Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Louisville Warm Up Thread (Week 7)

Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls, Children of All Ages... Get ready for the most spectacular training group of all time!!!!!

I'm posting a warm up thread to spread the word, get some chatter going, and to prep us for the first 'official' IM Louisville workout thread next week.  We've got folks still doing some other stuff/races right now, however, a good many of us will drop into the testing week of the IM plan next week.

While its still early to think about race execution, here's a couple of things to get your juices started:

1.  If you haven't listened to Coach Rich's new power webinar, take a listen here.  Some slight tweaks in EN power philosophy and some context behind some of the training sessions later in the workup.  Also good gouge for later once we start thinking about the race.

2. Here's the EN IM Louisville page.  Course specific webinar, information, and some archived race reports.

3.  If you haven't (and I know there are a few of you out there) that haven't introduced yourself, do so on this page.

4.  Some general use items that I'm blatantly plagiarizing from another race group's warm up thread (hey, if it ain't broke...)

• On Social Media? Follow, Share, Spread the word about training with EN using #EN4Keys and tagging us on all platforms: 
  • Twitter - @teamen ---- Instagram - @teamendurancenation ------ Facebook - www.facebook.com/endurancenation 
  • Use email friend@endurancenation.us to get a friend to train with you and EN (they get a free month and so do you) 
  • Nudge all current EN members that you know are racing the VILLE to chime in on the weekly forums 
  • Check the box to follow the entire IM Louisville forum so you don't miss a single announcement 

5.  In case you need some motivation, here's a look at 2013 and 2014.  M.O.T.O.!!!!!

Whether you are a salty veteran (pun intended) or a fresh first timer, I highly encourage you to join in the banter and mojo that are the weekly threads.  I'll drop new a new thread each Sunday night (Japan time) to get us going.  Shiny numbers and distances are nice; but what's more important is the consistent work and accountability that threads encourage.  Don't be scared away by Timmy Racer's big numbers: jump in, share the love, and let us know how you are doing.  We will all have ups and downs during the new few months.  You can give and take mojo when you least expect it.  Don't lurk, come on in and join the conversation.  This is what the Haus is all about.

Let's do this!

Comments

• Options
    After getting my feelings hurt by the postponement of Incheon 70.3, I queued up the Full plan last week and got after it. After a good 1st week, I got the every season, "oh yeah, my legs are always tired" feeling going. Today, starting week 7, I got an easy (easy because its stupid hot / humid here) 5 mile run and a 2k swim in. All systems go.
  • Options

Thanks for the links! good stuff in here.

I did load up the IM plan this week, but slept in this morning. Have some kind of pain near my ribs/chest area, have an idea how that happened. But will probably will make a doc appointment to make sure  Also need to figure out the deal with my powermeter which has been snoozing for a week. The tri shop guys were supposed to call garmin, but nothing heard from them, so I will be hounding garmin today.

Struggling a bit with the run some EIA stuff, but swim and bike are going pretty well.

