Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP 12/8 - Setting the Baseline

All,

Welcome to Week 12 - AFTER this week, 8 weeks remain leading up to race day!

HUGE Big Day reports across the board!  Quite humbling from my view.  Smart, hard working, veteran type output is what I see!

I had a good Big Day as well.  Got out about 6:45 a.m. on the bike and took a chance that I could avoid lightning storms.  (The thought of another 4 hour ride on the trainer was not something I could bear). I had only rain and wind near the back half.  I was very pleased coming in with 4:05 and an overall .75 IF set from my GF FTP baseline just a few weeks ago.  That took some focus, let me assure you.  I ran well off the bike and negative split the GAP pace on the back half of a 7 miler over rolling hills.  Cooler temps (75 degrees) made a big difference.

I drink about 24 ounces every 30 minutes.  Maybe a little less at 75 degrees.  I use 3 scoops of GE per 24 ounce bottle (I weigh 175 lbs.)  At :10 on the hour I put down 1X Caf Power Gel and at :40 1/2 Power Bar.  That formula works well for me.  Once I see ~80 degrees I have to add Salt Stick caps and more water.  During training I like to reward myself around mile 70ish with a coke and a banana........

During the run I am drinking 5 - 10 ounces of GE half strength every 2 miles and 1 Clif Blok shot 1X caf every 2 miles after mile 5-6....

Sat afternoon we traveled to Broken Bow OK to spend the weekend in a Cabin and on Sunday we did a Family hike over some tough terrain in a Monsoon shower crossing some areas that had flash flooding......beautiful and dangerous......

Monday was a Travel day -  no swim.

This morning was "Back to Reality" with an FTP test where I validated/matched my FTP set 3 weeks ago after 8 weeks of GF Plan:

https://www.strava.com/activities/312122905

That was painful..........

Have a great week for those testing and setting the baseline this week!

SS

Comments

• Options
    @SS ..... Damn you... Nice TEST ! You made me get off my A$$ and do one.....Thanks I think???? I havent tested since June or July last year so I was over due....

Well my plan was 40min of FTP work today... Saw SS post before heading out the door and somehow managed to put down a 2 x 20' (2') outdoor aero FTP test.... 42' NP power came in at 218 which is just under my current Power Curve and 12 watts lower than last years best.... Yeah I have lots of reasons and excuses , big weekend , not rested , blah , blah , blah.... But it is what it is and I'm happy with results :-)

https://www.strava.com/activities/312224007/laps
  • Options
    Speaking of testing, I would enjoy the thoughts of the test and possible issues. I recently raced a 5k and was as fast as I could be that day. A little warm and humid, sleep was a little off and it was a good time but would actually lower my paces for training. I have been exceeding the run pace goals for the 2 x 1 mile and the second half of the long runs. My thought is to move the zones one click faster and NOT test at all because the training effort / results have been consistent that I CAN make those faster numbers happen. Would love to hear the feedback for a little reassurance. Bike, well that is another story.
  • Options

Posted By William Bejin on 26 May 2015 01:33 PM

Speaking of testing, I would enjoy the thoughts of the test and possible issues. I recently raced a 5k and was as fast as I could be that day. A little warm and humid, sleep was a little off and it was a good time but would actually lower my paces for training. I have been exceeding the run pace goals for the 2 x 1 mile and the second half of the long runs. My thought is to move the zones one click faster and NOT test at all because the training effort / results have been consistent that I CAN make those faster numbers happen. Would love to hear the feedback for a little reassurance. Bike, well that is another story.

William my two cents is to keep the zones earned in the last 5K.  Adding the volume of 3 swims a week and ~8 hours of biking can make those 2X1s begin to feel heavy.  IMO, if you are doing all that volume and they still feel EZ, then add another one and call it a 3X1....................Adding a 3rd interval should, in no way, cause you to compromise hitting your other volumes/targets however.

SS

• Options

Posted By tim cronk on 26 May 2015 01:28 PM

@SS ..... Damn you... Nice TEST ! You made me get off my A$$ and do one.....Thanks I think???? I havent tested since June or July last year so I was over due.... 

TC  Your Welcome!  Anything I can do to make you faster, the competition can thank me for later!  Just keep sharing, working, leading, and we will all show up and take IMLP by storm!

• Options

Completed my FTP test...dropped by one watt to 207 (NP was 218). 

