Ironman Coeur D’Alene 2015 Race Report           

Short Version

Swim: 1:11:34

T1: 7:01

Bike: 6:21:45

T2: 5:19

Run: 4:49:16

Overall: 12:34:55

This report is for my own future reflection, my Endurance Nation team, and all my friends and family who might be interested, so it might get personal at times, technical at others.  Apologize for any grammatical or spelling errors in advance.  Feel free to ask any questions if you like.

Up front, some thanks:

A huge shout out to my Endurance Nation team.  I’ve been with EN for 3 years now, and I have never been disappointed in the wealth of knowledge, focused training plans, and free and open atmosphere between athletes that they have created.  While it is a business, it is also a family of like-minded and caring professionals from all walks of life.  There are a lot of really smart and experienced folks who share willingly and made a huge difference in the management of expectations in the scorching heat of the day.

My Iron Sherpa and Media Manager Lane Smith.  I’ve been lucky to have one of my two best friends, Lane and Steve, and each of my IMs, and they were both rock stars.  What I asked of Lane to support and keep others informed throughout an incredibly hot day requires a true friendship.  I love this guy!  Between answering a thousand inquiries via Facebook, phone calls, and texts, to picking up gear that likely had a rather odd smell, long-standing in crowds to give a half second yell of support, and being the icing on the cake when finishing, I couldn’t be more proud to call you a best friend.

Lastly, in retrospect, I was blown away by how many people were tracking my efforts throughout the day.  There were many dark moments throughout the day where the thought of your support helped me find the motivation to push through and keep on competing.

Pre-race: 

Try to keep this short.  Arrived on Thursday, checked in, and did a quick 20 mile bike out on the course.  While I was expected to ride at above FTP (229) on the larger hills, I found that I could manage the hills effectively at around 190-200.  Also reconfirmed that outbound pace was going to be way slower than coming back, so no need to get discouraged about the time it took to go one direction.  Met  some of the team for dinner, and wondered why no one else was imbibing in the magnificent selection of brews at the restaurant:o)

Friday morning, up early to meet for a team swim.  I had slacked off a bit with the swim over the last couple of weeks due to my moving schedule, so the 3 open water swims over the last week were critical to getting my stroke and confidence in the water back.   Back to homestay to pack gear bags.  Athlete’s celebration.  Big Denny’s breakfast, Texas Roadhouse steak and IPA for dinner.

Saturday.  Big Denny’s breakfast with the sherpas, then turned bike and transition bags in.  To a friend’s birthday party…alternated inside/outside all day to remain cool and hydrate; stayed off my feet.  I did do a jello shot in homage to my original racing partners (who doesn’t like tequila the night before a race??:o), and a quick “Kona” beer to put me to sleep.  Back to crib, staged for morning, and was out like a rock by 9:30-10:00.  Other than constantly have to use the bathroom, I’ve never slept better the night before any race.

Race day.  Up at 3AM (race start moved to 5:45AM).  Choked down 3 cups applesauce and whey protein mixture, slowly woke up, packed the truck, and we were out of there by 4:10; Monster red and banana on the ride.  Arrived race site by 4:40; set up bike, Sherpa turned in special needs bags, and took a quick team photo.  I happened to bump into the only set of port a johns without a line, and was finally able to take care of business – this was key to start the day…lol.  Only thing left to do was get to the water.  As I was walking, ate a gel and realized I hadn’t brought anything to drink; found a half full bottle of water on a table, rolled the dice, and slammed it. 

Swim:  Goal: 1:06-1:08.  Actual 1:11:34 (34/37).  Bibs under full sleeve wetsuit, goggles, ear plugs, and cap.  Quick warmup swim, and seeded myself towards the front of the 1:00-1:15 group with about 15 minutes to go.  Into the water within 90 seconds of cannon and got to work.  I was a bit uncomfortable with the early jostling, and a moved about to the outside ~ thought I had this under control, but after a 5 second treading water break to breath, I got on my way.  Other than likely not swimming a very straight line, it was just count strokes and enjoy the moment.  About 700 yds from finish I experienced my first ever cramp while swimming when my left calve absolutely locked up and felt like a huge ball of steel…took me about 30 seconds to get it to release and then had to be very conscious of it throughout the rest of the swim and beginning of bike.  80th AG, 574th Overall after swim.

