Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Road/route guidance New Orleans to Charleston

Wondering if any locals can provide road/route insight concerning my imminent cycle tour. We tend to plan out a few different route options and then adapt and overcome the hand dealt to us on the ride (winds, road conditions, weather, elevation gain, etc). Details are listed below.

SP is New Orleans.
EP is Charleston.
Will enter Charleston via Savannah.
Considering Mobile/Tallahassee/Jacksonville/Savannah, Mobile/Tallahassee/Valdosta/Savannah, and Mobile/Dothan/Albany/Savannah.
Trip duration is 9 days.
Fight out of charleston is 3 July.

Comments

• Options

Almost any route from NOLA to Mobile would probably have to include Highway 90 for a good portion of the route.  I have never made this ride, but you would likely be pretty exposed to the sun (no shade) and any wind present.  There was a relay race from New Orleans to Pensacola a couple years back (Gulf Coast Interstate Relay).   Looks like the website is dead, but I may have downloaded the race manual (and maps) on my work computer.  I will check tomorrow and let you know.  Depending on where you are staying in NOLA there are a couple of different routes to get you to Highway 90 and some decent sized group rides that leave for out and back routes on the weekend.  

Good luck on the trip.

• Options

David,

I found the handbook from the cycling relay a couple of years ago.  It's almost too detailed of a map with a single page every 5 -10 miles, but the file is too large for me to post here in the forums.  I have tried to extract a single page from the file, but I can't post certain file types (.pdf or .png) on the forums either.  I'll try to send you a PM.  

• Options
    Kane - if you have a dropbox account or you use Google Drive, you could upload there and then share the file.....just a thought.
  • Options

Thanks Joe.  I'm not too tech savvy, but I have tried the Google Drive thing.  Let me know if this works.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4S-DtrBdJ-1VHlWSkRmeXluS2FkVkxIcjA3ajZTR3hGSFZB/view?usp=sharing

• Options
    Appears to work for me....I see 102 pages.

David - can you access?