Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Maryland
Options

IM MD - Week 11 / 20 - 10 to go

"Beefy swim, bike, & run" - so says CoachR in this week's podcast, and that is exactly what we will all be doing this Saturday or thereabouts!  Yep, a 1 hour swim / 4 hour bike / 1 hour run... woo hoo!!  This will be the "real" kickoff to my IM training block, as I'm driving my daughter to college this week (to start early with a summer semester.)  Then it will be only my husband that I have to deal with re: guilt over hours away training, and he's gotten pretty used to it over the years.  That's always been a pretty big struggle and balance for me - feeling ok with the choices made between family and training.

Have a great week, all, and keep the posts rolling!

Comments

• Options
    Looking forward to that Big Training Day so I can try out a few nutritional things. FWIW, I may be moving the workout to Friday (taking the day off from work) because my pool doesn't open on Saturday until 9am and that's just too late with traffic around here. If I can get a friend to join me for the swim, I may be able to do it Saturday as an OWS in the sound. But otherwise, I'm on for Saturday. So, if you have a similar situation, here's what Coach P recommended as the week revision to accommodate that change:

"regular week through Wed, Thursday is a short 45' run, z2, strides, etc. Friday is Big Day. Saturday is off (BONUS!) and Sunday is long run from Thursday. Monday should be swim only or off if you are beat."
  • Options
    Step 1 prep for Big Training Day: Add the rear hydration system so you can carry 4 hours of hydration- check!
  • Options
    Great reminder, Nemo! I figured out during my 1/2 IM a few weeks ago that a rear hydration system is needed - one, to have 3 bottles at any one time (upfront btw aerobars, on downtube, and in rear - as a back-up), and two, to have my spare tubes & flat kit more accessible in a "bottle-type" holder on the other side of the rear hydration system. Got the goods; just need to install.
  • Options
    I think I am going to go over to Cambridge for the RR weekend Aug 27 to do the swim, 2 rides, and runs. Is anyone interested in meeting up? I know it is probably far for most of you but I thought I would throw it out there.

• Options
    will have to drop the swim from Saturday. Will do long swim on Friday, the 4hour bike 1 hour run on Saturday...

is it crazy that I'm considering staying on the trainer...I'm enjoying my Netflix and have done 3 hour trainer rides the last 3 weeks with not much fuss. besides the legs hurting from the constant motion.
  • Options
    Nate, that sounds perfectly dreadful, and yes, crazy!! Is the weather the problem?

On the flip side, the "constant motion" from the trainer is actually good training for this race. The thing about flat and windy courses is that you never get a break. There's never a descent where you can rest for a few seconds, or a climb where you can sit up. Just 112 miles of aero peddling over and over and over.
  • Options

As we get ready for this Big Tri Day, I think it's a good time to look at nutrition and what is going to be on the course.  Even if you plan on using/bringing your own "stuff", it's always good to know what will be available and to have tried it out so you know what to expect if you have to resort to "plan b" .  I just realized that the salt supplement that would be on course is very different than what they have had in the past, and the way you use/take it is a bit different too.  So if nothing else, be sure to check out the Forum Thread on Base Salt!

Anyway- here's the list of what will be available at the Aid Stations from the Athlete Guide for upcoming IM Boulder.  It should be the same stuff:

Bike: Gatorade Endurance Formula (Flavor: Orange) Water Bananas GU Original Energy Gels Roctane Ultra Endurance Gels GU Chomps Clif Bar (flavor options will vary upon availability) 

Run: Gatorade Endurance Formula (Flavor: Lemon-Lime) Water Cola Chicken Broth (after dark) GU Original Energy Gels Roctane Ultra Endurance Gels GU Chomps Pretzels Fruit Clif Bar (flavor options will vary upon availability) 

BullFrog Sunscreen Station The Official Sunscreen of the IRONMAN U.S. Series is providing sunscreen to all athletes, located at the BullFrog Sunscreen Station near the ‘Run Out’ arch in Transition. 

BASE ELECTROLYE SALT The Official Endurance Salt of the IRONMAN U.S. Series is providing electrolyte salt tubes to all athletes on the run course. BASE beats other sodium products because its crystal form begins absorbing in the mouth, unlike capsules that must reach the stomach and be digested before it starts to work. BASE also doesn’t cause the GI upset that the casing of capsules often causes. Look for their tents and tables near an aid station.

• Options
    Nemo, believe it or not, its because I'm too lazy to drive the 20 minutes to my training area which is in a nearby state park. I may just have to suck it up and pack up the car and go.