• Options
    I am so proud! Nicely done Race Captain!
  • Options
    I took a transition week after my race in Sweden and loaded up the advanced IM plan for Louisville today per my roadmap from Coach Rich. I'll be racing Austria 70.3 off my Louisville training. I woke up early this morning, thought it would be nice to sleep in, then remembered that it is GO time. Bazinga! 3000 SCY and 5.2 miles completed this morning. Hitting the weight room tonight.
  • Options
    This morning's 2x1 @TP turned into 1x1 and 1x0.5 due to my great Okinawa weather and exploding heart. 82 degrees and 94 percent humidity out the door at 0500 prior to dawn and I was spiking my HR slowly jogging over to my designated run pain spot. Going to have stop complaining and figure out an alternative because it will only get hotter the next month and a half. Fun times. image I did get a total of 5 and some change in. Swim at lunch hopefully.
  • Options
    Swim - 2300 SCM as per the plan. I'm actually looking forward to getting in the water this training cycle. Until 23 August, my pool is within a stone's throw from my office. Nice.
  • Options
    Thanks Capt Roy for the links, hoping to find some time to read them in the next few days. Coach has me in the get faster plan for the next few weeks then I will drop in on week 10 of the IM plan. Getting excited to start the long stuff and the meat of IM training!!
  • Options
    Danielle, come on in and let us know how the GF workouts are. There's room for all kinds in the Louisville group image
  • Options
    Hey Captain, thanks for getting this started. I guess that means we're getting closer. I am in Week 16 of HIM training for Lake Logan on August 8. I will drop into IM training on July 20. Right now I'm fighting the weather much like you. 90+ with high humidity. Drives my HR through the roof and the only way to keep it down is running slower. I'm getting most of the biking in but weekends are busy with family and work this month. Swimming gets the least of my attention but I come from a swimming background so no worries there. Good luck to everyone. This is gonna be fun!
  • Options
    Hi all! Thanks for starting the thread Captain! I'm in week 18 of the HIM plan. I'm racing Barb's Race in a couple weeks (an all women's half the same day as Vineman). I'm not feeling incredibly confident for that race -- but it will give me a good idea of where I'm at with things. I load up the IM plan right after the race. Did 2800 in the pool this morning, and will run later today. Thankfully we're getting a break from the heat this week which means I don't need to plan my run around the sun. Yay!
  • Options
    On vacation with the family at Hershey Park, so I had to do my 3x1mile speed work on the treadmill while the family slept this morning. Was surprised my body was able to move that fast at 5am and the day after walking in Hershey Park for 6 hours. Pleased to run 7:50, 7:40, 7:30 for my repeats. Now we spend 8 hrs in the car on our way to Maine!
  • Options

Posted By Danielle Santucci on 08 Jul 2015 06:43 AM

On vacation with the family at Hershey Park, so I had to do my 3x1mile speed work on the treadmill while the family slept this morning. Was surprised my body was able to move that fast at 5am and the day after walking in Hershey Park for 6 hours. Pleased to run 7:50, 7:40, 7:30 for my repeats. Now we spend 8 hrs in the car on our way to Maine!

Impressive!  I would probably be shot off the treadmill at sub 8 right now.  Although I am old (and slow), I did ride 5 roller coasters with my daughter at Grona Lund theme park in Stockholm a couple of weeks ago. 

• Options
    Wednesday, my body told me to take a rest day. So today (Thursday), I dialed up the FTP bike work at lunch. 10/15/10 at z4. Tough but manageable. Knowing that I had to pop it up here kept me honest. Keep on it everyone, regardless of what your day calls for.
  • Options
    Jennifer, for obvious physiological reasons, I have not participated in Barb's Race. However, I did do Vineman. Trust your work, get out there, and execute with confidence It's a great course and you should have a blast. That race has a very cool vibe to it. Good luck and let us know about your progress and preparation!
  • Options
    Stuck inside during the latest typhoon, lost interwebs and TV. Cued a bootleg download of 2012 Kona and spun on the bike for an hour. Then knocked out 10x2 minutes with the swim cords. Feeling the burn right now.
  • Options
    The heat is back in NC. 98-100 today. Did FTP work on Wednesday on the trainer. Thursday was supposed to be a long run but only got in 7 in early AM before work. 3 swims this week for a total of 5000 yds and hopefully 2 rides outside this weekend. Hope y'all have a great weekend.
  • Options
    Hello All,

Just loaded up my IM Plan after returning home from a 2 1/2 week vacation to Europe where I only ran (and mostly zone 1 pace). It was SAU time celebrating 25 years of marriage. I did go on two fun bike rides with my wife around the rivers Rhine and Amstel and one fun swim in the North Sea.

So, today's 3000- 3800 yard swim ended at 2250. I hadn't really done any swimming for almost 3 weeks and got to talking after my 6 x 300s and then just lost steam.

Looking forward to getting in my bike rides this weekend.

