Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP 13/7 - Race Specific Training Focus

Happy Monday      ................. 

Little slow on my end moving out of the bed this morning.  Made it through the swim slog and ready to get back on the horse for Week 13.

Al, put some really good thoughts down on Race Specific focused training entering into Week 13 on last week's thread in case anybody missed it.

The next 5 - 6 weeks is what separates the men from the boys..............now, where did I put my Big Boy pants?

Have a great week all!

SS

Comments

• Options

I'm still a day ahead of schedule (rest/travel day tomorrow), so I did the second swim, which is the same as what I did yesterday.

What a difference a day makes. On Saturday, I'd done my 300 min ride (having done the "Sunday ride" on Friday), and I was clearly fatigued. I was doing the 500s @ T+5sec, the 400s @ T+5, and the 300s @ T+6. Today, the exact same workout showed T+1, T+ 3, and T+2 - pretty much right on target. The 50s were the same (T- 11 sec on the "fast" ones, FWIW) each day, and the optional 100s both days were T-3 sec. So it looks my swim endurance, while coming around, has not yet caught up with my "speed".

Because SS mentioned, here's is what I wrote in last week's thread, to summarize where I currently see myself in my training progress:

I just completed what's probably my biggest month of training ever - which, since I go back to 1999 with an average of 2 IMs a year, is saying a lot. I view the training process as a series of cycles, each of which prepares me for the next cycle ("training to be able to train"), culminating with weeks 8 >> 3 before an IM, when the "real" training happens for the race - training which revolves around  the distance and effort levels in the race itself. The cycle we are about to enter.

To get ready for these critical 4-5 weeks, I have emphasized cycling to a greater extent than the past 5 years or so. I used to naturally get more cycling in, via commuting to work, and mountain biking for "fun". Both of those dropped out of my life starting the end of 2010. I could at least bring back the commuting by biking to the pool and the track, which I've been doing since early April. Also, I got a volume pop from the Tour of California. And I've brought my swimming up by adding in the "optional" work since coming back from ToC.

My Performance Management Chart numbers reflect this increased level of work: 4500 TSS the month of May, with the last six weeks going: 747, 888, 859, 1157 (ToC), 893, 1171. That means this past week, my TSS/day was higher than during ToC! I am so looking forward to Tuesday, which will be a travel day when I can finally get a rest.

I'll be in Colorado the month of June. In the past, when I've gone there, I have usually added a little extra credit biking. But this year, I intend to emphasize quality in each and every workout, following the EN IM plan pretty much to the letter. I suspect that will be hard enough, with the back-to-back long bikes being done at elevations 7000'-10,000', and the FTP days being done up hills in my neighborhood @ 8000-9000'.

My biggest problem has been trying to maintain my weight. I have the opposite problem of most people - it is almost impossible for me to keep my weight up at the 147# I;d like to see during training when I'm working at the level of 150 TSS/day. Then, in CO, it is normal to lose 2-3# (which represents some loss of body water). So paying attention to calories before and after workouts, and hydration during them, will be Job Two, right after hitting all the workout targets for volume and intensity.

Another thing I'm going to do differently is NOT adjust my FTP for the altitude. I already have it set at 212, instead of the 216-18 which my numbers indicate it should be. So I hope that, plus the 5% range in all workouts will be enough to get the proper training effect (meaning an IF of 0.95 for FTP workouts will be acceptable; 0.75 for race pace "plus", etc.). Same with VDOT. I have been training at intensity levels about 1-2 VDOT points higher than I tested at; at altitude, simply hitting my paces for my VDOT of 45.8 should be doable (EG, miles @ 7:24 instead of the 7:08 I've been doing them at.)

I'll revisit these goals over the next four weeks as I report on my progress. And, OK, NOW it is 8 weeks to go before the race!

