Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman CDA
Options

IMCDA Week 16

Anyone else starting to get antsy?  Wondering if you've done enough to reach your goals for this race?  Looking to lose those last 5-8lbs?  I'm loving that we are getting so close to race day, and have been trying to have very realistic talks with myself about race day goals...worrying about the inputs of swim form and stroke rate, consistent and targeted bike power, and steady running without stopping...instead of the time I want to do all them in:o)  In my mind, I'm a 6 hour bike guy; by power, it's likely closer to 6:30.  That's a bummer, but it is what it is ~ a reflection of my fitness, training, and weight.  

Anyhoo, I got a bit off topic there:o)  Did you know there are only 2 long runs left!!  Especially for the folks that did camp last weekend, believe this is your focus during the week ~ make sure you recover so that you can nail this workout!  Nothing like running 18 or so miles BEFORE work.

Have a great week all!

Comments

• Options
    ...and it appears bib numbers were posted about a week ago!!! I'm 1487!
  • Options
    Did camp week last Fri-Sunday, and took Mon and Tues off to recover. Running this morning I can tell I still have lots of fatigue! I'm also finding that I NEED sleep, no more getting away with 5-6 hrs. I really need to focus on swimming for the remainder of training, as that has been majorly lacking. We'll see how much power I can generate on the bike later today! I'm getting really excited!
  • Options

Long run logged 4am-630am today. After camp (15  mile run Monday), took Tuesday off, ran a 5.5mile yesterday but could not ride bike. Today I did not hit my target of 17 miles, pretty clearly though my mind was not totally in it. Lots going on a work, and my mind kept drifting away from focus on my pace. 

Long run outcome:

16miles in 2:29. Again good execution of my first 6 miles in 58 minutes (9:35 pace, ave HR ~140) but HR was slightly higher than last two runs at same pace, so I believe there is some fatigue baked into that. Second hour netted 7 miles (9:05 pace, ave HR ~159). That is when the wheels sorta fell off and I could not reach deeper to a better pace. Last 3 miles were in 8:36, 9:42, 9:18. Total elevation gain 860ft, or 83% of what will be seen at IMCDA. 

Will probably swim tonight and tomorrow, but tomorrow is my 40th birthday and my family is flying in from all over, so I doubt I will be able to get a 5 hour ride in Saturday. Maybe 2-3. 

Good job team.

DS

• Options
    Nicely done! My long run was 0.75 miles. Yep. EVERYTHING hurt. I hoped it would loosen up but not happening. Shins were the worst (off and on battle with shin splints for 10 years) but also knees, hips, SI, the works. No way was "pushing through" going to happen or be a good idea. I've reached out to Coach P to see if I should try again over the weekend or just let it be. Running is my strongest of the three, so not horribly worried about missing a long run, but I do actually really enjoy the long runs!

Happy Birthday 1 day early Doug! And Happy 1 month til race day to everyone else!
  • Options
    Doug - 4am; makes me a little ashamed at hard is was to get out of bed this morning at 5am. Way to get it in, especially after running long on Monday as well. And Happy Birthday ~ welcome to the 40 and over club!

Rachel - been there, done that. Sometimes it's best to just back off and take a breather.

Did 15 this morning in about 2:16 ~ looking to do another 4 or so this evening; first few miles will be a little tender for sure. Week has been going pretty well, and looking for some internal mojo to knock out a RR on Saturday as I was otherwise engaged last weekend. If I can on Sunday will likely ride up to Rainier gate on HWY 7...lots of nice hills through there. Have a great weekend!!

Mark
  • Options
    Keep plugging all.

My race simulation a couple weeks ago was fair. Ironman texas. ??

Feeling pretty good. Light weekend planned. Mtn biking with wife on John Wayne trail saturday. I did some great miles on this last fall on my cross bike. Great training. Remember to bring light for the Hyak tunnel.

Back to full gas by next weekend.
  • Options
    Completed Swim RR at lunch today in 1:06:47 ~ pretty happy about that considering the training in the last few days. Probably 3-4 minutes better than last year; think an increased focus on turnover and 100 speed have helped me out a bit.
  • Options
      race day let us swim draft behind mark !
  • Options
    Robin...You're no slouch in the water yourself...if you do draft, I can't promise a straight line:o)
  • Options
    1:09! That is fantastic. I will definitely hang back, keep your rear flank protected.
  • Options
    My birthday punched a nice big 3 day hole in my training, and added an unknown amount of weight gain. But also a healthy dose of perspective. Officially ready to close this project up in a month and enjoy the process. Then thinking of trying out the short courses round here for the summer.