T1:  Goal: 3:00.  Actual 7:01.  I was a hot mess in transition.  Lube on, heart strap on…twisted…back off and back on; bib straps up, bike jersey on, socks on, shoes on, helmet on, ears unfolded under stupid helmet, glasses on…fogged- can’t see, cooling sleeves on while running…crap, I need to get them under jersey…still can’t see, glasses on nose; grab bike, knock next bike of rack, run out.  Sweet mother of Mary.

Bike:  Goal: 6:20-6:35. Actual 6:21:45.  Cervelo P2, Profile Aero Drink Bottle between aero bars, bottle on down tube, bottle behind seat, flat kit keg behind seat, bento box behind stem, Reynolds Assault wheels with wheelcover, Powertap, Conti IIs.  Wearing aero helmet, sweatband, transition glasses, tight bike jersey and arm sleeves for sun protection, Desoto tri bibs, socks, and shoes.

Race Bike Stats: FTP – 229

NP: 163, AP: 152, IF: .712, VI: 1.07, Avg HR: 135.

1st 56: 3:08, 2nd 56 3:13

I went out a bit hard, but not overly hard.  HR came down fairly quickly, and there was some sorting out and maneuvering required in the first bit.  For me, a lot of this bike was pretty uneventful.  The usual things happened:  people hammered up the hills and coasted down the descents ~ I took it easy up the hills, and worked the descents.  Eventually, I never saw most of them again, but some I was with all day.  Did a gel every half hour, pounded the Gatorade and water as much as I could handle, and a salt tab every 1.5 hours.  Any water that wasn’t in me was on me, and towards the end I started picking up an extra bottle and stuffed it inside the front of my jersey.  Peed twice, once at about 60 and again at around 105.  Temps apparently reached 108, with asphalt temps above 140?  Personally, I never really felt cooked except on some of the long climbs.  On the way back in, I was shocked to see a steady line of folks walking their bikes up the first long hill on their second lap…mad props I guess, and really not trying to be an ass, but I just don’t get it.  Lane stated there was a steady line of folks who were calling it a day and handing in their chips after the first lap.  I can say without a doubt the recommendations, tips, and suggestions of my EN teammates in the week leading up resulted in me not only getting through the bike, but exceeding my expectations.  84th AG, 526th Overall.  I usually lose hundreds of spots OA here; execution and grit matter.

T2: Goal 3:00, Actual: 5:19.  Better, but seemed to me they had us dismount 30 feet before the line.  Anyway, not much to report.  Bike jersey off, EN tri jersey on, Injini toe socks and Hoka One One Bondi 3s on, grab go bag…stopped to liberally apply petroleum jelly to chafe points before heading out…crap, forgot my bottle on table, got it, tell the sunscreen girls to not be shy.  Put on garmin, race belt, hat, cooling towel, and situated fuels from go bag while leaving transition.  Quick shout out to Sherpa as I left letting him know I thought I had killed the bike (n=1). 