• Options

@ Al - I hit about T-pace + 6-7 secs on all my intervals today https://www.strava.com/activities/316292765

Last 5 weeks TSS history for me on Solid FTP/vDots: (I give myself 1 TSS point for every minute swimming)

1091 (testing week last week)

Feeling that long run yesterday here

SS

• Options
    How do you get TSS for swimming and running? Or are those TSS numbers just your bike?
  • Options

Don,

Those TSS numbesr are for all three sports combined, S-B-R.

I use a "Old School" tool called WK0+.  Others use Training Peaks, Golden Cheetah, etc...

My run and my bike sessions upload directly into the tool from Garmin 910 or my Joule 2.0 and, using my FTP and vDOT the tool calculates each TSS score for me.  This specific tool requires you input your Z4 running pace (Threshold) for a baseline upon which to calculate. 

I manually enter my swims giving myself one TSS point for each minute I swam.

Key with this is to make sure you have accurate FTP and Running Threshold paces in the tool.

SS

• Options
    Guess I'll play the TSS game too. Here are mine from the past 5 wks:

Not the monster number of others but feel as though I am close to the edge fatigue wise. Feeling solid going into Quassy double weekend.
  • Options
    Happy swim recovery day today! Got in a solid pool hour, which is hard for me to normally do.

I've finally understand what Coach R talks about when he mentions "building gears" in the pool. At the start of the outseason I had one speed (real slow) but now I can dial it through a range of speeds and I've gained easily 0:10 sec/100 over what I was swimming before. I'm not going to medal in swimming anytime soon, but it's a solid improvement on my first year with the team and good to see. image
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/1286/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Steve West</a> on 01 Jun 2015 08:39 PM
    Guess I'll play the TSS game too. Here are mine from the past 5 wks:

Not the monster number of others but feel as though I am close to the edge fatigue wise. Feeling solid going into Quassy double weekend.
    Yeah, comparing TSS numbers is a dangerous game. More important than the absolute number is the rate of rise. Too slow and you don't get ready enough by race day. Too rapid, and you burn out or peak too soon. The sweet spot may be 5-8 TSS per week average increase, but, really, it's quite individual. No one ever won a race or set a PR based sole.y on TSS numbers.
  • Options

Well after a week of being sick I'm just happy to work out.  I did cough a couple time with my head in the water so I'm hoping I feel decent tomorrow.  My TSS last week was so close to zero it isn't funny. 

1:30 in the pool and 3200M.  A good workout for me and I'm gaining some speed and endurance.  I've realized that I need to push more in the pool and part of this is actually doing a 1000M test.  I might try to do this on Friday but I need to look at the schedule.

• Options
    Hey everyone- quick interruption from your favorite Marketing Director here.....

The IMLP 4Keys events have been created - Here - http://the4keysoflakeplacid2015.splashthat.com

AND

IMLP Thank Goodness I'm NOT Racing event here - https://endurancenation.wufoo.com/forms/tginr-lake-placid-2015-rsvp/

BOTH of these events are on our Facebook pages- PLEASE do me a huge favor and share them, invite your friends and post to the Lake Placid groups to invite newbies.

If you're not on Facebook- share the link with your friends via email or tell them about it on a training ride or run

Lets grow the EN LP Party!! If you guys need anything from me, don't hesitate to reach out to myself or your awesome race captain Shaughn
  • Options

Seeing all this talk about TSS makes me feel like I missed several 101 classes on triathlon training.    My Garmin automatically uploads to TP but I don't really use it measuring progress or fatigue.  Is there a primer on setting up TP to track TSS and explain what it means, good vs not so good numbers and ideal targets?  I just try to follow 95% of the training plan. 

• Options
    Thanks Steve...time to get smart.
  • Options
    It's been over a week since I've posted. My last wko was on Memorial day. Finished a 60', Z3 ABP ride at 4:30 pm and started having the chills at around 8:30 that night. It only got worse through the night and the next day. Stomach flu/norovirus knocked me out for the week. BRAT diet with Gatorade mainly pulling me through. I lost 5 lbs by the second day and was down 7 yesterday.

