Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP 14/6 - Calling all Campers

Welcome to CAMP week peeps!

Looking forward to reading those RR1 plans soon!  Kristin has already posted a great one!

SS

Comments

• Options
    SOOOO bummed I won't be there. Was planning to come out and get some good volume in but....well ya need a bike for that. :-)
    Have an AWESOME weekend, everyone, and I will be sending all of my energy and smiles to you while you're out there getting those big training days in! Hopefully catch you guys the next time!
  • Options
    @Kori - Sorry you won't be there...it would have been great to have you there image

Can't wait to get there myself. I am arriving at noon in Albany - should be to the hotel by 2:30.
    I plan to swim the course after checking in.
  • Options

SS IMLP CAMP details:

Thursday - arrive in Burlington VT at 11:30 - arrive in LP at ~3:00 p.m. check in, assemble bike - swim at 4:30 p.m., meet all at 6:00.

Friday - 2 loops w/ team on IMLP bike course, no injuries, no one gets left behind.

BIKE - 13 year old Lite Speed Saber dinosaur custom built, 808 on front, PT and cover on back, aero helmet, bike shoes, jacket, bike pump, 11 - 27 10 speed cassette, camel back, two gas cartridges, tire levers, one lasik tube, patches.

Bike fueling - Power bar power gel 1X caf at :10 on the hour and 1/2 power bar at :40 on the hour.  Drink 10 - 12 ounces every :15 of full strength Gatorade Endurance (pee when necessary on the bike)

Bike Pacing - targeting a .74 IF and a ceiling HR of 140.  10-15% harder on the ascents to leave room for the descents. 

Decents target power = 213 watts and soft pedal at ~30+ mph

Overall Target Power ~224 (285 - 290 TSS)

Ascents target Power - 235 watts long hills, 247 watts short hills

Run Fueling - 10 ounces 2/3 strength Gatorade Endurance every two miles(one salt tab)

Run Pacing - EP + 30" first three miles (~9:45)  then 8:30 or better last 3 miles  (no Clif Shot bloks first 6 miles)  Observe HR and do not exceed 150 bpm.

Saturday - repeat bike routine as able

Sunday - Run 13 - 17 miles as able.  6 miles at ~9:15 ish (130 - 132HR), 7 miles at 140 - 150 HR, then final push

Run Fueling: 12 ounces 2/3 strength Gatorade Endurance every two miles.  Upon mile 7ish, 1 Clif Shot Blok 1X Caf every two miles.(Salt tabs)

Sunday Noon - Leave for airport

All comments, guidance, thoughts, criticisms welcome.

SS

• Options
    Hey SS, are you going to bring those CO2'S on a plane?
  • Options

Whoops, Doug is right, the pressure of the altitude could cause some problems.......

Thanks for looking out for me(us) Doug.........will pick some of those up in Placid!

SS

• Options
    Just wondering. I don't fly much and don't know all the rules.

Have fun in LP team! That's an awesome camp and Coach P will have you ready to destroy that course by the end of the weekend!
  • Options
    I am going to start the drive on either Wednesday or Thursday. I hope to get a swim in on Thursday before camp opens. 10 hour drive. VERY excited to be attending camp. First full distance event, first training camp, first time meeting some of The Nation in person. It's all up side. All I have to do now is get there safe, ride safe, and get home safe. Still working on my plan - more to follow.
  • Options
    So what's the deal with CO2 cartridges?
    Obviously not in a carryon, but are they ok in a checked bike bag?
  • Options

Posted By <a href='http://members.endurancenation.us/ActivityFeed/tabid/61/userid/4347/Default.aspx' class='af-profile-link'>Don Nowak</a> on 08 Jun 2015 02:30 PM
    So what's the deal with CO2 cartridges?
    Obviously not in a carryon, but are they ok in a checked bike bag?
    ABSOLUTELY NOT!!!! Google Value Jet crash, and the TSA website.
  • Options
    I don't have to Google it...I remember that one well.
    I wasn't about to do it...I was just curious.
    It certainly did not seem right to do and I've read to not do it.
  • Options
    I need a little help and can't find it in the search engine. I downloaded the files for the IMLP bike and run course that Patrick sent us in the email, but can't figure out how to get it into my 910xt. I can't even get it into Garmin Connect. The Garmin Connect page bears no resemblance to the manual, and I'm pulling my hair out. I can just print it out, but I hate riding a course with paper in my hand. Anyone know how to get turn by turn directions into the 910xt? I could also charge up the old 310xt if I need to.
  • Options
    Sorry Neill, you are out of luck. I looked in the FAQ and you cannot import a route into Garmin Connect. You have to build it on the course function and then you can send it to your device. I had the same struggle. Very disappointing.
  • Options

Agree with William that there is really no EZ way to get the 910XT (which is what I have) map your ride.

Here's what I am doing:

1)    Printing out the map and turn by turn instructions and putting them in a large Zip lock.

