Home Community Forum 🏠
Options

Naming your rides!

I had a discussion with a few people lately about who names their bikes and cars.

Personally, I've got:

Kristyn: tri/TT bike, Kuota Kalibur. Named after a young lady I had a few dates with whose initials were K.K. also.

Natasha ("Tasha"): road bike, Specialized Tarmac S-Works SL3. Specialized reminded me of the movie "Species", whose star was Natasha Henstridge.

Juanita: Mountain bike (new), Specialized Crave Comp 29er. Crave reminded me of the word "rave", which I used to DJ raves, and started at a bar in Chico CA called "Juanitas".

I also named my cars:

Vanessa: 2003 Ford Mustang Cobra, after the actress Vanessa Marcil. Since sold.

Amanda: 1995 Ford Bronco. Bronco made to think of the NFL team the Denver Broncos. And my friend Amanda who lives in Denver. Since sold.

Betty: 2010 Toyota 4runner. "Black Betty" by Ram Jam was the first song that came on the ipod when I plugged it in when I first bought the truck.

These all seem pretty straightforward to me.

I've found in my (limited) research, that men tend to name their bikes/vehicles after women, while women tend to name their bikes something a little more androgynous.

What do y'all have names for, and the rationale?

Comments

• Options
    Named my kids and my cats but not my bikes or cars.
  • Options

Named my 2006 Toyota Tundra "Maria" after the song My Maria by Brooks and Dunn.

Named my Tri bike, a Specialized Alias, "Pony" because I was watching a show on the Pony Express. The ponies they rode were resilient and fast.

Named my first truck, a 1995 Toyota " PUTT PUTT," she wasn't very fast.

My first car, a 1979 Dodge Valarie," Love boat" after the show Love Boat. She had a huge back seat that I lived in during nursing school and working full time. 

• Options
    Road bike is Baby Beluga. Inspires thoughts of speed, right? She's a blue and white trek 2.1 and Id just been at the aquarium. My tri bike (P2) is Penelope, after the P in P2.

My old car was Helga, as she was an old very boxy Volvo, the name just seemed right. I'd always say she was boxy but beautiful!
  • Options
    Tri Bike is a Felt B16 so he's Blaze (Had to be a B or an F name)
    Road bike is Candy (cannondale that happens to be pink and black)
    Cross bike is Jake cuz well, its a Kona Jake

In the past I've had super creative names for cars like Suby the Subaru, Cammy the Camry and Mitsi the.... you guessed it, Mitsubishi. It is too hard to name my Hyundai Veloster so no name...
  • Options
    I don't know, Scott. So far, it seems like a chick thing.... image
  • Options
    No names for my gear. My wife calls them Stinky, Dirty, and P.O.S...as in "Why is that P.O.S. blocking the garage again!?"

• Options
    I give all of my bikes and cars names. Here they are in no particular order:

Car -- Jeep
    Bike 1 -- Felt
    Bike 2 -- Cervelo
    Bike 3 -- Niner

Original, huh? Upon further reflection, this list appears shockingly short and makes me think I need more bikes!
  • Options
    My wife names our cars, etc. I call them what they are, as John H does above.
  • Options
    My kids and my wife name everything!
    My Honda is Winnie, My wife's is Pearl, The old Toyota truck was Jack. I only have one bike and it is "Granny" in deference to the age and general grumpy character. If I ever get a real tri bike it will have a fast name.
  • Options
    My wife names the cars...I don't. But I do name my bikes. The current stable includes:

Black Death - BMC TM01
    Dragonfire - Giant Advanced Trinity SL01
    Blaze - Trek Madone 6.9

These names are how I want to train and race. I intend to add to the stable this year and QuickSilver is on the short list.
  • Options
    First Tri Bike (QR): Calvin
    First Road Bike (Trek): Hobbs
    Second Tri Bike (Felt): Fiona
    Third-ish Tri Bike (Felt): Fawkes (frame warranty on Fiona, so a phoenix reborn)
    Second Tri Bike (Trek): Spartacus (yes, I went there)
    First Cross Bike (Cannondale): Oliver