Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Lake Placid
Options

IMLP Week 17/3 - Execution not Fitness

2»

Comments

• Options
    Hey guys...just put up my RR2 plan. Please give feedback! Thanks!

http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19086/Default.aspx
  • Options

Don:  Thanks for the motivation!  My RR2 was also just posted:  http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19089/Default.aspx

• Options
    Here's how I'm doing this week ... James Brown as a ski patrolman, singing, ""Ow! I Feel Good!":

http://youtu.be/ETNWrulIDic
  • Options
    @ Al - Nice song/video...great pre-race/pre-workout music

I had a good weekend of training. Run race rehearsal went well and I was "close enough" to the +30", Z1, and Z3 paces. The 4400 yd swim on Friday was uneventful. My times were a little slower than two weeks ago but some of that is from 8 days of no swimming last week and higher fatigue level. I felt good on Saturday's 5 hr/90 mile ride (NP-176, IF-72, VI-1.04). But it was a struggle to get going with Sunday's ABP ride. I ended up doing 3 efforts of 17-25' (NP-200, 194, 191) with 5' rest...total ride was 2:10/40 miles.

Time to start planning RR#2.
  • Options
    This last week of training went pretty well.

After racing last Sunday I was sore early in the week, but felt good as the week went on and really wanted to turn down the intensity for the week and just get the time in on the system. Overall that seemed to work well. Watched the HR on a lot of my running and feel pretty good.

With only a few more weeks to go, the next couple of weeks I just want to make sure I can eliminate any aches and pains and still get the workouts done as much as possible.
  • Options

Looks like everyone had a big week right when I really counts!!  Very impressed here!!

I had a great week up until Sunday.  Long run completed on Friday went well but miserably hard in heat and humidity.  Got it 19 miles.

Drove to NM Friday after long run and brought bike.  Plan was to do a lot of climbing.  Got in two hours and ~3K feet of climbing before the from tube blew(exploded) going down hill over 30 miles an hour...........  Held it together without wrecking some how, pulled over, cleaned my pants out then observed the 3 inch long hole in the tube......I did not have another tube with me that would work in the front 808  (my bad) so I was done for the day.....not happy and frustrated to lose that ride but moving forward. 

Let's hold it together one more week!

• Options
    @SS Holy crap, that could have been a disaster! Glad you're ok. Maybe put a valve extender in the toolkit?
  • Options
    @SS wholly crap on the blow out that is like a nightmare come true on a descent.... 1 huge draw back on these deep dish wheels is always having the right tube or more correctly the right stem.... drives me crazy....wont effect you going forward but I hear ya on losing the wko....

@Al I'll be singing I feel good a couple days before IMLP but I gotta admit at the moment that is NOT the case !

@Steve congrats and nice work on those OW swims

@ Mandy - what you forgot to mention was last week you drove 12hrs from NC to LP , participated in an IMLP camp, then drove 12hrs from LP to NC.... you earned a little fatigue!

@All nice work, keep it together and make smart choices during this coming last week of work!

Wrapped up last week with an awesome 3 big days of training with Scott Dinhofer.... week totals were 23hrs , 15k yds swim , 233 miles bike, and 45 miles run.... that follows the previous week's 22.5hrs , 23k yds swim , 215 bike , 40 run...... gonna ease up just a bit this week in prep for 1 more big weekend coming up and then thank god the taper will start!
  • Options

@ Derrek - I hear you about Sunday's ride.  You were probably smarter than me by cutting is a bit shorter and not hammering the thing to death.

@ Shaughn - glad you are OK... could have gone very bad had you not been able to manage the blow out.  A few things I always carry in my flat kit are a boot (patch of Vitoria 320 tpi tire), valve extension with valve already in it, valve removal tool, removable core tubes.  

My Sunday ride started hard and got progressively worse as the miles wore on.  Took nearly 30 minutes for the achenes in my legs to subside or maybe just got better at ignoring it.  What did Jen Voigt say? "Shut up legs!"  Yeah, that works for a while…..  The plan was to try and get/hold 80% of FTP knowing it would be near impossible given the shredding I gave my legs on Saturday.

