe as suggested. I'm told the cove where I swim is alot like TTL. - cold and dark. I saw the temp at TTL was up to 71 just now. Water is crazy warm here too. Won't complain a bit about that! Hoping for some guidance on swim lineup at dinner image

Working to get my raceplan posted but crazy busy at work finishing things up before I have to leave.....
  • Options
    My two cents on the preswim and swim: the pre swim is really only used for water temperature knowledge..10-20 min at the most. it will not be low 60's this year so it will not seem cold as in the previous 4 years. i agree on the using the bridge pilons as the markers or if the sun is bright, use the tall tower to the right of the lake near mcclintock going out as the lake bends that way..on the return stay right and all swimmers will come back to you at the mill st bridge..way less swimmers and distance is the same. 68 today probably 66-68 on race day as temps have settled in. many people in the past years have bailed to the wall in the first 200 meters either because of cold water or 2800 people beating on them. good luck to all yall racing...control your controllables and all will be good!
  • Options
    Everyone is looking good and the usual pre-race jitters are normal... Trust your training.
    I can remember my 1st IM in '10 when I was terrified of jumping into TTL and it wasn't bad when i got in, and trust me, I am a wuss when it comes to cold swims. I was surprised this year when they announced that Mont Tremblant's lake was 65 back in August, that wasn't bad either. I am not a fast swimmer (1:25ish) and I generate plenty of heat. it is the first few minutes of treading water that get to you...

A bit behind on WKOs, did the 1:20 run this morning, had a shortened pool swim today. Planning on an ez short run and more pool time on Sunday...
  • Options
    I have to say I love all the questions, because I had the same ones ;-)

I've been taking it easy this week. I hit the mon-thur workouts. Did 7 miles on Thursday. I plan on doing an hour or two on the bike on Saturday just to see if I have my legs back. If I don't feel it, i'll be cutting it short.

I saw this and it really explains why I signed up for IM AZ. http://www.scarymommy.com/daylight-saving-movie-trailer/ "We're going to a place where Daylight Savings time doesn't exist"...
  • Options
    NBC is broadcasting their Ironman piece on Kona on Saturday, it is scheduled for 1:30PM ET. Something to do while we are sitting around resting!
  • Options
    Got in my final shakedown ride on my tri bike, a 2013 "classic" Cervelo P2 with Stages PM and Flo 60/90 wheels. After IMAZ, it is going on the garage wall for a couple months until I start ramping up for IM 70.3 Oceanside. I'll be doing the outseason workouts on my road bike.

I followed it with a short brick run in my race kit, a Castelli Body Paint trisuit with sleeves (I like the extra sun protection and supposedly it's more aero). I have an EN visor to represent.

My legs are returning to life. October was mostly riding and running on dead legs. It felt good not saying, "shut-up, legs." image

Tomorrow morning I'm driving down to Long Beach to get in open water swim practice at Bayshore. It's an inland waterway that has a buoy line for swimmers. I haven't done an open water swim since SuperFrog HIM at the end of September, where I got the s#*t kicked out of me by the relentless surf.
  • Options
    4000m splash and dash in TTL this am (four 1000m loops)-lake temp 67, lovely day. Water didn't feel cold at all-full sleeve wetsuit, neoprene cap, no booties. My time was disappointing but it was 150 m longer and 8 turns So figuring I can shave a few min off on race day. Followed by 2 hour loop on beeline. Wind from the north today so usual push up to Shea but saw 35mph in the first 2 miles coming back.

5 day weather outlook perfect!

Now I feel like taper has begun!
  • Options

Good work everybody....NOW REST.  Today is my favorite day of race week.  Complete rest.  I just got up after sleeping in and getting my gear organized is the only triathlon task for the day.

I had a good week. Several short but quick pace runs + a nice 10 miler on Weds.  Two hard bike interval sessions + 2.5 hour trainer ride yesterday at Z1 & Z2. Four good swims including 3800 meters swim on Friday in 1:13.  My sore lower abs are finally feeling better when I run.  I'm getting excited to go RACIN'.

• Options

SS checking in here. 

Bike delivered to TBT and, like Becky said, feeling like the real taper has begun now.

Suitcase on bed, packing list are out and things are beginning to come together......except for the anxiety part.....

Looks like the winter cold front affecting most of the nation will not affect Tempe this coming weekend......  TG!

Really looking forward to meeting all soon!  Cannot make the Thurs dinner because I come in Friday.....

Patience and Discipline....

