Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Windows 10????

Okay, asking a triathlete about computers is kinda like asking a doctor how to shot free throws, but I thought there might be some perspective since we may use the same stuff.  I'm currently on a Lenovo Ultrabook with Windows 8 (touch screen).  My computer is a little over a year old and does everything that I want it to do with no problems.  Here's a list of things/apps I currently have no problem with - Training Peaks, Zwift, Garmin Connect, Netflix, HBOGo, WatchESPN, iTunes, Skype, Kindle.

All of these things are very important to me.  I'm overseas and use my computer as my only means of media entertainment and primary contact method with the family back home.  

Now for the question - Has anyone uploaded Windows 10 and what's your initial impression?  Any issues with any of the above applications.  I'm of the 'don't be an early adaptor' mindset, especially since every thing I have works and I'm not 'in need' of any improvement. If I do update and it turns out to not work, then its not easy for me to get service (no Best Buy / Geek Squad around the corner here in Japan).  Appreciate any feedback from those with Windows 10 experience.

Comments

• Options
    Hi Roy, I am an IT guy and my advice in this situation is NEVER upgrade when everything is working the way you like unless there is some feature in the new software that you really want. I don't *think* Win10 would have such a feature and given your overseas situation, I would stay put. Win8 will be supported by Microsoft for years to come.
  • Options
    I would agree that you shouldn't mess with the computer until you get back. I have used Windows 10 at work, but not with any of the above applications. The big improvement for Windows 10 is better Desktop support. The start menu is back, and Universal Apps can be run in a windowed mode. However, since you are running on a touch tablet these improvements are not as applicable to you. Overall I view Windows 10 as a big improvement over Windows 8 and works well for me. I would upgrade once you are back here, especially because it should be free for you!
  • Options

In my line of work (financial services) a windows upgrade like this one is particularly distasteful. Our IT people have worked a way to keep anyone from accidentally installing it. We are on 7 and we'll stay there a while. Too many systems depend on things actually working. It smacks of a home user type of thing. Automatic updates, automatic everything. For the less tech savvy person, it will probably be great.

• Options
    Thanks for the feedback all. Now I'm having other technical troubles with a Garmin 910xt update. It never ends...