Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Week 15

Camp Week!!  Good luck to all those doing the full on camp week.  I'm out of town Fri-Mon clearing up some moving logistics and visiting family one last time, but am going to do my best to get as much biking and running in as possible.

Had a bitchin swim at lunch ~ actually swam most of my 100's under 1:30 per 100yds, and was a huge mental boost to break that barrier consistently throughout the sets.  Having only put down 5.5 hrs or so of training last week may have been a factor, but I'll take it nonetheless.

4 more weeks of build!!  Have fun out there, be safe, and lets all get to race day heathly and ready to pay tribute to our training selves!

Mark

Comments

• Options
    Ugh, had an AWFUL swim. Dragging through the warmup, decided to do some drills for a bit to see if I could rally, and that was a big NO. But I'll count my victories- made it to the pool and that is something. Try again tomorrow.
  • Options

Hey Hey CDA Peeps! 

Geeze, it's coming right up!  Doing the camp week at CDA on Saturday - Monday then following that up hosting a camp in Whistler the following weekend.  If all goes well I'll have 3 x 112 + 2 x 112 in the books.  Looks good on paper.... we shall see.  Pretty sure my crotch will give up before my legs!  

Mark nice work on the swim Rachel your mojo swim is coming - I'm sure of it!

Cheers!  

• Options
    Jenn, that's insane and exactly the type of volume I need; maybe I should have worked out the timing of this move better:o)

Rachel; I've had way too many of those days in the pool ~ sometime working hard in the pool is tough to find the mental reserve for...
  • Options
    Fatigue in the legs is definitely building. And the aches and pains are showing up. Had some SI pain and shin pain on my run, so I just did an easy 4 miler. At this point I'd rather be able to keep up run frequency than intensity. I took my bike in to the shop and they made a few more adjustments on the loose freehub/casette stuff, I'll test it out tomorrow. Nervous with a big weekend coming up!
  • Options
    Rachel ~ I'm a huge believer in frequency outweighing intensity, and even distance, when you have to choose between the two. When I am getting back into the swing of things, even a mile a day for 7 days, beats 2 5-milers in 7 days. Anyway, just keep listening to your body and take a break when you need to; want to see all of you on the course in 6 weeks!

Had another solid swim today; did the the full 4600, then 2x1 mile repeats on a treadmill after work...wish my speed there would transfer over more to the longer stuff...think I need to grab some of the mental mojo to continually push through the negative thoughts when they come.
  • Options
    Wahoo- finally a good swim! I was getting worried there...
  • Options

Hooray for good swims!  About to hit the pool for mine this afternoon then pushing off to CDA for RR#1 tomorrow.  Weather looks to be great!

• Options
    RR #1 done! I'll write up a bit more about it soon, but the key points are went into it with about 3 hrs of sleep (apparently I was an insomniac last night), almost pulled the plug after one loop, but powered through for 108 miles on the bike with a 6 mile run after. My NP ended up being higher than I though, as I currently just show AP, giving me an IF of 0.82. WAY too high. Given that I felt stronger the second half than the first and had a great run after makes me think that my FTP may be higher than my last test, though probalby not THAT much higher. Time to change my Garmin displays and keep a better watch on things. Happy Race Rehearsing everyone!
  • Options
    I had a good, campish weekend! Apparently did not have enough spousal points to do the second ride Sunday:
    - Friday: 4400yd swim in 1:23 (first attempt)
    - Saturday: 107 mile in 6:13 with 6mil run in 53:00 (longest ever bike ride)
    - Sunday: 75 min trainer spin @ Z1
    - Monday: 15mi run in 2:16 - Executed this better than last week and RR. 1st 6 miles in 58 minutes (specifically tried to keep it stoopid slow (9:40/mi) per Jedi master Truscott's advice, ave HR 138 with 400ft elev), then settled in for 7 mi averaging 8:48. Final 2 miles I pushed for 7:58 and 7:42. Total elevation 883, or 86% of CDA gain in <60% of the distance. F*** you St George HIM! <br />
    Somehow gained 2lbs over this week despite best effort to stay hungry all week - which basically sucks and I am sick of this stupid game of body comp - but happy with my performance overall regardless of my adipose.

Thoughts:
    - Need to figure out how to shift better, dropped my chain 3x on long ride. At least I didn't fall over (ala St George).
    - Though I appear close to understanding the correct effort level during the run, the long run is quite painful at the end and I am still not sure how all of this will end up.

I got a Rudy helmet and rented wheels (808 and a disk), so I am all in now. A super competitive clydesdale-esk triathlete.

Hope you are had a good week. Looking forward to seeing the team.

DS
  • Options

Posted By Doug Sutherland on 25 May 2015 02:42 PM

...Need to figure out how to shift better, dropped my chain 3x on long ride. At least I didn't fall over (ala St George).

- Though I appear close to understanding the correct effort level during the run, the long run is quite painful at the end and I am still not sure how all of this will end up.

If you don;t know how to adjust your derailleurs yourself, schedule an appointment for a tune-up at a competent bike shop NOW. Chain falling off when shifting should NOT happen on a properly tuned bike. But one little trick even if you have a well tuned drive train - while shifting, make a micro adjustment to ease off pedaling for a fraction of a second, to allow the chain to transition more smoothly.

I don't know about anyone else, but I ALWAYS hurt at the end of a long run, by which I mean anything longer than about 110-120 minutes. I've tried salt, nutrition, fluids, compression clothing while running, fatter shoes, lighter shoes, different pacing, but the simple fact is, my thigh (and sometimes calf) muscles always start to complain after that time of abuse. The "trick" is to ignore it, at least *while* running. It;s a trick, because our training should have prepared us physically to handle the distance, so the presence of pain does NOT indicate permanent damage. Warning: if you try running too long too soon, without a proper build up of, say 10% increased distance each week, this does not apply.

• Options
    Team; great job on the RRs. Moving admin stuff took too much of my weekend, and was not able to get any RR in; looking to do the RR this Saturday, but not doing a whole camp weekend. It's great to hear of all your work and successes; it will definitely motivate me to keep on pedaling.

Al; thanks for jumping in on our forum! Are you racing CDA this year ~ I know you are the CDA master, so even if you aren't racing, thanks for looking out for the rest of us and providing that WSM advice and tips.

Mark
  • Options

Posted By Mark Hickman on 26 May 2015 10:30 PM

Al; thanks for jumping in on our forum! Are you racing CDA this year ~ I know you are the CDA master, so even if you aren't racing, thanks for looking out for the rest of us and providing that WSM advice and tips. 

I'm doing Lake Placid, not CDA this year. But I have done the race 10 times (so far!), and feel a kinship with it and the ENers who do it. I will not be there, but will be watching you all online!