Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Week 9/11 -- Time to dig in

Hi all!

@Al - 1:40.24 = BAM!!  Closing out the week with a HM like that carrying the load is just SOLID!

@Don - Depending on how long you are out on the bike leg, I normally push closer to .80 IF.  What was your total TSS for the bike leg of RR2?

@Mindy - wine for recovery works for me.....how did that turn out for you?

@Tim - Welcome home....be sure to add some TSS for all the "Move Home Work"

@Neil - I see Sherman as your location.....Is that Sherman TX?  if yes, you are just north of my McKinney location.

@Gordon - be nice to finally meet you in person.

@Derrek - Al has taught be a lot about using HR and rate of breathing as a second set of references when racing in hot environments.  You should trade some notes with him on that before the big day.

@Steve- big improvements on the bike front for you just in time!  Keep leading!

Took a rare rest day yesterday which made today one of the easiest Monday's I expect to see in the next 12 weeks or so.   Did some hills early and was fortunate enough to get in a lunch swim that included a 16X100.........arms felt like that might fall off near the end....

Have a great week all!

SS

Comments

• Options
    @SS - Thanks.

@Al - I'd be happy to hear any tips on racing/traing by HR. I know my zones and usually try to stay under low to mid zone 3 for HIM and high Z2 for my one IM. I have yet to figure out how hard I can go on the bike for 56 miles without sacrificing my run.

Yesterday I did the prescribed rest day except for a 3 mile z1 run and today was another Z1 4 miler and a 60' massage.. My 2 easiest days since before OS. Tomorrow is a AM swim and run intervals in the PM.

• Options
    @Shaughn, yes I'm just a 30 mile bike ride north of McKinney on the hwy 75 service road. I'm turning around a little south of Anna most Saturdays, but sometimes end up south of Trenton on the county roads near Hwy 69. You are faster than I, but I would enjoy riding with you sometime. Are you going to IMLP camp in June?
  • Options
    @Shaun TSS was 159
  • Options

Posted By Derrek Sanks on 04 May 2015 06:56 PM

@Al - I'd be happy to hear any tips on racing/traing by HR. I know my zones and usually try to stay under low to mid zone 3 for HIM and high Z2 for my one IM. I have yet to figure out how hard I can go on the bike for 56 miles without sacrificing my run.

Training by pace is preferred.For races with variable terrain and/or high temps, racing by HR/RPE is very helpful. You have the correct zones for that in mind. The thing to do in training is to be mindful of what certain paces on flat ground and/or with normal temps *feels* like, and what HR you see with them. Ingrain that into muscle memory, so you can call on it without thinking on race day. The race execution pages in the wiki may have some additional insight into this.

• Options

Oops - forgot to add this, which I posted earlier in another thread:

my standard plug for using HR and RPE to pace your run when the air temp gets above about 25C (78-80F). During training, you should get very good at knowing both what it *feels* like and what your HR is at your chosen race pace, in this case (HIM), MP. Lock those into your neuro-muscular memory, and pull it out on race day. 

Nominal temps are 50-60F. Most well trained EN athletes can handle using their VDOT directed pace on race day for temps up to 20F above that range, with some prudence as the temps and sun intensity get higher. But once you get near 30C, which is about skin temp, then it becomes progressively more difficult to offload internal body heat, and you MUST slow down, either your run pace, or by walking, to avoid heat exhaustion.

• Options
    I M away from home for a week of training for work and also me. Got the swim and run in. No Wi-Fi so strava will wait until tomorrow. Train hard and smart everyone.
  • Options
    Hi guys ! getting back on track this week !
    Got swim (2700m) and run in too

I will be challenged in the next couple of months because I just accepted last week a new position with my company and will be moving from Ohio to Mexico ! Great opportunity and job..but in terms on training it will be tough with travel, moving , etc., etc.

Anyway..will try to stay on the plan as much as possible and also have Syracuse 70.3 in the middle that I will basically race as a training session (as much as possible) together with Mike weinmann sho is also doing both Syracuse and IMLP

So...we'll see what happens !
  • Options

@SS Yes it will be nice to finally meet.

I got in a swim today which I was late getting to after work so 1800M was all I got in.  I realized that I should have done more OS swimming as my form breaks down really quickly.  2nd realization I'm still stuck on the OS schedule.  I was ready for a bike tomorrow until I looked at the plan and guess what, swim, run tomorrow.   I pumped the tire up for nothing tonight but the trade off is that and I get 15 minutes more sleep tomorrow morning.

