Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Boulder
Options

Week 17 Training Thread

Well, here we are!  Less than 4 weeks to go until race day.  Most of the hay is already in the barn, but these next 2 weeks are not the time to back off.  You will for sure be tested these next 2 weeks with peak volume coming in weeks 17 and 18.  A couple considerations going into this week.  Thursday is your Race Rehearsal run - that means you're looking at somewhere between 15-18 miles.  Pay attention to the pacing instructions and check out the coaches weekly video.  The back half of this run is HARD.  It's supposed to simulate the conditions you will be facing on race day somewhere around mile 18 of the run.  This is a workout you want to mentally get ready for and be as well rested as possible given you can't really be 100% rested at this point in your IM build.  On race day you can use this run as a positive reminder that you have been here before in similar condition and made it through successfully.  Also try to use to the same fueling plan you will use on race day and you might want to consider looping your run so you have easy access to hydration and nutrition (and a bathroom!) along the way.   Finally, note that a 4th swim has been added to the plan.  Treat the thursday swim as recovery.  I will oftentimes do my recovery swim with a pull buoy to rest my legs.  Keep getting after it and post any questions or results you would like to share!

Comments

• Options

I rode 106 miles on the course today and this was the first time i have rode the course in the order we will ride it on race day.  A couple observations.  One, there are a TON of people out training on the course.  Two, the 2nd loop is for sure more challenging in terms of wind and additional traffic than the first.  And third, the climbs up mineral and look are tough, not because of the climbs themselves, but more because where they come on the course at miles 87 and 95.  The good news is once you clear lookout there's a mile downhill to rest and then it's off to the Boulder High School for T2.  Based on my last handful of rides i feel i have my target watts pretty much dialed in.  Weather will be a key consideration because if the forecast is for a hot day, then i may back my watts down to compensate.  I hope everyone's saturday has gone well and hope everyone is getting ready for race day.  3 weeks and counting!

• Options
    Thanks for the warning at 87 and 95... Your Strava for this ride looks awesome... You've done some tremendous work... can't wait to watch you blow this course up!
  • Options

Awesome that you rode the course! Getting excited! Did my rides and run around here this weekend. 80 miles yesterday and 60 today plus the Sat run...
    Getting myself mentally ready for next Sat's race rehearsal...

Erik
  • Options

@Ed - Right back at ya!  For sure you will want to be ready for the hills and something left in the tank. Like i said, they are not bad (7 min of climbing for mineral and about 12 min for Lookout) but it's nasty where they fall on the course.

@Erik - nice work!  Smart man getting geared up for your next RR!  It's an important day for sure!

• Options
    @Mark, Thanks for the time for the climbs, this puts it nicely in perspective for me. Even if I figure I'm only half as fast as you now I have an idea to put those climbs in perspective. When I look at the hill profile I was trying hard not to get myself concerned that the climbs were like 45 mins or something scary like that...

Enjoy!!