Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

(Hot) Weather at IMAZ

Hi Guys,

My name is Fred. I will Be racing un the EN team on Sunday, in the 40-44 category.
I am from Belgium (hence a love of chocolate and some questions about how to deal with the hot Tempe wheater...).

Q1: RUN pacing : due to the temeprature, heart rate will Be higher than usual; si do you Go by HR or by pace (trying to Maingain tour "normal" IM RUN pace, as per the four keys.

Q2: in the M40-44 category, results were very différent on 2011, 2012 and 2013: much Fastrè un 2013, ans 2012 a bit faster than 2011. For those of you who were around for the pas 2 or 3 years: were the conditions significantly different?

Thanks very much in advance for your help, I wish everybody a gréât race on Sunday; as we say back Home: "soyez forts!"

Fred

Comments

• Options

Fred, hello. Good questions

For running in warmer temperature, using HR instead of pace is recommended. A good rule is: start the run at the HR you finished on the bike (should be high Z1/Low Z2). Hold it there through the first 20-25 km, then let it slowly rise to mid Z2. This will mean your feeling of effort (RPE) will gradually be getting harder throughout the run. On this course, you could also use pace, as it is very flat. But you would need to add about 4-6% to your projected pace to account for the warmer temps. Better to use HR, less confusing.

I raced in 08. 09. 10. 11. and 13. The weather is predicted to be a little bit warmer this year than it had been in 08-11, more like last year. But really, the high temps have always been around 22-24 C, between 12 and 4 PM. On the bike, it will start at 17 C rising to 25, then holding at 25 until about 4 PM, then starting to drop. No clouds. But the buildings along the run course do offer a some shade on the South side of the lake (miles 1-5). By 5 PM, the sun is very low in the sky (it sets at 5:30) and should no longer be a factor.

• Options

Thanks VERY MUCH for both replies Al, they're very helpful!

Btw; congrats on your tri achievements : very very impressive indeed.

Hopefully we'll meet in person in the coming days in Tempe

thks again, all the best for Sunday

fred