Tomorrow I will get in a short run or bike wko. It's time to hit the drawing board and re-map this year's schedule.
  • Options

@Phil - very frustrating to fight the stomach bug.   All that work you have done will be right back in a few short days once you get rested sufficiently.

All,

Next weekend, as you know, is CAMP.  Will be our first RR for this cycle.  Start thinking about how you are going to execute your race rehearsal.  Share your plan, pacing, nutrition as much as you would like with this team in either this week's thread or next.  We are so lucky to have so many KONA vets in this group that putting your plan out there and getting feedback would be invaluable.  Take advantage of it.

Kicked myself out the door yesterday evening and forced a durability run in heat and hills (was not pretty after the weekend vol/fatigue).  Felt better this morning and logged two hours of hard work on the trainer but, had issues with my PM and had to revert to HR for half of the work.  Got in 12' Z3, 50' Z4, 15' Z5 (1.1+) and 10' of Z2.

On both the Z4 and Z5 stuff I employed low cadence high torque to attempt simulating hills which look to be starting around mile 32 of the IMLP course.

Hope to run again this evening.

SS

• Options
    @Phil.... Like I told Brad better now than later... Hopefully it runs its course fast!

@SS... Looking forward to the feedback from the CAMP... I wait to do my Race Plan till after June 28-29 when I get a chance to train on the course first hand!

50 degrees for a high today in NH, Rain for the last 2 days has kept me inside... Swim yesterday, reduced my FTP/Run work today on a trainer/TM just a little in prep for Quassy weekend coming up... Was planning a OWS tomorrow but going to Masters instead then to the Track...
  • Options

Coach P requesting the following for all IMLP campers:

SS

• Options
    Retest on my 5k test tonight - much better. Last week my head was all over the place and my pacing was lousy. Tonight I ran nice negative splits -0:11 first mile, -0:32 second mile and overall felt good. Lowered by projected 1/2 mara time by 6 mins and increased vDOT to 38. I had knee surgery a few years ago and I still have some residual problems that take away from my run efficiency.

Interested in the TSS discussion. The best piece I've seen on the relationship between TSS. IF, and Ironman competition is here from Joe Friel:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/how-to-cheat-by-using-a-power-meter-in-an-ironman

It includes a chart that projects the optimal bike TSS to set up a good run (hence my question about using BestBikeSplit to estimate the optimum bike leg)

Happy to see all the data about the upcoming camp. I'll be up in the area while camp is going on and the tips will be useful as I try to do all that stuff too! Keep it cranking!!
  • Options
    Hi All,

I'm Dan - new to the team this year and first time posting and first time ironman. Did a sprint 3 years ago, an olympic 2 years ago, and HIM last year. Natural progression I guess. Different ballgame now though.

Had an encouraging 2 mile swim in open water over the weekend. Missed my long bike this weekend due to a flat and inability to reschedule. Letting it go and focusing on the 300' bike coming up this weekend and ticking the boxes on all the workouts.

The Thursday run will work out to almost 14 miles this week for me. I'm blown away by how much work it is possible to get done in a week and not have my body break down. Every week is higher hours and TSS than I've ever done which is pretty cool!

I plan to post more going forward.

Thank you all for your posts - they are incredibly valuable and informative.

All the talk about TSS makes me wish I had a power meter, but for the first go around HRM will have to suffice.
  • Options
    @ Dan - welcome to the Team. Posting and engaging online is one of the best ways to learn and grow. Poke around the site, especially the wiki, tons of stuff there but don't let it intimidate you.

