Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Biological Passport, EPO Micro Dosing, and the BBC

Think sports are clean? Think again.

Very much like the Outside Magazine article from ~'03-04 but with EPO only. 

Comments

• Options
    this is a very insightful article. The question is, outside of pro racing, what is being done about this at WTC and other "amateur" events.
    it would suck to be a guy like you, Coach P, Cronk, Tallo, Teri C & the many other fine people out there that are at the pointy end but in 2nd-5th on the podium instead of first because some tool took EPO...
  • Options
    So all I need to do is find Tatiana and have her send me a "box of mobile phones" huh... I'm kidding!! kind of.. NO I am Kidding!!

It was a great read. Not surprising. Watching the Giro I don't know how they rode stage 20 the way they did. Not human.
  • Options
    This actually left me a bit depressed..the competitive nature, and erosion of values such as fair play, even on the amateur side, will unfortunately not only affect those who don't cheat and get beaten by cheaters, but will also possibly create a suspicious view on those who have fairly worked extremely hard to achieve pointy end results.

While I could accept minimal bans for some other substances on the WADA list that could trigger an issue (aspirin?); something that is clearly and knowingly used to create a performance enhancement should immediately trigger a lifetime ban across all spectrums of competitive events, pro and amateur alike.
  • Options

I think that testosterone and other stuff that can be double as anti-aging / performance enhancement is, intuitively, the larger issue for AG'ers. Going to a doc to get a cream is a much smaller step than finding Ivan on the net to get a box of "mobile phones" and then injecting yourself several times per week.

Too bad I'm not involved at all in the SoCal masters road racing scene because I can only imagine the things I'd hear about and see. 

• Options
    It isn't just in endurance sports, I know of Firemen at the local fire stations that lift weights during their spare time and are skin popping steroids. Fortunately, it is easy to know that I am clean by just checking my race results. image
  • Options
    I KNOW pro sport is as dirty as it gets. And AG triathlon is probably pretty dirty at the top. I do what I can and don't worry about it anymore.
  • Options

Posted By Coach Rich on 04 Jun 2015 02:55 PM

I think that testosterone and other stuff that can be double as anti-aging / performance enhancement is, intuitively, the larger issue for AG'ers. Going to a doc to get a cream is a much smaller step than finding Ivan on the net to get a box of "mobile phones" and then injecting yourself several times per week.

I think this is the real issue.  My old man is an MD in the beauty business.  He rubs elbows with all the anti-aging guys.  Their whole, entire practice is getting guys in the their 40's and 50's on programs of testosterone, human growth hormone and various steroids.  All of this is done in the name "restoring quality of life", "adding longevity", "increasing vitality".  Apparently, "it's about lifestyle".

Many are focused on body image and sexual performance, but it turns out to increase performance across the board.

This will have a huge impact on the AG peloton as these "therapies" increase in use.

For the Doctors, they believe they are using modern medicine to "turn back the clock".  And isn't that a good thing?  YMMV.

• Options

I give EPO to people all the time. People with kidney failure and on chemo. People who legitimately need these drugs to live. Period. As usual there will be a large amount of rotten apples in the barrel who will ruin it for everyone. All for their vanity and personal gain. Sad!

• Options

Check this out:

What are the odds of the third brother getting popped?

Parents must be very proud...

• Options
    His results since 2011 have already been washed off athlinks

http://www.athlinks.com/Athletes/101454571
  • Options
    Glad to see it. On the one hand, the number of age groupers getting popped seems to have really increased the last couple of years. On the other hand, I doubt most folks are even aware of these bans. I am convinced that the cheating is widespread for the reasons Dino mentioned above, and a lot of athletes don't even perceive they are cheating. But at the pointy end, the people seeking T, EPO and similar know precisely what they are doing.