Run: Goal (no time goal with conditions/don’t die, just HR).  Actual: 4:49:16.  Any other day, I’d be embarrassed by that time ~ on this day, I am very proud of that time.  The run was a constant effort to focus on staying cool and running.  I didn’t feel hot on the run until about mile 23, and I never walked more than 60 steps on any mile, except for the hills, where I employed a 60/20 steps run/walk.  It was my best executed IM marathon to date.  I haven’t been able to get the garmin data to download yet, but I kept my HR solid at 138-142 throughout, which was well within the norm.  The people of CDA deserve huge praise for how they came out to support; misting stations that were put out were useless, but the garden hoses were money.  The volunteers at the aid stations were constantly upbeat and looking for ways to assist.  Folks were bringing out kiddie pools filled with ice and water to soak hats and towels (and would grab them and run them to you while you were racing).  Incredible support and a reason I love this race so much.  Anyway, saw the rest of the EN team killing it and was good to have some other racers to cheer on be cheered on by.  Only stepped out of my box once when some guys were pacing and videoing their friend for a good ways, and other runners were having to go around them; yelled at them to get off the course, HR spiked…not sure why there aren’t more marshalls on the run course as this was a common observation.  Anyway, the last 4-5 miles were a mental struggle…I had some “1 things” prepared, and they truly inspired me to dig deep and keep moving; thanks E/D.  The fact that I was able to continue running throughout, even from the beginning separated me from most of the competitors, and shows in the standings jump throughout.  Once again, coming around the corner and down Sherman Avenue was a moving experience!  Running 4-5 blocks through cheering crowds after such a difficult day drug the exhausted emotions out.  After dropping my stuff and giving Lane a hug for supporting me throughout the day, I took just a little bit longer in the finisher’s chute to take it in a bit, but still seems distant and surreal.  57th AG, 361st  Overall.

Post race, I slowly jumped in the lake for about ten minutes, walked to the car, sat in the grass for ten minutes, and then we hit the road for Montana, with a quick stop at Carl Jrs for a double western cheeseburger and large fries.  To further the Armageddon stature of the day, a truck dumped about 300 beehives on I-90, not too far away from the run course; that could have made things interesting had the bees descended on the spectators and participants.

Thanks again for all your support and care.

Comments

• Options
    good job out there!
  • Options
    Great RR. I am sorry we did not meet up. I missed the photo op by 4 minutes, got to meet Howe. Regardless, huge day for you! Super proud of your work. You crushed the run (in those conditions), I can see the details of what you did but the mental stuff that made it so is still beyond me. Agree, CDA is a funky, cool community. Looking for a party wherever possible, using the IM to have a good time. I can see why it is a repeatable course.

I felt the heat on the bike - when there was no wind, the heat coming off the road was baking. I suspect many of the walkers we saw were dehydrated. I sat with several who DNF'ed it on the bike this morning and all basically were reporting dehydration symptoms.

I have yet to meet a person who actually likes contact on the swim (water polo peeps?), but yet you still turned in a great time. Nice work.

Again, super effort. Hope to see you at the next one.

DS
  • Options

"It was my best marathon executed to date."

Mark,

Above says everything to me.   I know I could not pull that off in those conditions.  Huge inspiration to the work leading up to this and the veteran discipline it took to stay in the box for that long under those conditions.  Unbelievable!!

Super Congratulations!

SS

• Options
    Great report Mark... Essentially holding your own on the bike and then absolutely plowing through the field (27 in your AG and 213 OA wow) on the run shows your execution was spot on ! Big congrats to you!
  • Options
    All, thanks for reading and the kudos and feedback.

Doug ~ yeah, I was sorry I missed you after the lead up to the race.

Tim ~ many thanks to my internet IM hero:o) If you don't mind my asking, where did you find the rankings for the different disciplines. All I seem to have is where I was after the different discipline. Thanks.

Mark
  • Options
    Tim...nevermind...I see what you were referring to:o) Just running means moving up on that day.
  • Options
    Congratulations on the finish! I can't imagine racing in those conditions. Extremely well executed run to pass that many people, wow! Way to get it done out there.
  • Options
    Amazing work in that heat Mark. Under those conditions, that is a proud marathon time for sure.
  • Options

Well done Mark and thanks for coordinating for us!!!  Good to see how evenly split your marathon was and yes, the residents with the hoses MADE this race.  Personally I had them douse my head at every opportunity and I think there would have been even MORE carnage without them. Very cool vibe in the town.  Congrats!!!

• Options

Wow, I got tears in my eyes for this one! Well done.

• Options
    thanks for the leadership.      nice work.   until the next.