Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Texas

2015 IM Bike Woes

Well, 

I sold my old bike ( Trek Speed Concept 7 , XS with 650 wheels), ordered my new one ( 2015 Cervelo P2 Size 48 with 700 wheels) expecting it to be in in about a 1 week and a half. The old bike had been shipped to a new owner out of state.What we didn't know, was that there were labor disputes at the West Cost ports. So my bike was sitting on a cargo boat anchored off the coast.  ( I am in South Mississippi.)

Panic ensued, luckily, my previous coach let me borrow her bike to put on the trainer. It was WAY to tall for riding outside, so I've been on the outseason plan and riding inside. 

Guess what?! The bike shop FOUND my bike in another state ( well not MINE, but one like it), and had it shipped. Panic over. Picked it up Friday after getting Retul fit, and took him out for a spin today.  First, I forget my heart rate monitor.Temp was in the 60s-70s here so it was great weather. A little windy, but it worked. I get it out, go 10 miles,and then my derailer won't catch to change the small and big ring back and forth. Cable was loose. Luckily, another friend of mine was riding, and her husband was her sag wagon. HAHHA. Yes, HER SAG. She is a faster rider, her husband is hurt so can't ride. Well, he came and fixed it, as he had some special tool that I didn't have on me. Sure, I could have finished the ride in the small ring, where it was stuck, but really........

Got on the road, then it started sprinkling. Looked like it was going to poor, but it was just windy.

All in all, got in 40 miles at a 16.7 pace. I have a lot of work to do, but now that I can ride outside, I know it will improve. Nutrition was spot on. AND, I don't care what anyone says. When you go from 650s to 700s it is a world of difference ! I can't even put it into words. The brain has this connection and muscle memory had me riding differently on my Trek. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the 700s!!!

Anyway, started having some muscle spasms in my lower back at 2 hours, I'm thinking because my body has to learn this outside thing again. Oh, and more core work!

Was supposed to have off today, but there were wind gusts yesterday close to 30, so no riding then. I could have got on trainer, but I HAD to get outside!!!

All in all, besides the little mishaps, it was a positive ride. Outseason is over, IMTX training starts tomorrow. WE CAN DO THIS!!!

Comments