Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Training WK April 20 - April 26

This week I am focusing on the EN4Keys and more specifically "THE BOX" making sure to put things I CAN control inside it and leaving the rest for the birds. Inside the box making sure to CRUSH what I can accomplish and be proud of those efforts. 

What is your favorite EN4Key? 

Comments

• Options
    So interesting that you bring this up!!! I'm frankly working on trying to solidify my "One Thing" for this race. It's pretty easy to pick that "One Thing" when it's your first time, or you are going for a specific goal time, or maybe trying to get a Kona slot. But after you've been to the dance many many times, and you are not going for any PR's or glory times, it becomes harder to figure out what that "One Thing" is that you can pull out as your overriding trump card to tell your body to shut up when it wants you to stop or slow down. So that's my homework!
  • Options
    "the line" Up to this point I have been very conservative in my long course races for fear of approaching the line too early in the race. This year my goal is to race harder than I have in the past. That means the line will undoubtedly move a little further away from the finish than my previous races.

Had a good run this morning before work, just under 5 miles. Then today in the pool I had my best swim in a long time. I saw paces I haven't seen in 2 years. My stroke definitely felt a little different today than it has the past few months. This may be a result of swimming in the 50 meter pool on Saturday, I'm not sure. Whatever it is, I sure hope I can remember what I did and keep it up. Hope you're all training well.

• Options
    This AM swim was unusual. I went to the pool at 5 AM and all of the lanes were full with 2 or 3 folks per lane. So, I walked the 1/2 block home and got back into bed and went back at 7 and had the place to myself. 2700 yards in about an hour. That is pretty good for me. If I could get a good flipturn, I would be able to go a bit faster I'm sure. Coming down with the sniffles and so I will probably cut the run short today to try and avoid getting really sick.

Was going to try and get to one of the course rides in Raleigh that Mariah posted but they are sold out. Will have to drive over one day and go it alone. Let me know if anyone wants to go also and we can coordinate.

Will be seeing the Rolling stones in Raleigh on July 1 so I got that going for me.... image
  • Options
    @ralph you can crash the ride if you can find someone to drop you off- I'll be there on the 10th and know a few people crashing it I'm also signed up for the timed race swim right before

@nemo my one thing is the ONLY thing I've ever had down pat- Hope you share it when it comes to mind
  • Options
    Way to get that swim in Ralph. I hope you're not catching a cold.

I got a good interval run in this morning before work. The 2 Z4 intervals were tough but I felt pretty good the rest of the run. After work I had a good swim. My arms were tired from yesterday's swim but I was able to keep paces that I was happy with.
  • Options
    16 hours in the office yesterday and about 13 today do not really work with my workout schedule! I really need to win the lottery. That would be a hell of a one thing.

I'm going home and having a glass (a bottle is glass, right) of wine! Hopefully I can resume the regularly scheduled program tomorrow.
  • Options
    Great topics! Love both your comments Mariah and Nemo! I need to think about that!

I have had a forced recovery (read do nothing) few days. My husband got pneumonia and was home bound and saw doc last week and one lung got better but it move to the other so he is home bound another week - he is a PT . I happen to go in for a follow up visit right after the doc saw him - so she was overly paranoid about my 'cold' and thought she heard noise in my lungs so taking it easy!

Not sure which is worse - sick or working too many hours - at least neither is an injury right?!?! Cheers !!!
  • Options
    Best wishes on a speedy recovery, Ann (and also for your husband). Hopefully the forced recovery has you coming back rested and ready to kill it!!
  • Options
    Dang Ann, that really sucks! Hope both you and the hubby get some rest and recovery soon.
  • Options
    @John C- happy you are still with us. Stay as long as you like!

Today's long run for me was a bust. I had to shut it down after an hour and call it a day. No biggie, every now and then you have one of those crap days where you just gotta listen to your body and give it a break. Today was one of those days for me. Hoping I can bounce back for the weekend rides.
  • Options
    Nemo, same thing happened to me this morning. Got 9 miles (1:18) and called it a day. I fell very short of the 2 hr run that was on deck for today. Not sure what is going on but all my wkos since Sunday (RR) have felt flat. Heavy, heavy legs on today's run. Hoping this is just a small bump in the road.
  • Options
    Well, this week has been a bit off since I have the sniffles and am going to the Blue Ridge Camp next week and didn't want to make things worse. Bagged yesterday to rest but did the bike this AM. Those 8 x 1:30 Z5 are MEAN. Finished up OK with a new Trainer Road PR 1 min and 2 min power on the last interval. Still sniffly and am going to move the long run to Friday since Family is coming this weekend and I won't get to ride until late Sun PM.

@John - Welcome. I did the same thing last spring since I was racing a no-name HIM in Charleston SC.

@Ann - I hope you feel better soon.

@Nemo - Smart to listen to your body. Some days are like that.

@Mariah - Maybe I can get the wife and kids to come to Raleigh on the 10th and crash the ride. I will let you know.
  • Options
    Rest up for Blue Ridge Camp Ralph- you'll get so much more out of it if you can be healthy going in.
  • Options
    @ Nemo - My thoughts exactly.

So, Just for fun, I looked back at last year's HIM build : my FTP was 218w and my Z5 intervals were about 250 w. This year, same workout, FTP is 259 and my Z5 intervals are in the 305-310 w range. No matter how disappointing any given workout may be, the trend over time is upwards and it is easy to lose sight of that after a disappointing workout but certainly helps me to keep it in mind.
  • Options
    @Ralph I'll see you at Blue Ridge Camp! Yay!

Im going to Raleigh this weekend to ride part of the course hoping I can at least do 30-35 miles I did my longest run to date since injury today- 4 miles- can't believe THAT is my long run and it was HARD but oh well, baby steps right?
  • Options
    Coming back from injury always seems to take longer than it should for me. Hang in there Mariah!
  • Options
    Since I didn't get a swim RR done last week, I decided to do it this morning instead of my planned swim workout. Admittedly, I'm not a fast swimmer, but I was happy with the time and effort. I did it in just under 40 min. For good measure, I then swam an extra 500 meters since the workout today was supposed to be about 2700.

Mariah - slow and steady will get you there! I know it is frustrating as hell, but just know you will get there! I spent a large chunk of last year injured. I broke my tibia skiing in February and then, just when that healed and I could start running again, I broke a toe really, really bad. It took a long time to come back -- and patience is not really my thing -- but I got back.

• Options
    Who needs all those silly confusing intervals when you have a friend that is stronger than you to ride with? Got my ass handed to me today by a good friend- in a really good way. She was doing her own set of longer intervals and it's all I can do to hang on her wheel when she rides her zone 3. So instead of all that complicated crap in our plan, my workout today looked like this:
    Warmup: what warmup?
    Main Set 1: 40 minutes strait in Zone 4
    Recovery: 20 minutes in Zone 3, catching my breath but trying not to fall too far behind while she did a bunch of sprint stuff and then finally circled back to me.
    Main Set 2: 35 minutes in Zone 4
    Recovery: 25 minutes in Zone 3, thank God this was her cooldown as she was only riding 2 hours.
    Main Set 3: 60 minutes on my own, all Zone 2, I was TOAST!

A good friend is one who kicks your ass for 2 hours, then blocks the road that leads back to your car and makes you go out and do that final hour by yourself even though she knows all you want to do is collapse!

Great stuff- I hope we can ride together again!