Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Rules for bike shoes in transition

In the 2014 Athlete Guide, p.13, item 7, it is clear that bike shoes must be in your transition bag and not on your bike (unless you're a pro!!). Is this expected to be the case this year? I have heard that some other IM races are changing the rules on this. Of course Madison is one of the few to still have a mass start, so maybe we go "old skool". Anyone have info?

Comments

• Options

Posted By Matt Aaronson on 29 Jul 2015 08:58 AM

In the 2014 Athlete Guide, p.13, item 7, it is clear that bike shoes must be in your transition bag and not on your bike (unless you're a pro!!). Is this expected to be the case this year? I have heard that some other IM races are changing the rules on this. Of course Madison is one of the few to still have a mass start, so maybe we go "old skool". Anyone have info?

Stuff like this will be in the athletes guide. Wait for that to come out

• Options
    I'm going to start doing my 5-hour rides without socks if I can have my shoes on the bike. That's how I roll HIM-style but in training I've been wearing socks. If shoes are in the bag I'll invest time in T1 to put on socks (which I would do in T2 regardless). Time for me to train how I race!!!
  • Options

Posted By Matt Aaronson on 29 Jul 2015 10:35 AM

I'm going to start doing my 5-hour rides without socks if I can have my shoes on the bike. That's how I roll HIM-style but in training I've been wearing socks. If shoes are in the bag I'll invest time in T1 to put on socks (which I would do in T2 regardless). Time for me to train how I race!!!

Don't wear socks on tri bike because you'll be pissing yourself on race day . I don't train with socks...but I also don't piss myself either in training....

• Options
    Don' t wear socks unless you want to get DQ'd like the AGer last weekend who stopped to Pee on the side of the road...
  • Options
    Oh, really good point. I've never pissed myself on the bike during a race. I've always stopped. But I guess I need to try and learn to do that. I will practice it but maybe with some less expensive bike shoes. If I recall correctly from when I bought them a few years ago my Sidi tri shoes cost something like $300. I don't usually think about getting a DQ when I pull over in a race but it makes sense that would happen.
  • Options
    I hesitate to give my 2 cents when WSMs are chatting, but here goes: Yes, I recommend you practice making your cleats stink. Before my first IM, I had not practiced and despite several attempts I couldn't go during the ride--call it stage fright. Had to stop at T2. But by IMAZ, I had learned that standing during a descent worked for me (each person has their method) and I was successful three times. By IM Austria, went six times and never stood at all. Proof that work works.
  • Options
    three iron starts this year.    for all of them, guide said shoes could be on the bike.         cda reneged verbally and said no shoes on bike.    so i did shoes on bike for texas and canada.
  • Options

Posted By robin sarner on 29 Jul 2015 02:54 PM

three iron starts this year.    for all of them, guide said shoes could be on the bike.         cda reneged verbally and said no shoes on bike.    so i did shoes on bike for texas and canada.

Shoes on the bike at WI would be money. It's a loonngg run on concrete...