Midweek update: Mondays swim started great. Had planned on a double race reheasal swim sets of 2200 and 1800 leading into Quassy instead of the planned wko. First 2200 went fine as expected holding 1:40's end to end. Second set was hard from the start, likely fatige from the weekend. By 600 yds I was off pace by several seconds and my form was crap so I stopped to rest expecting to do another 2x600 to finish the 1800 planned. Had to pull the plug by 300 yards because it just wasn't working. This was the same wko I did last Monday and was able to hold form and pace thru both the 2200 & 1800. No point in swimming if my form is crap and can't hold pace.

Tuesday should have been a bike run brick (from HIM taper week) but that never happened. I've been so scatter-brained this week trying to prep and pack - none of which was working, that I just couldn't muster the mojo to do any work. When I have things that need doing and I can't get them done I get immobilized by them. It prevents me from doing other things because my mind is elsewhere. So last night instead of working out I sat down and made some lists and constructed a timeline beginning with wake up Friday morning all the way to my return trip on Sunday. Sort of an outline of my race plans.

Today after work I will do a 50' tempo bike followed by a 45' brick run.

Thursday will be an EP run and packing day.

Friday is travel - 6 hours to Quassy, quick swim to see if a sleeveless wetsuit will be good enough. Then register and my bike into transition.

• Options

Posted By Stuart Schwark on 02 Jun 2015 08:06 PM

...Interested in the TSS discussion. The best piece I've seen on the relationship between TSS. IF, and Ironman competition is here from Joe Friel:

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/how-to-cheat-by-using-a-power-meter-in-an-ironman

It includes a chart that projects the optimal bike TSS to set up a good run (hence my question about using BestBikeSplit to estimate the optimum bike leg)...

Ummm ... I believe that table was created in conjunction with EN in 2007/8. It can be found in the Race Execution section of the wiki. Under Resources take above >> Racing Member Central >> Race Execution Details >> Master Race Execution Pages >> 2/3rds down, Add'l Bike execution resources >> Webinar: Half and Full Bike Execution, the PDF in that packet. In the "Power Webinar", just below that, there are a great number of resources and learning tools regarding the use of power for bike training and racing specific to IM. In that is something called IM Bike Execution v 1.1, a 10 page article which details a lot of EN;s early thinking on this. That Power Webinar costs $59? but is worth every penny and more.

Of more significance than the table itself is the wealth of race execution information contained in the links sent to us by Brenda in her monthly emails. While Friel includes a paragraph with that chart talking about bike execution, EN has much more detailed recommendations on how to approach the day. EG: Friel has little to nothing to say about VI; EN strategy emphasizes the value of minimizing power variability on the bike, and how to do that.

Everyone in EN racing an IM should review that Master Race Execution Page in the Wiki and its links in the time frame 6>>4 weeks before the race, even for those of us who have done a lot of IMs. Over half of the value of EN for IM athletes, IMO comes from the wealth of knowledge and experience here about race execution planning and strategy.

The downside of something like Best Bike Split is that it can not replace game day management for the always unpredictable and constantly changing conditions which one will find on race day. I contend there is no algorithm which is better than a smart racer applying principles which have been practiced over and over during training.

• Options
    @Al - great thoughts. Appreciate your insight and perspective! I'm still pretty new to EN and the more I look around the more stuff I find - perhaps one of the challenges of being new is finding out where to look?

Midweek bike was a mixed bag: supposed to be a 2 x 15(5) @Z4, with optional 3 x 5(3) @Z5. I warmed up slowly but just couldn't keep the watts consistent on the 15s. I got in a 75min session that wasn't easy, so I ain't beating myself up -  had watched a couple of invaluable vids and podcasts from Coach P: "why your FTP watts may drop" and "your workouts are NOT your Ironman". Both were excellent to get my head in the right place for today.
  • Options

SS mid week update:

Hanging on and digging in while having fun watching you guys get it done each day and trying to keep up with you!

Completed a couple of swims, one Hell bike and some runs.  Felt fatigued on Monday and slogged my way through those workouts but better on Tuesday.

