Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

Week 15 Training Thread

Camp week is here!  Logistics-wise this week can be a real challenge.  The fun really starts on Thursday with your RR swim, followed by long rides friday and saturday and then a long run on sunday.  I encourage you to watch the video and also post in coach P's micro thread for how rearrange the week to fit in with you schedule.  I plan on customizing a bit.  I'm headed to western NY next saturday so i will move camp week to the following week and probably do it mid week.  Hope everyone's training is going well and as i always say, take that day or two of rest if you need it.  The training load is high from here on out so play it smart when in doubt.  

Comments

• Options

Yesterday i was massively underpowered on the bike during my Z4 intervals.  They were more like Z3 than Z4.  I tried running later in the day and go 2/3 of the way through and called it quits.  Made the decision to get to bed early last night then sleep as much as i possibly could this morning.  I ended up logging just over 9 hours of sleep.  After work today i did an easy 1.5mile run to the pool, banged out 1100yds and then ran back home.  The plan is to get to bed early tonight and then up early for an open water swim.  The reason for my post is just to illustrate that fine line we are all walking for the next 4 weeks or so.  It's very easy to over do it and looking back I probably should have taken monday or tuesday off and not waited until wednesday.  Oh well....Lesson learned!

• Options
    Well, I had planned for camp week this past weekend but another camp ended up getting in the way. I ended up spending the entire week at Scout Camp with my son. I had planned to be there only Sun-Tue. Anyway I got a few runs in while there but did not get back until Sat afternoon. Did a 3hr ABP ride today. I will plan to start camp "week" on Friday this week. Think I will basically follow last week's schedule this week and then skip ahead for the week after that and get back on schedule. That sound reasonable?

Thanks!
    Erik
  • Options
    Just walked in the door after an 8 hour drive back to Nebraska from Boulder. Had an awesome four days in Boulder for camp week!  I was able to get on the course on Friday and Saturday. First impressions were it is going to be fun on race day! Traffic was a little crazy but from my couple of visits to Boulder I think that is the norm but on race day I hope we won't have to deal with that. Friday I was a little under my watt goal but I was fine with that. I am going to change the hydration a bit as I was a little depleted coming off of the bike maybe the altitude got to me a bit more than I had planned. My biggest question as a newbie to the course is, is it me or is the section of Nelson Rd to highway 34 really slow? Every lap on this section my watts spiked and it seemed like I was barely moving. I did stay in the EN box and I was able to keep my watts in check but it was hard to do as it seemed like I was pulling a plow. Not sure if it is the surface or a special force field resonating from the mountain or I just inhaled too much 2nd hand smoke while on Pearl St. Long ride on Saturday followed by a brick run and then a long run on Sunday went as planned. The long drive back wasn't pleasant but I took the day off tomorrow to rest and absorb all the goodness from the weekend. Still have some more dialing in on my nutrition but being able to ride in Boulder really makes me feel a lot better about the race in four weeks. Hope everyone's weekend went well also!
  • Options

@Damon - Congrats on completing camp week, and doing it on the course is a huge bonus.  The section on Nelson road is a grind.  It's not you and it's some spiritual vortex emanating from the foothills (Not the pot either).  One suggestion for this section and really across the course is to display % grade on your garmin or whatever head unit you are using.  Oftentimes on this course you may think you are going uphill or downhill, but the % grade will tell you differently.  In that way you can sit back and chill when going truly uphill and you can be on the gas when you're descending even if it feels like you are pedaling uphill. 

Very little of the course will be closed to traffic during the race.  Of course the police will be directing traffic at key intersections, but you should expect to share the road with cars.  Expect the following - the first loop of the course traffic will be pretty light and shouldn't be too much trouble.  It will be relatively early on a sunday morning.  However, the second lap will have MUCH more traffic and there will be more racers on the course.  I know for the 70.3 I was having to pass some of the traffic on their left because there was simply no room to pass on the right between traffic and other riders.  Very good point about traffic and something to consider and be ready for on race day. Congrats again and now go crush your rest day!

• Options
    I've been having a tough time staying on top of my game. Too many hours at work... some delayed recovery from IMTX and a general not wanting to train as much has really had an affect on me. My run and swim are pretty bad right now... but my bike seems to be OK.

I've been working through a modified camp... did 109 mile ride with a 4 miler off the bike (legs were dead!) on Saturday and followed up yesterday with an 80 mile ride. I have a couple days off so I'm going to try to take advantage.Tonight I'm swimming open water and running after... and tomorrow I'm doing a long run. Then a day of rest and back on plan through Boulder.

Mark... Thanks for staying on top of things... while I haven't been actively posting I have been reading everything... You're doing a great job as Race Captain! Nice work in Boulder Damon... and good luck to you this week Erik.
  • Options
    Well, it's been a good week for training so far... I did the race rehearsal swim today, my time was about what I expected (1hr 22min). Slow compared to many of you i'm sure but not bad for me. :-)

Getting myself physched for doing "camp week" this weekend. LONG brick on Friday, ~112 mile ride on Sat, Long run Sunday... Going to be a tiring weekend I think...

Hope you all have a good weekend training and celebrating the 4th!

See you in Boulder!

Erik
  • Options
    @Ed, hope you're doing ok now. Keep up the spirits.

ok, well I was delayed doing camp week and ended up doing it this past weekend. Long weekend. Here is how it ended up. Looks like I was a bit optimistic in my previous post.

-Friday: 92 miles in 6.5 hrs, 1 hr run which was about 5.5 miles at my pace. It went fairly well. I was hoping for a linger ride. I had REALLY bad indigestion during the last hr or so of the bike. The run went ok. I used the ice bag trick which was great! Definitely going to do that on race day. It was hot here. On the indigestion, my nutrition was 48oz of Gatorade Endurance each hour with a salt pill each time I changed out the bottle (2 pills per hour). I ate just a bit of a power bar. I'm thinking I need more solids in my stomach. Thoughts?

-Sat: 62 miles on the bike. My legs were hurting. It's all I could get done. Did the same nutrition as above but ate about half a power bar each hour. Indigestion was not bad like it was on Friday but then again the ride was not as long either.

-Sunday: 1hr 15min run. Run went well until the end. I had a hard time staying in the Z2 pace for the last half hour. I even walked 30sec twice in that last 30mins or so.

Looking forward to a day off tomorrow!

Rock on folks!!
  • Options

@Erik - Nice work getting in camp week.  Yes, i agree that you for sure need calories in addition to gatorade either in the form of bars, gels, or some sort of concentrate like Infinit.  On the bike i use 80% gels and 20% bars in addition to the calories i get from gatorade.  I'm not sure about the indigestion - it could just be not enough calories.  On one hand it's a positive sign that you didn't have the same feeling on Saturday, but the ride was not as long.  You'll want to test that out on a longer ride to see if it truly was a calorie deficiency or something else.  Nice work on the run.  Z2 is tough to maintain on a long run so walking for 30 seconds every mile or so is a great strategy to hold on to Z2.  Overall great job getting it done and i'd call it successful in that you identified a couple areas to explore further.

• Options

Hey Mark, thanks for your thoughts and encouragement! It means a lot and is very helpful! See ya in a month...

Erik