• Options
    Hey gang! Hoping into the conversation here. Feels a bit like walking into a bar with super models. All the WSMs doing IMLP feels like a Semi-Pro team!

Got all my work done last week, felt great on the Saturday Big Day. Almost got creamed by a car turning left in an intersection as I came through a green light; that was in my last 3 miles of riding. The crumbled bike photo on team wall this weekend put chills down my spine. Had a great hour run off the bike, felt amazingly good. Maybe all the Caffeine in my PowerBar gels.

Late swim last night, got MS1 and 2 done, dropped optional MS3. Did swim this morning at Y. It's a Rat Race early in the morning at the Y. I was second in line at the door. Earplugs, swim cap, googles on. Second to pool, first one in. #winning. I think I've optimized T0 (Car to Pool). Was short on time and pretty beat with only ~7.5 hrs between swim sessions. Did MS1 and called it a day. Going to run home from work to catch my run for the day before going to a Cinco de Mayo party.

Keep up the training everyone and stay safe out there!
  • Options
    Hey all, finally pulling my head of... and waking up to the fact that I have an IM in 12 weeks, eeek!
    I had rotator cuff surgery in December, and the winter was a struggle, I managed to do a sorta OS with 1-2 bikes a week and roughly one run a week (with arm in sling)
    I really got going again in late march and had a solid April and now have been in the pool a few times.

I am going out west to do TOC camp with Coach R, Al T & some solid riders, so the motivation on recent rides has focused on lots of climbing & weight loss, which can't happen soon enough!

so, let the sandbagging begin! I have barely swum, have a solid run base & bike base now for a month and as of a week ago was 20lbs higher than where i want to be on race day... I may have to go public and post my weight weekly here to get on track and am looking forward to partaking in the mojo of this great group of ENers that this event is always comprised of. ...
  • Options

Scott - you mean I may actually be able to keep up with you next week? I hereby promise to monitor your off-bike calorie intake and hold you accountable for at least 3 of those 20#.

• Options
    @SS well the wine was made from muscadine grapes....so, I took one drink and that was all I needed to know it wasn't what I wanted!

I have a new dislike for that crazy swim set today!! I am just not a fan of the 100 sets where we sprint and then go easy, but I did manage to drop some seconds on each of the 100 sets. YAY!
  • Options
    How do you guys "sprint"? Faster stroke rate? harder pull? harder kick?

I've been swimming the same as normal, but up the stroke rate to about the fastest I can maintain form.
    Am I doing it right? Does it matter?
  • Options

I don't know if this is right, but its what I do ... today's workout, I was doing the same number of strokes per length, but going about 3-4s per length faster (1:45>>1:42>>1:38>>1:33). I use a pull buoy, so kick had nothing to do with it, therefore, I must be pulling "harder". I actually think it's more a question of having better form when going faster: getting a better, fuller "grip" on the water with each stroke.

• Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 04 May 2015 09:07 PM

Posted By Derrek Sanks on 04 May 2015 06:56 PM

Training by pace is preferred.For races with variable terrain and/or high temps, racing by HR/RPE is very helpful. You have the correct zones for that in mind. The thing to do in training is to be mindful of what certain paces on flat ground and/or with normal temps *feels* like, and what HR you see with them. Ingrain that into muscle memory, so you can call on it without thinking on race day. The race execution pages in the wiki may have some additional insight into this.

@Al - Thanks for the tips and I'll check out the wikki.  My run training/racing is by pace and I monitor HR to try and do what you said. While suffering in higher temps I end up using RPE.

• Options

Speaking of swimming, I attend a Masters Swim class 3-4 times a week and rarely do the prescribe EN workouts.  Any down side to that?  The Masters Swim session is about 80% triathletes and is coached by a triathlon coach.  In the past, about 5-6 weeks out from race day I add 1200-1500 yds on to the Masters workout taking me to 3500 - 4000 yds for at least 2 of the 3 weekly sessions.

Thanks!

• Options
    @Charles, no super model here. I don't think someone could consume that much alcohol and live. You are in the right place. Getting on the forums holds you accountable and gives you access to lots of knowledge.

