Home Coaching Forum 🧢
Options

Swimming in the OutSeason

I can't find the exact source, but somewhere I read/heard that swimming slower than 2 min/100m means the "no swim in OutSeason" might NOT apply to me.  Latest HIM results:  http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/sunshine-coast/results.aspx?rd=20140914&race=sunshinecoast70.3&bidid=1583&detail=1#axzz3KVQVPvgj

This puts my swimming, according to these results, at 2:31/100m.  Does this change what I should do in the OS?

Thanks, Aaron.

Comments

• Options

Posted By Aaron Smith on 29 Nov 2014 06:11 PM

I can't find the exact source, but somewhere I read/heard that swimming slower than 2 min/100m means the "no swim in OutSeason" might NOT apply to me.  Latest HIM results:  http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/asiapac/ironman-70.3/sunshine-coast/results.aspx?rd=20140914&race=sunshinecoast70.3&bidid=1583&detail=1#axzz3KVQVPvgj

This puts my swimming, according to these results, at 2:31/100m.  Does this change what I should do in the OS?

Thanks, Aaron.

Hi Aaron,

Please watch this video from a recent Coach Chat where I discuss how we approach swimming across the year, then let me know what you think. 

• Options
    Hi Rich,

I think my problem is definitely technique. I've had a handful of lessons with a local coach (who is also a triathlete) that has helped me work on my technique, but the timing and location of the sessions are difficult to make (I could only make the Sat mornings, which clashes with other training). Also, the sessions were beginning to take on more of a cardio/endurance focus, which is not what I believe I need at this time of my training year (which I believe is what you are saying in the video).

I get what you are saying regarding the design of the outseason plan for swimming, and I think that will work for me. I think I might throw a few swims in before the optional swims just to help cement the technique improvements the coach has given me. But other than that I will stick to the plan. I'll go through the resources in the Wiki also.

Thanks,
    Aaron.