Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

2015 IM Maryland Official Welcome and Introductory Thread

Welcome to the Sign In Thread!

Please use this thread to introduce yourself to your fellow teammates, telling us a little bit about you, your goals for the race, etc!

Comments

• Options
    Wow. OK, it seems a little early for this, but as usual Brenda is on the ball!

Nemo Brauch here. I've been with EN since the beginning and IMMD will be my 5th IM. I had knee surgery last year and while others might bounce back easy from that kinda stuff- I took my time and am being super cautious (nothing too fast, nothing too hilly). My original plans were to do Half IM's this year and save my 5th IM for 2015 when I turn 50 (5th at 50 had a nice ring to it). I also had no intentions of doing IMMD- ever. Just seemed kinda boring (I've already done Eagleman more times than I can recall). But the stars seemed to all line up right so that this race this year made sense.
    - My BFF is signed up for the race
    - I know a bunch of locals and will be able to get a homestay
    - It's just a 5ish hour ride away (no shipping the bike, no flights, no hotels, all means super cheap travel)
    - I'm really familiar with most of the course and have done reasonably well on it despite being a l'il peep that gets killed in the wind.
    - Where I live now, I'm essentially training every day in nearly identical conditions as the race course. Flat, hot, no shade, lots of wind, yup- got it.

So, all this made me think that IMMD might actually be a good safe place from my IM return. My goals are to have a really well executed race and steady pace on the run.
  • Options

This will be my 1st IM 

I'm 59 years old and will use EN for the training.

• Options
    I vowed never to run a marathon so it was always easy to say "I will never do a full triathlon". A little B2B Half post-race euphoria with a strong helping of peer pressure, I signed up for IMMD. I DNF'd my first half two years ago. So one of my main goals is to build plenty of confidence and mental strength over the next several months. Resisting the urge to quit, training and the race, will easily be my biggest challenge. I am very excited about training for this race. Raleigh 70.3 and a couple of sprints will be mixed in along the way. This will be my third year with EN so not wicked smart yet. Working on it though. I really want to be wicked fast and smart...
  • Options
    Keith- looks like we will be seeing each other at both Raleigh and IMMD this year! I'll be pumping your for advice on the Raleigh course and logistics (two different transition areas, ugh) since it seems you have a lot of experience there!
  • Options
    I am doing the kinetic HIM in May and then IMMD. Both will be my first long tris. I have done one Olympic and one sprint both about 15 years ago and pretty relied on based fitness to get through. Needless to say this is a whole new ballgame. I'm looking forward to seeing you all in October!
  • Options
    Sarah- I'll also be at Kinetic! Using that weekend as my race rehearsal for Raleigh. See you there!
  • Options
    Don't know how I missed this thread, as I'm on the board fairly regularly but yep, I'm in for IMMD also.

Joined EN for the NOS in 2012, so in my third OS now, and IMMD will also be my third IM. Doing the same build-up as the last couple of years....half marathon in April, HIM in the summer (Muncie), and a full IM late in the season.

Have done IMFL the last couple years, so looking forward to a new venue, and I train in flat....and often windy....rural area in Illinois, so should be well prepared that way ??. Also looking forward to not having to worry about, and often times train in, some pretty cold weather in October in Illinois. That was one of the selling points for me with IMMD over IMFL....a month earlier with IMMD.

Looking forward to a good year, getting to know everyone through the board, and then meeting you in October!
  • Options
    Hey everyone. Glad to join the IMMD thread. This is going to be my first full IM. Very excited that it is in MD, as I was born in Baltimore and my parents and some other family members live within 2 hours and will be able to support me (although I live in Puerto Rico now). While I joined EN last November, I must confess that I have another goal besides completing an IM. I've joined the "Save The Children" charity, in memory of my sister, Kathy. Since my sister passed from leukemia 2.5 years ago, I have not only been inspired to lead a healthier life, but have tried to give back to those in need. In the past, I've raised funds to find a cure for cancer, but this year I've decided to focus on children, as my sister had dedicated her entire career to helping children. If you're interested, check out http://www.savethechildren.org/IRONMANMD/david

Look forward to a great year...in about 3 weeks I'll be tackling IM 70.3 Puerto Rico.
  • Options
    David, you will love the IMMD course. My husband and I both did it last year! I think what you are doing is wonderful. Thanks for the link. Interestingly enough, I too lost a sister to cancer. And her name was KATHY!! Best of luck in your training and IM 70.3 Puerto Rico, as well as IMMD!
  • Options

Carol, Thank you for your support.  We have all been touched by cancer one way or another.  I look forward to meeting you this fall!

• Options
    Nemo- looking forward to seeing you in May!
  • Options

Hi all,

I'm super psyched to do IM MD; it will be #6 for me and kind of a homecoming.  I live in Northern CA, but was born in Baltimore.  Also did Eagleman  1/2 (same basic course) as my 2nd half IM many years ago.  I have a brother in Ocean City and lots of college friends in the DC area, so am hoping to get some of them out there to experience their first IM (as a spectator.)  I've been with EN for 3 years and totally love this training philosophy and the whole EN concept.  

My goals for this race are to ride strong, finally put together a solid IM run (no more of this positive split shit!), and have fun with you all! By the way, I'm also your Race Captain!  Just received all my Race Captain to-dos, so more on that very soon.

I don't have any lodging yet (yikes!) but have looked into it a couple times... not easy in that area!  My hubby and I have found a couple of options through airbnb and vrbo, but ~an hour away... he says he'll drive me in race am!  What have you all found re: lodging?

Happy Training!