All I have to do now is lose 45 pounds and I'll match Tim's watts/kg!   LOL

VO2 Max down from 249 to 245.

I can live with it...I did wait until after work...maybe I would have saved a watt or two if I got it done before work.
  • Options
    The dreaded 5 / 20 FTP test is in the bag.

Significant gains on the VO2max but pretty steady on the overall FTP. I'm still adjusting to the Kurt Kinetic trainer (man, that thing can just kill my legs INSTANTLY) so I may need to rebaseline, but I'm pretty comfy with the results I saw today...
  • Options
    Despite doing Challenge Knoxville 70.3 and then doing a 102 mi ride on Sunday called Mountains of Misery with a little more than 10,000 feet of climbing, my FTP test went really well today. I managed to go from 158 to 168 for the 20 min. However, I have no idea what the 5 min V02 max numbers are since I can't figure out how to read the segments on the Garmin 920...I did push laps for the 5 min test, the recovery, and the FTP...so if someone knows how I can figure out that data, it would be awesome...if not...oh well....I'm still going to keep training and smiling.

Now I am trying to decide if I should do Sat and Sun workouts on Thursday and Friday since I am unable to complete them on required days. Oh, and our pool is closed for this week and the lake is forbidden because it is private...there is another pool to the tune of $500...not a viable option. I am thinking of doing swim cords instead. Any advice on switching all this around would be awesome. Oh, an I would do the 5k TT on Sat or Sun.

Woop, woop! Happy Training!!
  • Options
    @Mandy Go look at your data in Garmin Connect (modern view) and click on the SPLITS tab. There should be a split for your 5 min VO2 max. Scroll to the right and you'll see the Normalized Power.
  • Options
    @Don,

Is that something I can see on the actual computer and not my Ipad?

How are you feeling since Knox? I was DONE for about 3 days after that race.

Mandy
  • Options

@Don,

BAM!!! I have it!! Now I shall be super smart!!

THANK YOU!!

Mandy

• Options
    Ok, one more question- for the V02 max, do I look at the normalized power, avg power, or max power? :-/
  • Options
    @Mandy I go by Normalized Power. I know it's NP for FTP, so I assume it's the same for VO2Max. I felt really good the very next day, but I did take two days off before resuming workouts. Sunday was the first workout where I felt about 100% though.
  • Options
    @Mandy quite often (almost all the time) the shorter intervals of 5 minutes or less will actually have a higher AP than NP..... AP is the true average power of that interval... If this is a higher number it is totally acceptable to use it (that is the actual work you did).... NP is derived from some kind of rolling average that uses the prior 30 seconds (I believe) hence giving you a lower number than the actual interval... In fact if you do an Interval less than 30 seconds in length you won't even get a normalized power for that interval ! A steady Interval in the 20 minute range will almost always give you equal AP/NP (with a watt) ....

VERY NICE WORK BTW !
  • Options
    @Tim Thanks for the correction. That makes sense.
  • Options

@ Mandy, Stu, Derrek, Don - Nice work getting through the FTP test!  I know those suck!  That last 5 minutes for me the clock feels like it is moving backwards.............

All,

If not completed already, please input your data at the attached EN link, IMLP tab:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...=1#gid=125

SS

• Options
    @ Shaughn -- thx for posting the sheet -- all filled out!

Here's a quick roundup of my last week of training:

Thursday 5/21 -- long run of 13.4 miles at 7:50 avg pace

Friday 5/22 -- 3100 yd swim sandwiched between two ~20' runs to the pool and back

Saturday 5/23 -- 3hr30min ride followed by 2 hours of doubles tennis

Sunday 5/24 -- 1hr run with lots of hills

Monday 5/25 -- 20' swim at the pool and 1hr walk with my wife & dog to try and preserve some SAUs; plus, some more light tennis with my 10 y/o boy!

Tuesday 5/26 -- 1hr swim with 40' run including lots of hills in Central Park

Wednesday 5/27 -- bike test! lost some FTP since the end of OS but attribute that to injury, laziness, and lack of intensity in recent bike training; going to run with the numbers from this test and see if I can't find some additional watts between now and race day; tacked on a 40' hilly run afterwards
  • Options
    Had a great big day. Traveled to seacoast NH. Did swim in pool, felt good. Cool weather in the 60's and WINDY for the bike. Wore the sweet EN Capo jacket and was encouraged to stay Aero due to the wind. Didn't have great confidence in my positional fitness but did much better than expected. Biked the coast from NH/MA border up to ME and few miles in ME past where I lived for a year by Portsmouth Naval Shipyard. Gorgeous sunny day. Cool temps and winds kept the beach goers down so I had less traffic on roads to contend with. Negative split the run off the bike including a threshold mile as the last mile. Felt like $1M afterwards.