I was up early for a 30' run, then to the pool this evening for 2100m. The run is all my foot will take at this time and my swimming form held out for a few more 100's today.
  • Options
    @al - I think it is me hoping to keep up w you :-)

I am "only" up 10lbs from last year's race weight, i never lost the final 10 last year... hoping to show up on saturday only 5lbs up :-)

for those chatting about swim sprints, based on last night's swim, key is pulling harder with good form, I swam 3000 yds as a mix of swimming & pulling 300s & 400s, then did 10x50 & 10x25; in the sprint sets, my fastest intervals were the last ones as i was focused on form, full stroke, pulling harder and making it count. Each interval was 1-3secs faster than the 1st 5

• Options
    This is my first adventure into IM. I am a little nervous about moving from 2 hr rides on the drainer to the 4 hour ride this Saturday. Have been hitting the run numbers, I love to run. The one thing I plan on working on for the rest of the way is my nutrition. I don't usually track weight before and after w/o. I also don't like to run with the HRM because the strap drives me nuts.

I enjoy all of the wisdom from the WSM - thanks for all of your insights and I am going to make some changes to my data collection to see if I can dial in a good nutrition / hydration plan for IMLP.
  • Options

SS mid-week update:

@Neill - I see your route and looks like we can arrange to possibly meet in Anna a few weeks down the road.  This weekend is calling for 90% rain and thunderstorms which puts me on the trainer for 4 hours  if that happens.

@ Don - 159 TSS on an HIM says you probably left some on the table.  You should be able to rack up ~175 TSS and still execute a solid run.  See wiki under power and look at the TSS tables found there for guidance.

@ Charles - agree we are really privileged to have so many WSMs and the experience that goes along with that!  HUGE benefit for the IMLP team!

@Scott - no sandbagging here bro!  I'm not fast enough for that, I just lay it all out there with no shame and that (while embarrassing at times) helps to push me and hold me accountable.

@Mandy / Don / Al - on the swim set comments:  I'll use myself as an example to support Al's comments.  I am one of the slower(est) swims within EN.  Increasing my stroke rate only means me working harder but not really moving faster because I am not good enough to hold the form. Now, we have some pretty incredible swim athletes in the house who can hold a 10X400 on increasing stroke rates and descend on that, but, for me, it is what Al described.  I like the set because it allows me to focus on a fast 25, 50 or 75 then slow down and refocus my form for the next one.  Very helpful for a slow swimmer like myself.

@William - going from 2 - 4 hr rides.....you're right, while tough, you're probably looking at 2 weeks of being somewhat uncomfortable and then seeing your body adjust.   Just going to have to rollup your sleeves and do what you can.  On that first 4 hour ride, I would definitely not put pressure on myself to drive intense interval work.....just time in that saddle.  Good luck with that.  I'll be right there with you on Saturday.

As for me - I am doing a bit of the Ironman Minimalist with Hack this cycle.  You'll see me biking with intensity on Tues / Thurs and running long on Sunday after Saturday Long bike.  It has its pros and cons.

I have run Mon/Tues and Wed (with interval work this morning).  Swam on Monday and also ripped my legs off on the trainer for 90 minutes Tues morning....   Hoping to swim later today at some point.

Great group here! 

SS

• Options
    @William - 2 hours on a drainer at intense & somewhat intense efforts is the equal of 3.5 on the road. The only diff is you will start to utilize more of your body parts over bumps, climbing, etc... it gets easier quickly as I have just learned!

@ shaughn - sandbagging is my 2nd hobby, you can see it all on Strava...

interesting tale of the tape and why i exited January at a good weight and am now at a bad weight

workouts since Rotator cuff surgery (Surgery was 12/10)

December R6 B12 

January R9 B10

February R4 B3 

March R5 B8

April R18 B13 S3

May R4 B3 S2

• Options

@ Scott - I'm counting on you to hang on to Al's back wheel next week and I will want a daily report.......I am hoping you can send over all of the Truscott riding secrets by week's end........

Don't fall prey to the older AG group card that many so often are misled by.

The team is counting on you and we will need pictures also! 

SS

• Options
    Hello all. I am racing a local HIM (Toughman, Ocean Shores, WA), on 7/11, and want a landing group for some accountability and training mojo. The Summer and July HIM forums have little to no activity, and this group seems like the a good fit.