Yesterday did some interval work on the TM at 1% using a big fan and gave myself a break from the Mon/Tues heat to get in some quality Z4 work:  https://www.strava.com/activities/317450917  Feeling that this morning

Al gives great guidance on the TSS information contained within EN.  If you look at the Friel article, note that both guys smartly came in on the Bike leg at about 285ish TSS......  Now look at the below EN chart found in the Power Racing kit from EN and follow the Diagonal green section through the chart.   285 is about the most you can rack up and still execute a quality run.  If you are training with power, learn to dial this in during your RR.  Follow the veterans and note how they train at a couple of ticks higher than this while pulling it back to these parameters on race day.

• Options
    Is there an expanded version of this chart that shows slower bike splits?
    i think I might be between 6:30 and 6:45 - it would be nice to see where the green and grey blocks fall for that range
  • Options

Posted By Don Nowak on 04 Jun 2015 10:01 AM

Is there an expanded version of this chart that shows slower bike splits?

i think I might be between 6:30 and 6:45 - it would be nice to see where the green and grey blocks fall for that range

Don, in that case I would be targeting a .65 - .66 IF (using an accurate FTP baseline) during RR1 at camp and see what that gives you....from there you can dial it in.

SS

• Options
    @Don, Since TSS is calculated with TIME and Intensity at some point on the time scale it becomes impossible to keep the TSS under a certain number to complete the course....As you can see in the chart going over 6.5 hrs, at .67 , would put you over 300TSS...... In this case , one must use the IF in which they can , IF.65 as SS suggests is a good place to start, in order to complete the course..... LET the TSS fall where it may.... Pretty sure this is covered in the Wiki Race Execution...

Also keep in mind with all this discussion on PMC, TSS , execution , its all very individual and guidelines only.... Coach P rode IMTX to 2nd in AG with a TSS of 220 and an IF of .76..... I rode IMTX to a 2nd AG with a TSS of 300 and IF of .76...... Two totally different animals...
  • Options
    @ SS & Tim - Thanks for the encouragement.

My stomach has almost settled down enough to get back to work.

Two short runs, yesterday for 3 mi and today for 2.6 mi to see how the foot is doing. Yesterday's run well with no pain. Today had a hint of something, so I cut it short and added walk breaks to get back. It's the most running I've done in a month, so at least I'm headed in the right direction.

Bike trainer tomorrow morning. I have some shiny new tri shoes to test out.
  • Options
    Had to mix it up a little - it was pouring rain all day, so I migrated to a long swim. Felt good about that - 3K straight in the pool at my expected RR pace. My catch and pull are getting much stronger and the body rotation through the hips pushes me along nicely so all I have to do with my legs is a gentle kick at the end to keep them in the slipstream. I'm not gonna be Michael Phelps but I've dropped real time of my swim splits from the outseason (and the previous years) - win!
  • Options

I got in an second swim this week after Monday restart was too soon for my cough.  3100M today with 3000 straight.  A little short of the prescribed workout.  The time is right on pace to meet my last IM swim.  So I have the remaining weeks to get faster.  I need to sit down and put some thought in to the plan and what is achievable.

• Options
    Did 3500m tonight...longest swim ever by 500m. Getting close to are distance!
  • Options
    It's very motivating seeing all the work going on in here...it's keeping me on track. Quick recap of my week.
    I was dragging Monday...I enjoyed the recovery day and did a Z1 recovery run. Tuesday I was back to my normal state of fatigue and knocked out 3x1 mile intervals and a swim. Had a great bike interval wko Wednesday and morning swim. Since it was raining allll day Thursday, I decided to flip Thurs and Friday workouts. Completed my longest ever pool swim. Had zero motivation to do it but by 800 yds, I was feeling good. I learned I need to get more comfortable with weak side breathing. This was a great confidence booster. Friday I had a solid long run. Saturday is a forced rest day because I'll be out of town and Sunday I'll do Saturdays run and 5hr bike.