Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Week 14

Amazing that we are already on Week 14!!  That means only really 5 more weeks of real training before the long awaited taper begins.  On one hand, exciting to know that race day is approaching.  On the other hand, that means we only have a few more key workouts to really dial in our efforts, nutrition, and race plans. 

If you haven't already signed the EN athlete roster, please do.  I think I will likely be serving as the race captain, so when I have further information about our team dinner, I will send out the info, as well as trying to set up some other times to meet to swim etc. if there is interest.

Training has been going alright so far.  Didn't get the swim in yesterday, and not sure about today's run as I will be getting ready for family coming into town.  Today's swim was solid and real confidence booster ~ with good race conditions, I really think I might be able to look at around a 65-67 minute swim, then be prepared to be passed all day on the bike:o)  Looking to find every nook and cranny to get workouts in this week, so will likely be all over the place.  Hope all is going well in your training too; and please drop a line and some quick mojo if you get a chance.

Mark

Comments

• Options
    My Sunday long run hurt. I added hills to the mix and the bursa yelled at me for it Monday, so I dropped the run yesterday and today so that I could be somewhat fresh for my FTP test tomorrow. Did get in two swims, both cut short, but sitting on 4700 quality yards this far after reading about technique prior to each swim. After the test tomorrow bike gets packed for a business trip to New Orleans where I plan to get in the long ride Saturday. Still need to figure out where to swim down there for next week work outs.

Seriously considering flying to CDA the following weekend to do camp there. After STG surprised me, I am thinking a recon trip is best

DS
  • Options
    My week is going well so far. Didn't have time to swim on Monday but had a surprisingly good swim and run yesterday. I really need to kick my swim into gear- been majorly slacking on getting to the pool (some excusable, lots not). I feel in good shape with my running. Biking has me the most worried at this point, mostly because I've barely been outside. I did the BRP camp and got in some good mileage and climbing, but all on my road bike. My positional fitness is not where I want it to be, I need to start staying aero inside more to get there. Really hoping the weather cooperates to get both rides in outside this weekend. I also need to change the cassette on my tri bike and figure out my hydration set up on there. This will be my first long course race on this bike.

Doug, while training on the course is always great, I think you will be much more prepared since STG whether or not you get out there ahead of time. What is your race week looking like? I'm getting in Wednesday and plan to drive the course and ride parts on Thursday. Any company is welcome!

Getting excited not just for the race but the trip in general- we are going to go from CdA to Glacier National Park and then take the train back to Chicago. I've wanted to go on an overnight train ride since I was a little kid!
  • Options
    Rachel,

I love Glacier National Park! They do night rides a few times a year where you can ride your bike down the Going to Sun Road ~ on the bucket list. I call Kalispell, just south of Glacier home...don't forget to stop into Moose's for a pizza and beer.

Mark
  • Options
    Long run in the books: 2:16, 15.1 miles, 738ft elevation gain, ave HR 148/max 165. Longest run I have ever done. I changed the execution somewhat - decided to run by feel/breathing rate/RPE rather than focusing on rate/pace/garmin, with the goal of not blowing up (which has been a recurrent theme for me lately not sure why). Ended up with a negative split (1:12/1:04), ran entire time except for 10-30 step walks at the mile. Drank 1L gatorade over the whole course. Nutrition was tight.

Anxious to see my weigh in tomorrow am. Have been trying to shed some weight.

@Rachel: I will probably stay local and do camp type distance next weekend now that I am getting a feel for elevation changes. Right now projecting I will drive into CDA Thursday afternoon. Definitely want to drive the course, maybe ride some of it (for luck, it worked in Austin and I didn't do it in STG).

Have never been to Glacier. Unfortunately need to return to work, no time to sight see.

Good luck all

(Also, if somebody can forward a link to the team roster, appreciated)

DS
  • Options
    I had a great long run this morning! At first I was feeling discouraged that the easy pace didn't feel stupid easy, and then I realized I had a decent head wind. When I turned around my pace just naturally picked up. Perfect temps for running! Ended up with 15 miles in 2:11:29. Long runs are my favorite part of IM training! Now I just need the weather to cooperate so I can get the long ride in outside this weekend- I cannot take another long one on the trainer!

• Options
    Long run was great this morning, and lucky enough to be off work for the next few day; working all day after the long run definitely reduces my effectiveness at work, but makes for a good "what did you do before work" brag. Completed 15 miles in 2:10, with a good 60/60/10 progression. Will see if I can get a swim or bike in tomorrow ~ moving/garage sale Sat and Sun...I'll be that guy doing his garage sale while on the trainer; thankfully family is town to help.

Posted link in another thread to sign up on EN team spreadsheet for IMCDA. Please take a few moments to add your info.

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks for all the organizing Mark! Felt like a rockstar this morning after the run, now I feel like an 80 yr old woman. Foam roll and bed!
  • Options
    Man, I am still at work! 640pm!
  • Options
    The good- Finally got outside in Chicago yesterday and had a great ride. First long ride on my tri bike this year and position felt great! Had to cut it short to 73 miles in 4:15 due to an obligation, but it helped some confidence.

The bad- I heard a grinding sound for the last hour or so and my powermeter was reading all whacky. I assumed I just had picked up some debris or something. When I got back home I took the rear wheel off to clean and the freehub and cassette fell off. Uhhhh... couldn't just pop it back in either. My normal bike store was closed today, so I just brought the wheel in to the local place down the street (more of a neighborhood place, not really high end stuff) and they put it back together but weren't sure if there'd be issues with the powermeter and said the dark grease was sign of something corroding but they weren't able to see without disassembling everything what it would be. Tried to put the wheel back on my bike when I got home and seems all out of whack. My good shop isn't open until Tuesday. I'm hoping they can fix whatever the issue is quickly because I want to leave Thursday night to do a camp weekend on the IMWI course. Now I'm getting ready to do the Sunday ride inside (TV to catch up on!) on my road bike without power. Rant over.

Rest those legs kids, camp week is a'coming!
  • Options

Rachel ~ good luck with the wheel.  I was changing a flat a couple of weekends ago and my cassette fell off as well...thought to myself "I don't think that's supposed to happen?"  Apparently my hub just wasn't locked down tight enough; my fault, all is good now.

Horrid week of training for me.  One swim, one bike (80 mins during garage sale), and a few runs to include the long one.  Heading out of town this weekend again, but determined to get in what I can.