A little background as to where I came out of the JOS: vDOT 50 & FTP 255

I had an IT band flair up during the JOSWK 14 HM test. Took two weeks off from running and went light on the bike. Working up to train back at those test levels. Long run last week of 13 miles at 8:10 pace was encouraging. Plan to up the pace on tomorrow’s long run.

The bike is coming around quicker. I’m struggling more with my new Kicker trainer.

Swim – Weak link here. October back injury flair up has me shortening these wko’s. Addressing it with PT. Pace is off slightly from last season.

This weekend will be my first Big Day of the season. Swim Friday night, bike and run Saturday morning.
  • Options
    Hi gang, raced St George this past weekend and didn't have a very good race. I guess that, means its time to get to work. One positive for this race, I learned that for me a higher turnover while swimming just makes me more tired and raises my heart rate.

Back to training this week and trying to get some running in since I'll be doing the ToC next week. I did 8 miles today and plan to run again on Thursday and Friday. Had good swims on Monday and Tuesday. Tuesdays swim confirmed what I learned, when I wasn't Gasping for air during and after the MS.

• Options

Got in today's run and bike.  For me I have not done much intensity lately on the bike.  My 4 days and 9 hours on the trainer did not have any ill effects on the speed. 

• Options

I sit here with an ice bag on my foot, no running today.  I did some extra non-tri work and my heel flared up.  Seem much better tonight after a couple ice sessions but not sure how this will impact the rest of the week. 

Not so good that I also got two posts in a row, perhaps everyone's out training which is a good thing.

• Options
    Goodish bike yesterday. Had to drop the last Z4 interval to save my legs for today's long run. Except that there wasn't a run today or yesterday either. A sharp pain started up on the ball of my right foot. Icing and rolling tonight and hopefully 2 more days rest will sort it out. Hopefully.
  • Options

@ Phil / Gordon - hope the feet and icing come along well and healing is fast for you guys.

@Teri - Sorry to hear about St. George, however, things like that usually help me get my head on straight and focus me going forward.

Had a tough bike yesterday but survived: https://www.strava.com/activities/299960772

EZ enjoyable short run this morning and Lunch swim at the outdoor 50M pool: https://www.strava.com/activities/300562125

Cheated at the pool and used the Pool Buoy after the first 1,000.....

Trying to get my head wrapped around a long trainer ride tomorrow due to high winds, 70% chance of rain, and possible tornados!

Sunday will be long run day for me.

How did the long runs go yesterday for those out there doing them on  Thursday?

SS

• Options
    @ Shaughn - I'll be joining you on a long trainer ride tomorrow. Pedals start cranking at 4:30 am pst.
  • Options
    Hello all -- first time checking in on the weekly threads, but will hopefully become a regular around these parts going forward!

I've had an interesting fall/winter/spring training experience leading up to this point.

in brief...last fall, i had a broken left big toe which caused me stop running for awhile. then, i had a solid NOS, but coming out of that broke a bone in the other foot, so I've just gotten back to running over the past few weeks. normally, i'd throw myself into swim+bike to stay fit, but some motivational issues and lots of hours on the road / in the office meant that didn't happen.

over the past week+, i've ramped things up and am feeling the mojo returning. here's the rundown:

Thursday (4/30) -- 60' run up & down Boulder Canyon (i spent last week in Triathlon's Mecca)

Friday (5/1) -- 180' hike up & down Bear Peak (challenging hike very close to Boulder; done with work colleagues)

Saturday (5/2) -- off day; watched my daughter sing the National Anthem 4x for the town's Little League opening day celebration

Sunday (5/3) -- Run Club with my kids and their friends, including a "fast mile" in 5'32''

Monday (5/4) -- swim from the training plan

Tuesday (5/5) -- swim from the training plan (shortened as my swim fitness is lacking)

Wednesday (5/6) -- spin class in NYC

Thursday (5/7) -- 100' run around Central Park; no intensity, but sub 8min/mile overall pace; awesome spring morning

Today -- swim from the training plan (did not do optional MS3)

This weekend, I'm going to get outside for my first outdoor bike of the year and go for a run with the pooch.

Next week, I plan get all the wko's in -- including the brick/short runs -- but hold off on the intensity. Will ramp up the intensity/volume over the coming weeks.

Look forward to training with you all and meeting/seeing you in LP later this year!