Looking at the full ride it looks like a fine IM effort:

3:01 for 56 miles; 155 NP / 148 AP; 1.05 VI; 0.707 IF

A closer look by hour it starts to tell a different story:

• 1st hr 166NP / 160AP; 1.04 VI; 0.741 IF
    • 2nd hr 158NP / 155AP; 1.02 VI; 0.717 IF
    • 3rd hr 139NP / 129AP; 1.07 VI; 0.631 IF

During the last 16 minutes the suffering was plain.  The best I could do was 125NP; 0.57 IF; with 1.12 VI.  Yikes that’s bad!

Despite the total shredding my legs took Sunday, I am still happy to have attempted to do the work found what an empty tank feels like.  I’ll have plenty of time to fully recover prior to the RR coming up this next weekend.

• Options
    @Shaughn, so glad you made a controlled landing. Good save, sorry you didn't get your workout, but from what we saw at camp, you have built a fitness machine that, mixed with your EN execution smarts, will out-perform any guy in your age group who finished that ride.

@Don, I hope that quad keeps getting better. I'm glad you have the good advice of the experienced athletes on this forum, and it makes sense what they're saying: You've built your fitness, you don't need to stress it to the point of pain, just let the taper do its job and you'll be ready.

I had a decent week after a forced rest from the bike and swim last weekend (a family wedding in Las Vegas, just a couple of treadmill runs in the hotel.)

I took my 18-mile long run Thursday out to the county roads where there is very little traffic and a scenic hilly 6 mile loop. With the GE and a couple of Larabars in a cooler in the car, some shot bloks and a run belt that holds 4 8-oz bottles, I finally nailed my nutrition. The hills, wind, and heat, (92 when I finished) brought down my pace, but I managed to push that last six miles hard, faster than any other segment. My left knee whined at me, but I took a couple of tylenol afterward and have heard not a peep from it on the shorter runs since. My feet are blistered from abandoning my socks at mile 5 (you don't want to know) but they're healing up.

Saturday and Sunday on the bike were hot and humid, but I finally got my fluid and calories and sodium figured out. Before this weekend, the answer to "How many calories, how much fluid?" has simply been "more." It was hard to believe that, at 135 lbs, I need 390 calories an hour, but that's what it takes, along with 40 oz of fluid in the heat. If Lake Placid is 95 degrees with a 25-mph wind out of the southwest, Shaughn and I will have a distinct advantage. I've had a sharp pain between my shoulders after 3 hours on the aerobars, and tingling toes, but I made a couple of tiny adjustments to my bike fit and cleats that seem to help. I'm hoping the taper will heal everything up.

I'm doing my RR on Friday, and moved up my Wednesday ride to Tuesday. I'm using it as a tech rehearsal, putting everything on the bike as I plan to race it, new latex tubes, wheel covers, Zipp 404, and Speedfil A2 BTA. I had the Speedfil 40 oz between my feet and that worked well for training, but when I thought about peeing while riding, I decided I don't want my main fluid source below my seat, if you get my drift.

Thanks, everyone, for your awesome posts, it keeps me getting up and getting the work done.
  • Options
    time for an update..

Headed up North to Tim Cs place for a fun training filled 4th of July weekend.

Before I left, I laid down a solid 20 mile run with 1000' of climbing at home

Friday we started out with a RR swim in the lake on Friday morning. Timing was a big confidence boost since I have been blowing off lots of swim workouts due to pain in my shoulder from Rotator Cuff Surgery in December. I followed this with a short run.

Saturday we drove up north to Lincoln and Attacked the monster climbing course that Tim mapped out for us. I rode his wheel for the first 35 mins before I needed to take a natural break. Continuing the climb I kept Tim well within my sights until having to stop again (caffeine really goes through me!)

Long day in the saddle and I was on my road bike as I was having Di2 Problems with my Tri Bike.. Nonetheless, this was an epic ride through spectacular White Mountain Scenery in the shadows of Mt Washington. https://www.strava.com/activities/339031329

Sunday morning we woke up and I did a short swim, not feeling it as my shoulder hurt.

We finished this up with a solid Brick uphill 3 miles at first.

It was a great weekend of training, eating healthy and learning from one of our best.. looking forward to this coming week and the start of some tapering on the run...