SS

• Options
    @Shaughn-sorry to hear you won't make dinner Thursday night. Let's try to get consensus on another time for a group meal-Friday dinner after everyone returns from beeline ride or Saturday lunch??

I'm taking Sunday rest day seriously-writing this in bed, what a luxury!
  • Options
    @bruce - wow - Feel like I didn't do much this week. Afraid I was getting sick again but did get in a nice OWS today and 60 min "long" run on Thursday. Legs are finally feeling better and I'm feeling stronger so starting to get excited and less nervous. Planning a short bike to make sure everything is working after a tuneup this week. Guaranteed a PR so no pressure ;-) - right?

Got the raceplan up -

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/17253/Default.aspx

Looking forward to getting those last few tips, especially on the transitions and how to line up for the swim.

Excited to meet everyone in Tempe!
  • Options
    I did an open water swim at Bayshore in Long Beach this morning and feel ready for next week. I had never swam 2.4 miles in open water, only the pool. I wanted to prove to myself that I could do it. I did four laps along the buoy line, which is about 2.4 miles give or take. The Bayshore HIM does two laps on this course and puts that at 1.3 miles. As usual, my Garmin Fenix 2 was way off.

http://www.strava.com/activities/217432685

The water was high 50s / low 60s, so 65F in TTL will seem downright tropical. There were a lot of triathletes there warning up for IMAZ, so I got practice with other swimmers in the water. It was actually way easier to swim this distance in open water than in a pool -- not nearly as mind numbing. I was able to finish in just under 1:24, including losing at least 2 minutes wrestling with a swim cap that refused to stay on. My goal for IMAZ is a 1:25 swim, so it made me feel confident I can hit my target.

Looking forward to a chill week next week...

@Shaughn bummer you won't be able to make the dinner on Thursday. I feel like I owe you a beer for all your encouragement during training. image

@Betsy, good job on the splash and dash! Sounds like conditions will be ideal next week. I could meetup Saturday for lunch. My only plans for Saturday is to drop on my bike and gear for check-in in the morning. Maybe there is somewhere near the event where we could meetup after we check-in our gear. Friday night I'm taking my wife out for dinner (got to build up some SAUs since I cashed them all in for IMAZ image

• Options
    Ok folks! Gabe is suggesting a group lunch Saturday!! Any takers???

Chompies has full breakfast menu and dinner, something for everyone (except 60s psychedelics, Dave)
  • Options
    I think some are talking about lunch on Friday after the 4 keys and before the bee line ride. Just bumping that back up for consideration.

I would be in for a meal on Saturday as well. I'll be there for the IronKids event with my granddaughter and I want to get in a 15-20 minute practice swim. After that I'm free to eat, just let me know where and when.
  • Options
    I'm in for lunch on Friday. If Friday is out, Sat is okay but I'm just not sure how long it will take me to get my gear checked in and organized since I've not done it before.
  • Options
    In case y'all missed it, here is the link to Al's great forum entry about racing in tempe town lake, published last year:

It;s in this forum, thread labeled "Swim Advice": http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/13796/afnp/185249/Default.aspx
  • Options

Does this make it feel real??  You know which one I am (not the tall blond!)

• Options

Great Pic Betsy!!

I can do a Sat lunch if that works for the group....

SS

• Options
    It's sounding like we have a lot of interest In friday lunch after 4keys, before ride. And some interest in Saturday.
    As I have the luxury of saying I don't need to ride or swim I can be available both days.

I will be checking in at 0900 Thursday. We get the list of participating restaurants to use our $25 voucher at that time. I can txt everyone then as to the most promising ones and we can finalize Friday lunch plan at thurs dinner.

Also, team pic!
    0600 day of race never seems to happen.
    I suggest everyone plan on being at 4keys no later than 1015 and we do it then. I will be bringing team flag!
    Thoughts?
  • Options
    I would like to ride first and eat later.  I don't do so well riding with food in my stomach.  I think the picture at the 4 keys sounds great, less stress on race day trying to find everyone, though I hoped to follow someone into the water to go where Al suggests to start.  I can't visualize because I don't really know the venue.  Hopefully I can figure it out at the Sat. swim.
  • Options

I can do lunch either day, but it'd be nice to get to meet Shaughn and any other Friday arrivals before the race, so maybe Sat lunch after TTL swim and Tranistion/bike checkin?  

Pic @ 4 Keys is a good idea. 

• Options
    I am good for lunch both days...

@Betsy, who IS the blond? and is she single...just askin.. ;-)