Wife and her friend did shopping at outlets and online over the long weekend. I came home and ordered a Wing57 in White with Red trim (EN!) :-D

Got refit for a saddle today. New Cobb JOS Randee. Higher stack height on cockpit. Bars moved forward and leveled out more. Weight loss and flexibility improvement allowed cockpit tweaks.

Looking forward to my 5k test to chip away at my pace. Also excited for a comfortable outdoor ride Saturday and Sunday!
  • Options
    Hmmmm.... one of my enemies returned tonight - had cramps so bad in the pool I had to stop and just try to walk them off. I was about 1/2 through my session and had been swimming moderately hard (for me) when I noticed that my inner thighs started to tweak every time I pushed off the wall during a flip turn. I tried softer and softer pushes off the wall but couldn't keep them at bay, so I tried an open turn when both my legs locked up. I sat on the side of the wall for a while before I could figure out how to get out of the pool! image

I was well hydrated (3 liters of water today with nuun tablets), so I'm at a loss. Maybe my legs just needed a little more time after the 5 / 20 test yesterday. Anyway - got a good bit of the workout with 12 x 50s and 10 x 100s at an 1:48 pace... but any ideas on the inner thigh cramps would be welcomed!
  • Options
    @SS - Thanks. Data updated.
    @Stuart - my experience with inner thigh cramps (from run) is it starts with fatigued major muscles (e.g. glutes, quads) and our body automatically engages the inner thigh muscles to share the workload. Since the inner thigh muscles are not designed for and not trained for that type of work, they quickly fatigue and cramp from over usage.

This was my first 40' TT and first time testing outside. Previous test were on the trainer using Trainer Road and virtual power. Yes, I need to get a power meter. It was a tough effort and mentally tough but after the first 10-15 minutes I found a grove and enjoyed holding the faster pace. Afterwards I did a Z1 brick run just to add to my suffering. Today was masters swim and I did an easy 3 mile recovery run. Now I'm trying to get my mind right for the 5K TT Thursday morning...12.5 laps around a high school track.
  • Options
    Bam! 5K test is in done and surprisingly I set a 16 second PR with 19.28. I said surprisingly because though I had a good warm up, my breathing seemed labored throughout the whole test and it felt like each mile was slightly slower. And looking at my HR post test, it never settled into a steady rate. Every 400 meter lap my HR steadily increased. I did this test at a high school track and set my Garmin to auto lap each lap because last time I spent too much time on "was that 9 or 10 laps". I also know Gamin isn't too accurate around tracks so I wanted to rely on exact meters and not GPS distance, which worked great as my Garmin had me at 3.25 miles. Weather was not ideal...67 degrees with 95% humidity. Data is on Strava and GC: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/787148781 Run strong and I hope everyone does well.
  • Options
    PR on my 5k test this morning...by 3 seconds! 26:26 (7:59, 8:46, 8:48)
    vDot remains at 35
  • Options

@ Derrek / Don - no surprise to me that we are seeing you guys throw down PRs on the Run TT!!!  Been very consistent putting in all the work and it is well deserved!  Way to lead!

@TC - HUGE TT w/ great speed one day after the Bike FTP test - proof that you are not human as I have been saying!

Did my TT this morning and kind of got my ass handed to me.  A little slower than the past @ 76 degrees and 90% humidity.  Did push and drive my HR up and hold as you can see in the attached: https://www.strava.com/activities/313545372

Time to suck it up and move forward!

SS

• Options
    Nice 5k Tests guys! Congrats....