2)    Set up a new(free) account on Map My Ride, download the IMLP bike course then I put the app on my iphone.  Because it is a work phone, I'm not concerned about data usage.  I now have turn by turn instructions using the iphone with this app.

I was fatigued waking up Monday morning.  Got on the TM at lunch with a big fan and did 15' @ 3.5% grade for my MS.  Took my 14 year old with me to the pool at 5 pm and got in 1000 WU, 8X150, 10X100.........looking for Z4 intervals on the TM again at lunch today.

I read my flight schedule incorrectly for Thursday and will not be able to make the swim work.  Hoping to meet all you animals at 6 pm!

Have a great week and send over those RR1 plans soon!

SS

• Options
    Thanks, William and Shaughn. I have a Mapmyride account I have never used, so I'll figure that out tonight and also put the paper in a ziplock.

@Don Nowak: I've been thinking about your question on the TSS chart and I am in the same situation. If I slow it down too much, the time will overtake my TSS and I'll be well into the yellow zone. If I speed it up too much, I'm likely to be in the red zone. It's a problem of threading the needle in execution, and that's a good reason to go to camp, so we can figure out the best execution plan. Also, to push the metaphor a bit, we need to make that needle eye as big as possible. The yellow category says, "You better be massively prepared for your run." That's sounds like good advice even if we manage to land in the green zone, so I am really focusing on boosting my Vdot with those mile repeats and getting every bit of volume I can with those Thursday runs and focusing hard on that last 20' surge. Also, the closer I get to 125 lbs., (I'm 5'7") the easier my run and bike will be. I was looking over my notes since 2010 and see that I started at 165 lbs. and a Vdot of 36.5. I'm now at 135 and a Vdot of 45+, expecting 46 in my next test. I'm a little stronger, but most of that Vdot gain has come from the weight loss, I think, and I still have some pudge around the waist.

My swim is not great, but the gains I get from 4 hours a week in the pool are getting pretty marginal. My swim time will be what it is, but I've done the full distance enough in workouts that I don't think it will intimidate me looking out at those buoys (the way I felt when I did my first open water mile+ swim.) So, if I have to miss a Saturday or Sunday because of family obligations, and have limited time on Monday, I'm going to skip the Monday swim and go back in the schedule to catch a big bike ride. And I'm going to never miss that FTP Wednesday ride, and always add the optional VO2 max intervals. I had originally thought I could get to a 3 to 1 Watts/Kg at 60 kg and 180 FTP. That 180 has been elusive, but I'm closing in on 175 and now determined to get my weight down to 57 kg (125 lbs.) That's lighter than I have been since I was in my twenties (I'm 56), but it's turned out to be more likely than getting my FTP up to 180.
  • Options

I plan on heading up Thursday morning with my camper!  First stop will be Placid Planet for some bike adjustments then to Mirror Lake to swim 2 loops. Should be fun!

K2

• Options
    @ ALL Campers, have fun, be safe, train hard , and give lots of feedback !

Took a Zero day yesterday after the bigweek end of Racing.... Pancakes, walk, nap..... Today was SBR all recovery EASY.... Tomorrow back to work !
  • Options

Posted By Neill Morgan on 09 Jun 2015 09:06 AM

...I had originally thought I could get to a 3 to 1 Watts/Kg at 60 kg and 180 FTP. That 180 has been elusive, but I'm closing in on 175 and now determined to get my weight down to 57 kg (125 lbs.) That's lighter than I have been since I was in my twenties (I'm 56), but it's turned out to be more likely than getting my FTP up to 180.

(I assume you mean 3.1 w/kg). Being a leaner, older guy myself (I'm happy @ 66 kg, with my height shrinking in recent years from 70.5 to 68.5"), I get really worried about trying to lose weight. During IM training builds, I have to work very hard all day every day to get enough food just to keep my weight up. Reason being, I know that if I get too lean, the loss of lean body mass (muscle) starts to reduce my racing effectiveness, e.g. my FTP will drop; even my endurance is affected.

For me, the better strategy is to try and replace all the calories I burn up, and let my weight be what it is. If we were just running a marathon, consciously dropping weight from an already lean frame might make some sense. It is probably harmful to our swimming and cycling, I think. For the same reason, weight training, even if it's just body weight exercises, is mandatory for us OFs. Left unattended, the over-55 body will shed muscle unless it is actively stimulated not to. Endurance training doesn't really help a lot with that.

• Options
    Good 5M run today at steady Z3 pace; it felt easy. Tomorrow is a trainer session then pack and out early for Wilmington, NY (just down the street from Lake Placid). I'll be down at the North Pole Inn while you folks are camping - time to get in that "volume pop" that Coach P talks about. Looking forward to scoping it all out!

Everyone be safe traveling - Happy trails!!
  • Options

Nice work Stu!