You are so right about the flat course. Having done IMFL and Chesapeake Man which is basically IMMD now, I can attest to the hardness of a "flat" course. It might be faster but it is a grind past mile 80...and the wind at Chesapeake Man was no joke. 155watts with a headwind was giving me 12 MPH sometimes and it felt like I was climbing up hill. with a tail wind it was more like 27 MPH...I was told by someone who did both Chesapeake Man and IMMD that the changes IM made to the bike course protects us a bit more from the wind...will see on race day. I believe the difference is going clockwise instead of counter clockwise.
  • Options
    So, that swim felt pretty hard last night but I was pleased I pushed through and finished - huge confidence boost to be in the neighborhood of the full distance. My legs felt heavy the whole time, like they were sinking - really hoping that the swim will be be wet suit legal!

Thanks for the nutrition info Nemo. I have some Base salt but haven't tried it yet, going to try to this weekend. I am also going to try infinit for my bike calories - I having a hard time getting calories down while riding so I am thinking maybe drinking most of them will be better - I hope so!

Nate - I too am thinking about staying on the trainer - really going to force myself to stay aero for the whole thing.

Nemo - I have enjoyed watching the responses to your swim skin question - let us know if you end up getting one and what you think! On that note will most of you change shorts for each leg or try to go with one trip kit for the whole thing. I am torn. In my HIM in the spring I loved the kit I wore but am thinking I might like a little more padding on the bike and some fresh shorts on the run.
  • Options

Sarah - regarding shorts for the bike, I'm considering wearing 2 tri shorts.  I did this during La Vuelta, a 3 day, 375 mile ride in Puerto Rico, and it worked great.  Just as much padding as a bib, and the added compression in the thighs felt great towards the end of each day.  With the two shorts, there tended to be less friction in the seat area too.  I'm going to try it during Saturday's Big Day and will let you know how it goes.

Anybody else try this or have thoughts? 

• Options
    David- I can't imagine wearing 2 pairs of Tri Shorts at one time!! Oh my! I'm a minimal padding kinda gal, so less is better for me.

Sarah- in all 4 of my Ironman races so far I have switched in T2 from Tri Shorts to Run Shorts. It didn't take that much extra time and I felt like getting a little fresh air down there would be a nice lift in the middle of a long day. That said- I'm actually thinking of doing the whole thing in Tri shorts this time around, partially because I've been having some chaffing problems lately with my run shorts.
  • Options
    I can't imagine wearing two pair of tri shorts, but have worn a pair of Nike Fit tight fitting shorts under a pair of bibs before. I didn't like it. I'm with Nemo, I sometimes find that less is more in terms of padding. Regardless, after a few hours on the bike, you are gonna be sore. Just part of the deal. (can you even imagine how a Tour Rider does 21 stages of the TdF)

Sarah, For the race I plan to wear tri shorts and a tight fitting EN cycling top for both the bike and run. Not sure if I will wear it under my wetsuit or not. Need to practice that if I can. For the 3 previous IMs I've done I've been in the same kit shorts from start to finish. Only change I made for the last two was throwing on a cycling jersey for the bike and then changing into a tri top for the run. This is completely up to you. Just keep in mind that the less you do in transition the quicker you will get out of the tent. it also just keeps things simple. One of the main reasons why I started wearing a cycling jersey for the bike is for sun protection. Getting sun burn during an IM makes recovery so much harder and its not worth it. The new EN tight fitting cycling top is also very aero and I wore it last Thursday for my long run and it felt fine while running.
  • Options
    I've kept it simple through all my triathlons over the years, and stick to 1 kit (tri shorts & top) through the whole race. Yeah... I get a little chafed here and there (mostly around jogbra area, and once in bellybutton due to shorts tie bunched up in there... owie in the shower!) It's all part of the game!

Nate - I love my trainer and have been known to do long rides on it, even when it's sunny and beautiful outside. I do always feel a little "guilty", but sometimes it's just easier! I say go for it if that's what you're feeling!
  • Options
    Holy Humid...nailed todays long run in terms of numbers...nice negative split effort, but man I need to pay attention a bit more to hydration before and during the run when its going to be so humid out at 5am in the morning. I was completely soaked from head to toe coming in the door. drank 44oz of Gatorade but I think I was a little down after swimming yesterday afternoon.

Drinking water all day like a champ...
  • Options
    Yeah, on one hand I'm glad I didn't do the run today because I'll be doing the Big Day tomorrow. On the other hand, oh boy that Big Day is gonna hurt! And the weather for Sunday's long run doesn't look much better!

Good luck everyone- and remember, it's OK to dial back the pace in this kind of heat/humidity. You can run a little slower pace and still neg split the run to get the training effect the coaches are looking for.
  • Options
    Folks- I put together a "Big Tri Day" plan (I'm kinda crazy about documentation, it's a professional hazard) for tomorrow. If you'd like to take a peak for your own plans, you'll find it over here: http://members.endurancenation.us/Forums/tabid/57/aft/19296/Default.aspx