Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Moving to Arizona

Hi Gang,

I'm new around here but have really enjoyed lurking and reading through different threads...awesome stuff! I'm impressed with the level of insight and knowledge so I thought who better to ask...hoping we have some PHX locals around.

I'll likely be living on the E/SE side of town (heading out very soon to start looking around). I'm 35 and enjoy being in the action a bit as far as restuarants, shopping, walking to things, etc. Most importantly, I need to find some training companions for long rides, runs, and OW swimming. I'm current signed up for IMCHOO in Sept and will prob consider another (half distance) race before then.

Open to any and all recommendations from you folks in the know!

Comments

• Options

Posted By Michael Quinton on 12 Mar 2015 11:32 AM

Hi Gang,

I'm new around here but have really enjoyed lurking and reading through different threads...awesome stuff! I'm impressed with the level of insight and knowledge so I thought who better to ask...hoping we have some PHX locals around.

I'll likely be living on the E/SE side of town (heading out very soon to start looking around). I'm 35 and enjoy being in the action a bit as far as restuarants, shopping, walking to things, etc. Most importantly, I need to find some training companions for long rides, runs, and OW swimming. I'm current signed up for IMCHOO in Sept and will prob consider another (half distance) race before then.

Open to any and all recommendations from you folks in the know!

All I know about Phoenix is from having been out to IMAZ pretty much every year of the race. Look up Betsy Kantor, EN member and local. 

• Options
    Hi Michael-your thread caught my eye!

I live in Scottsdale and will be happy to answer any questions. It sounds like you are thinking Scottsdale or Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler?

Old Scottsdale is a big restaurant area but not the only one.

As for Triathelon, huge local community with several clubs, which get first-third in the medium size club championships, so lots of community rides, running groups and masters swims. One multi sport is the club I believe goes OWS every Friday am (when I'm working).
  • Options
    MICHAEL!!! Booooo! Yay for you though! Tempe has ASU, so lots of night life in that area. image

You will love it there! Remind me to give you a big hug next time you are in the lab! image
  • Options

Posted By Betsy Kantor on 13 Mar 2015 12:19 AM

Hi Michael-your thread caught my eye!

I live in Scottsdale and will be happy to answer any questions. It sounds like you are thinking Scottsdale or Mesa/Gilbert/Chandler?

Old Scottsdale is a big restaurant area but not the only one.

As for Triathelon, huge local community with several clubs, which get first-third in the medium size club championships, so lots of community rides, running groups and masters swims. One multi sport is the club I believe goes OWS every Friday am (when I'm working).
    Thanks Betsy- great info! I'm looking at the Scottsdale and Tempe areas closely and looking forward to my upcoming scouting trip. Happy to hear the tri-community is large!
  • Options

Posted By Trish Marshall on 13 Mar 2015 08:31 AM

MICHAEL!!! Booooo! Yay for you though! Tempe has ASU, so lots of night life in that area.

You will love it there! Remind me to give you a big hug next time you are in the lab!

Hi TRISH !! Going to miss the awesome group of people @ Fraser- it's been so much fun! I'll be there from 2-4 Saturday to "pedal for a purpose!" so if I don't catch you then I'll be in the following Saturday for an early ride!
  • Options
    I'm riding 12-2 tomorrow and early next week I believe. I'll get ya one of those for sure! image