Happy B-day Derrek!  looking forward to some cake Friday night!.............and maybe a beer

Don posted a great RR1 plan.....all should take a look and give feedback if you have the time!

4,000M swim for me yesterday evening...........Took a bath in the humidity this morning for a 5 mile run....legs were barking, 6th day in a row of running........Interval bike later today then packing!

Safe travels all!

SS

• Options

@ Steve, Tim, Kori, Doug and Al,

We are going deeply miss you guys, your veteran knowledge and your energy at CAMP!  We will try to hold it together and give daily feedback along the way in this forum.

KMF!

SS

• Options

I second that!  I was really looking forward to meeting and hanging with them!  

Shaughn...you da man now!!!

• Options

@SS - Thanks!  We'll have to save the cake/beer until IMLP week.  Unfortunately, I'm not able to attend the Camp. 

Sounds like it's going to be an epic weekend.  I'll be doing my "camp week" locally next Thursday-Sunday.  Looking forward to reading all the reports.  Have fun.

• Options
    Race rehearsal plan posted, finally: http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/18882/Default.aspx

It's a beautiful day here in Lake Placid. Can't wait to see you all.
  • Options

Have a great camp to everyone who is going.

I've got in 3350M and the FTP bike ride in this week.  I'll probably only get two swims in this week but I'll see what I can fit in.

• Options
    Thanks guys. I'll be at LP next month race weekend cheering you on! SS is one of the best leaders on the team. Follow his example and you all will have an awesome weekend of training!
  • Options
    First day report... and I'm out...

The good: got in very close to a first lap and felt really good. The climbs weren't as much of a shock to the system as 2014 CDA.

The bad: coming back into town by the golf course I was right on the lip of the edge. Was racking a bottle and lost control of my front wheel, Went into the ditch at speed. My front fork is destroyed and bike may be too.

The ugly: spent the next 2 hours in the ER.The Placid ER team is great! Have a broken R thumb and bad shoulder separation on L. I have the most amazing road rash all over to go with it. Think tonight will be interesting.

Hope all had a great training day. The conditions were great - good temps, overcast, no high winds! Win!! I saw several of you as I was headed back to the hotel... the team looked strong!!

I'm headed back to Virginia tomorrow to see my ortho on Monday but hope to see everyone off at the parking lot tomorrow morning!!

• Options
    Stuart...NOOOOOO! I just saw this and didn't know that you were even in town...total bummer. If there's anything we can do please let us know!!!! My cell is (617) 513-3830 Cell Phone (EST Time)...we'll be at the Pub tonight at 7:30 if Beer helps... image
  • Options

Camp weekend recap. So, I was in LP for the camp weekend. I was on my own, but EN'rs really don't leave members alone. I had a great weekend and was able to meet up with team members from last year and members I have met this year.I got into LP on Thursday afternoon. Filled up my bottles and headed out for a ride on the course.  It was a classic windy day so the ride was  very race like. The ride went well and I pushed a bit too hard. However, I knew I only had time for one loop so I really planned to do that. Hopped off the bike and ran a tempo brick. When I finished the run, I headed to the Lake. As I was getting ready to swim, Coach P emerged from the lake. I had a quick and inspiring conversation with him and to my surprise, Shaughn Simmons emerged from the lake too. It was really great to finally meet him in person. I ate dinner Thursday night with Shaughn Simmons. It never surprises me how smart the EN peeps are.  On Friday, I finish one of my 112 rides and saw Teammate John Bayone running. It was a great boost for me. That was my third ride of the weekend and my motivation for the run was failing. John came by at just the right time and I was able to get in a quick brick. By the end of my short run, I was pumped up and felt like I could have easily turned it into a long run. Saturday I went out for one more full course ride. However, This time I was armed with a bunch of EN knowledge. I adjusted my nutrition plan with suggestions from Shaughn. I increased my calories and added a couple of caffeine gels. On Friday,  Loop one was 15 watts higher than loop two with a 1 mph decrease. On Saturday (to be referred to as SS Saturday hence forth), my watts were identical for both loops. Two things were different. My nutrition and I had Shaughn to chase. SS pulled me along for loop 2. At the end of the ride, I felt really full of energy. My legs were still strong and I could have run. Having SS on the course made it very much like race day. My inspiration level rocket and I was determined not to let him get away from me. So, What I have learned:

I definitely need more than 400 calories per hour. Caffeine is Good! Finally having that one thing can push you along.

• Options

HUGE week for all who made it to camp!

@Stu - need an update, how are you?  I sincerely hope the healing is taking place at light speed paces!

@Ed - you are just an animal.  I had a great second day biking with you!  You have built a great engine and I really needed that last pull you gave me!  I had burned all my matches by mile 100!  Very strong man!

I just had an awesome time getting to know a lot of strong, cool, unique and great people.  Even more excited now about racing come July!

All did really well, worked hard, no injuries and we learned a ton about the course along the way!

On to week 15!!

SS