I did my 5k test yesterday on the track... Using the Garmin 910xt I ran 3.1 miles in 19:10 which is way faster than I am capable of .... Usually Garmin measures 1/10 long on a 5k which really affects the pace average.... I have never tested on a track , after that data , I "google edumacated" myself on the TRACK , went back today to run my brick as 12.5 laps around lane 1...... This measured 3.3 miles WOW... So my test was closer to low 20min .... Still happy with that... Since we never really know the distances of the courses we race on I have always been a fan of just using the Garmin data we get , after all that is what we monitor when training and racing.... But from now on I will test on a 400M track for consistency and reality.... Bike was hills, v02, strength , 5 x 1' V02 , 4 x 3' V02 , 4 x 4' low cadence strength work!
  • Options

Today was a big ride. We are of course having crazy weather. Yesterday during my run it was 80 degrees and humid. Woke up to 55 degrees, rain and big wind. I waited around for the roads to dry off and headed out into a 20+ mph west wind. I rode west into that wind for 45 miles. The gusts were very strong and nearly stopped me on a few occasions. Fortunately it was a head on wind. All the way out I was thinking how great the ride back was going to be. It was for the first 25 miles. Then the wind shifted and really beat me around. 

On the ride analysis, I went out a bit too hard. The wind was really strong and it was hard to ride into. I pushed 10 to 15 watts too high for the first 20 miles. I settled in after that and just focused on staying aero and keeping my VI low. Because of the route I took(out & back) I only had 4 bottles of infinit with me. I brought one banana because that was all that was in the house. I managed the 4 bottles right to the end of the ride and ate the banana at the turn. That was not enough fuel and I would not have done well on the run. I did stop to empty my bladder twice. Too much coffee before the ride or it would have only been one time. My bicycle performed very well. I shifted often and it responded each time. I may move my seat another few mm's forward as I got some friction issues.

90 more miles left to ride. I thing those miles will be in two ride.

• Options
    @Tim - The same happened to me 3 tests ago on a 400 meter track. So, this time I set my 910 to auto lap by location based on my starting point (so I didn't have to count laps). My 910 measured 3.25. Our private use GPS devices aren't very precise. Case in point, my 910 did not beeped at the same point for several laps; but it was always within one or two steps. Also, 400 meters = .2485 miles. 10 of my laps were .26 miles, one was .25 and one was .27 and the last 200 was .13 miles. Not precise at all. Check out the 400 meter splits in my Gamin Connect file. https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/787148781
    Like you said running 12.5 laps in lane 1 on a 400 meter is exactly 5000 meters. And using Gamin's time, you can calculate total and mile paces.
  • Options

Posted By tim cronk on 28 May 2015 05:43 PM

...I did my 5k test yesterday on the track... Using the Garmin 910xt I ran 3.1 miles in 19:10 which is way faster than I am capable of .... went back today to run my brick as 12.5 laps around lane 1...... This measured 3.3 miles WOW... So my test was closer to low 20min .... 
    And I was *just* about to congratulate you on confirming your membership in the "50/50" club - VDOT and age both > or = 50. 49.6 VDOT or above qualifies, IMO.

Today, I did an OWS of six lengths of my lake >> 3800 meters. Garmin claims 4300 meters, but I don;t buy that for a second 1:15.45 moving time. A beautiful day, fog lifting as we (wife and I) started, sunny/59>65F, calm empty water with a 5 mph tail wind on the way out. One of the reasons I like training, those OWS on a day like today.

• Options
    Mixed results on the 5k test today - knee hurt (badly) on the warmup and I really pushed too hard on the opening mile, was inconsistent, and blew up at the end with HR way out of bounds. vDOT measures as 36 on the shorter part of the course I measured, but I will redo this one next week because I don't trust the consistency....

Good opportunity for a "re do" to review and get the pacing right! image
  • Options
    Quick update before bed - I bailed on the 5K test tonight. ran to the track and started in but started to come apart before finishing the first 800. Shut it down at 1200 to save my efforts for another day.

Great stuff by everyone else. Plan to get it done this weekend after I recover from overloaded work week.

Full week recap to follow.
  • Options
    Great 5k numbers getting put up by the team. @Tim and @Al the deuce 50 club, wow. I'm happy to be in the deuce 33 club. Put up a 25:36 5k today. A significant improvement, 20 second Z2 pace improvement. My last test also showed significant gains. Very excited. Looking forward to even more gains before race day.

I will say that my 920xt is crazy. Vdot predictor is in high 40's, and predicts my 5k time at 21:16. Yet recorded my fastest mile on the watch today of a 7:38. I love the watch but, this forecasting is just off.
  • Options
    Great job on the test.  As for me I've don't nothing but cough and sleep the last few days. I made it in to work today but still suffering.  I hope to do a ride this weekend maybe 2 if I feel better.