• Options
    Lodging is definitely the biggest obstacle in my opinion that stands in the way of this race becoming hugely popular. I'm lucky, I've got friends who live in Cambridge and will be hooked up with a home stay. When doing Eagleman in the past, I've found a B&B locally- but that thing booked a year in advance and you had to be on the waiting list to get into it.
  • Options
    Closest I could get was in St. Michael's.....and that was like 3-4 months ago!!

Nemo (or anyone else that knows)....is it true that St. Michael's is within 30 min's from Cambridge?
  • Options
    Steve, that sounds about right without traffic. But getting to the race site on race morning will certainly take more time. It's essentially just a one lane road for the last few miles and (at least at Eagleman) there is always a back-up (plus you have to get over the bridge).

FYI to all- did you guys know the race is now sold out (except for charity slots)?! I'm frankly surprised. IMMT is still open and I really thought that would fill up before IMMD.
  • Options
    Thanks Nemo.

Yea, FWIW I too was surprised that it sold out this early.
  • Options
    whew!! Just nailed down my lodging - cute B&B room in Kent Island via airbnb. I know it's not as close as I'd ideally like, but upside is fairly cheap and closer to airports and Annapolis! More to come as your Race Captain in the coming weeks!
  • Options

goof for you julie

i had a room in Denton from wed thru Monday but  every day i kept searching and wala! i got a bed and breakfast just about a half mile from the event...and cheaper than the room with no real drive time....keep looking because things happen and there will undoubtedly some cancelations

james

• Options
    good to know, James! I think we may have gotten your room in Denton image hubby wasn't comfortable in the Kent Island airbnb situation, and it's a bit closer. I'm also talking to Ken Glah's Endurance Sports Travel - they have some rooms in Oxford, even closer. Curious, what sites are you using to search? Thanks!
  • Options

julie

i used all the searches,bing etc and just tried AirBnb...had to send the owner of the house why i wanted to stay there telling them about myself and they chose me over a few other applicants....seems like a nice couple but you never know as this is their first time hosting a bed and breakfast....all i really needed was a place to rest my head really

good luck..see you there

james

• Options

Nemo - I am curious what plan you are following leading into Kinetic? I am supposed to switch over to the last 7 weeks of the HIM plan this week but am concerned about the huge jump in volume from OS, especially given that Kinetic is really just for fun - no performance goals other than to have fun. My real focus is maintaining health and enthusiasm through to IMMD. I am thinking of just continuing the OS through 4/12 but doing most or all of the optional woks and increasing bike volume.  Would love your thoughts!

Sarah
  • Options
    Sarah- I'm following the HIM plan through to Raleigh 70.3. Kinetic will be a race rehearsal for Raleigh. I'd been following the OS since January. The only real "jump" I think is going to be on the bike- but I'm not too worried about that. Have you gotten the coaches to put together your Season Roadmap? If not, highly suggest you do so and then ask Rich Questions in the Macro forum.
  • Options
    I think I found a motel in DelMar/Salisbury. Looks to be about 25 miles away. I just have to say it, Captain Nemo I am also doing Raleigh 70.3/
  • Options
    Looking forward to seeing you in Raleigh. There is a large number of folks going from the Outer Banks (both OBX blue and Bootcamp red jerseys). I'll be flying the blue OBX colors that weekend but will wear my EN Jersey at IMMD.
  • Options
    I will be wearing my local kit as well. Most likely my EN hat on the run.
  • Options
    Signed up for IM Maryland this year. This will be my 4th IM, and the first one I can just drive to from home. We will stay in a hotel during the race, but at least I do not have to fly in. Close to home also means it is easier for the rest of my family to come and watch the race. Like Nemo, I live close enough that the weather should be the same at home as during the race, which will be a nice change for me as well.

I hope to get out on the actual course a few times before race day. It should be easy to drive down for a long ride or race simulation.

Christy
  • Options
    Great to have you with us Christy!
  • Options
    Hi all. I am signed up for IMMD and Eagleman this year. This will be my second iron distance tri after B2B in 2012. I have built some speed since B2B and hope to get a Kona slot in IMMD. It will be tough but I feel confident that EN will get me ready. I am also signed up for TRY Charleston Half on April 18th as a checkin to see if my race pace is really my race pace as I prepare for Eagleman. I have enjoyed sprint and olympic distance triathlons over the past couple of years. They are painful when you are in the open category but they dont last that long, so that's a good thing!

I am a father of three boys (ages 10, 7 and 6 months) whom I support by coaching soccer and volunteering at the boy scout outings. My wife is now more understanding and tolerant of my training than before when it was all new to me and her, so I have the support from her for this year's races (very important to plan the year with the spouse and get them to commit to supporting us as much as we commit to do the work).

I work in the financial industry as a portoflio manager - no physical activity required. I have been in the tri obsession since I turned 30 - 6 years ago. Prior to that, my life was sedentary since i turned 18 and began the work/school overload for the next decade. So, I am saved up to go fast now! LOL

I really look forward to meeting tem EN at Eagleman, and of course IMMD, and if anyone is willing to come down to Charleston SC for a spring half next month, hit me up!
  • Options

Michael,

Look forward to seeing you at Eagleman. It'll be a great tune-up and preview for your IMMD race.

Regards

Turby

• Options

Hi all,

Finally getting around to introducing myself (and training for real now that ski season has ended). I didn't have such a good day last year at IMMD and dropped out in the swim. It's a beautiful course though and I'm back to slay the dragon. I'm also registered for IMLP in late July so will have ten weeks between for recovery. I've been a member of EN for nearly 6 years and completed 3 IM's thus far (IMTX and IMLP twice) and several half's - all pretty slow. I'm moving up an age group this year (50-54) but I'm sure that won't make much of a difference.

Look forward to training with you all and seeing you in Cambridge!

Paul