Feel good about the running I did. I actually got in 38 miles last week and enjoyed running in several German cities. I got in one hard zone 4 run in Frankfurt the morning of the IM Frankfurt. I felt really bad for those racers with the temperatures breaking German records in the near 4oc mark (over 100F). I watched some of them run for a little while but it was too hot to watch. It looked horrible.

Looking forward to getting my training mojo back up. I am signed up for the Toughman Minnesota in two weeks. Wonder what my FTP will be next week. Bet it has dropped.

We've got this!

• Options
    Wow, that sounds like my kind of 25th celebration, except I will need to be retired to be gone that long. Anyway, I am on track with my IM training and hoping for a decent race. My last two IMs sucked due to external issues.
  • Options
    My week
    M: Sharp pain in chest which apparently was caused by the usual culprits - my lungs. No workout, but a nebulizer treatment helped. I've been told I probably need a week of steroids, but doc agreed I could try the inhaled corticosteroid + albuterol combo and see if it worked. Didn't do any of the speedier stuff to help my lungs recover.
    T: 1:10 bike with 10, 12, 10 a bit faster + 2.5 run
    W: 2200 swim + 6 run.
    Thu: Missed run friend's dad died and went over there
    Fri: 2400 swim + 4.5 run
    Sat: 47 miles bike, have yet to download data.
    Sun: 11 mile run, it was pretty awful I struggled and now I know why, have a fever right now. Which blows.
    There is some crap at work too that is stressing me out. Not the best week. But that's how it goes. Life happens.
    Tomorrow's workout will also likely be skipped, unless I feel much better.
  • Options

@Anu, hope the stress of work and your pain lighten up soon.

I had a pretty good weekend, hitting both bike rides a little under my power goals, but close enough.  It was nice being on the bike again after a couple weeks off.

• Options
    Anu, listen to what your body is trying to tell you and lay off until you get over your sickness. Way to early to be digging yourself a deeper hole.

Long distance athletes seem to be the creatures that think the way to heal a sick body is with an 'easy' one hour workout. To most normal humans, a one hour workout regardless of intensity is a one hour workout... Don't be 'that guy'. image
  • Options
    Thanks for the reminder Roy, I've been feeling anxious that I will miss workouts this week, but yes it is early and I need to hit this when I am 100 percent. As it stands I am still sick today. :| I hardly ever fall sick so this annoys me  LOL!
  • Options

Had a solid weekend with biking hitting my goals with long ride and abp ride. 

Yesterday, I ended up skipping my swim.  I went home after work, ate too much food and then crashed at about 7pm.  I was wiped out.  I think the traveling finally caught up to me.  

Got in a good run today at Lunch and am trying to get psyched up for the bike test tonight.

Thinking ahead to the weekend.  I am seeing a conflict in the numbers.  One says 4 hour bike ride, and other 210 minutes.  I'm guessing that it should be 240 minutes and that is what I will go with.

• Options
    Welcome back Stephan. Hope the trip was good. Looking forward to hearing about it in Louisville. Anu - hope you're on the mend and start feeling better soon.

I'm still in the HIM plan but drop into IM plan next week. This weekend started well with a 2.5 hour ABP ride on Sat but fell apart on Sunday due to a riding partner's flat tire that wouldn't repair. Time constraints put an end to the day after an hour of riding. This week work has me juggling the workouts so I ran Monday and swam today. Was gonna test this afternoon but legs were tired and decided to do a sweet spot ride and test on Thursday. Friday is a RR run so should be 11-13 miles before work. Nothing like the 0415 alarm. Keep on pushin y'all!
  • Options
    New thread started everyone Hop in there and share the mojo.
  • Options

Kicked in and Got the FTP test done with my feet and mind dragging.  Not sure it was smart to run at lunch today and have the bike test in the evening.  Felt strong during the run, not so much during the bike.  V02 was 344 down from my last time of 352, and the 20 minute test was 307 down from 312.   Overall, I'm glad considering how I was feeling.  Can't complain.  Felt good to be done with that.  I am not one that enjoys that test!