Home Races & Places 🏁⛺
Options

Jenn's IMC RR - Jenn's IMC Race Report: Getting Wet, Getting Cold and the Momma Bear Run Around

Jenn's IMC Race Report: Getting Wet, Getting Cold and the Momma Bear Run Around

IMC: Getting Wet, Getting Cold and the Momma Bear Run Around

Ahhhhh what sounded more appealing than doing a nice temperate race in the beautiful mountains of Whistler after the record heat of Coeur d’Alene!?!  We arrived in Whistler for IMC four weeks post IMCDA with a tad more confidence having done the same two races last year.  Of course, doing back-to-back Ironmans is always a bit of an ill-advised crap shoot.  I’d done well last year with a fourth place finish and training in between had gone smoothly, but there was a lot to be left to the Ironman and Weather Gods.   By the end of the race day there would be LOTs of lessons learned (aren’t there always!) a little less skin on my fingers, my best ever run split by 20’ and Ironman finish #8 on the books!  

Pre Race 

Rolling into the venue we certainly looked out of place towing a boat into a skiing and mountain biking resort town!  Although Mark’s volunteering on the swim effectively doubles our pre-race logistics, we have gotten into a pretty good groove and checked our “to-do” boxes relatively efficiently. We even still liked each other come race day in spite of the raw launch into sand and mud – not exactly a recipe for marital bliss!  We attended RTB and EN events, did a shake out ride with the Frosts and felt ready to roll.  On race morning Mark had to head to the boat before I left the room so I was on my own to get out the door and onto the bus for a shuttle to the start. 

*** Mark at the Alta Lake Raw Launch ***

The Weather

As a fellow EN athlete Rachel H pointed out, I must have pissed off the weather Gods this year.  Let’s just say there is some sick feather-in-the-cap to be earned by racing both the hottest and the coldest and wettest Ironman but I’d gladly give that feather to someone else!   For some unknown reason, I thought the Castelli T1 Stealth top, which I’d purchased for aerodynamic purposes and used for sun protection in IMCDA, would help keep me warm in Whistler’s 40 degrees and pouring ass rain.  What was I thinking?  I’d added arm warmers, a beanie and gloves but let’s just say as it turns out a nice thermal vest would have been very much appreciated a whopping 10’ into the bike. Sigh.

*** Whistler vs. Coeur d’Alene – Pick Your Poison! ***

The Swim: We Were Gonna Get Wet Anyway

The definition of insanity is doing something the same and expecting different results, right?  Well I lined up even further out from the start (closer to shore) than I did last year and lo and behold, got just as clobbered as last year.  Next time I’m taking the advice of many teammates and lining up right on the start buoy.  Somebody please remind me of this if I talk about doing anything else next year!

*** Lesson #1, Redux: I lined up on one of the small yellow buoys in the middle.  Just like last year and probably the year before.  <<< Hangs head in shame. >>>   I need to be on the red start buoy next year!  ***

*** Swim Start = Rain Start ***

Although I never did find open water in the first loop, I swam relatively smoothly and comfortably.   There really wasn’t much else to do – too many people in front of me to go around!  By the second loop, both the skies (of rain) and the lake (of swimmers) had opened up markedly.  I negative split the swim and came out just a tiny bit faster than IMC last year.  On to the bike.

*** Swim Photo - Already Wet.  Let’s do this! ***

The Bike: Moxie’s Mechanicals - Proof She Shouldn’t be Ridden in the Rain

The targeted power for the day was somewhat of a wild ass guess with the last FTP test months and a full Ironman behind me.  I’d been more aggressive in training between the two races than last year but it still felt like a pretty fuzzy target.  Anyway, armed with a new cap of 140 BPM on heart rate after a heart-to-heart (pun intended!) conversation with Coach P, I set a wattage target from 150w (last years race average) to 161w (the average of the race rehearsal in May).   I planned to start the day at the low end of the range.  If I could build power with the heart rate in check and the legs feeling good, I’d do so.  

Out of the swim my HR was really high, as usual.  Reminding myself that Coach P would be looking at this file later, I took it SUPER easy out of the lake and onto the highway.  Luckily, the heart rate came down pretty quickly.  

*** Bike File: Pleased with execution here, all things considered! ***

Headed South to Callaghan I’d just reconciled myself to a very uncomfortable day when there was an “awful grinding sound” to use the words of nearby RTB athlete Josh.  I looked down and my chain had dropped to the inside and wedged between the frame and the crank. This had happened twice in training, much to the bemusement of two different shop mechanics and my (AMAZING!!!)  Husband Hero mechanic.  As such, we’d installed an “anti chain drop” device designed to keep just this sort of thing from happening.    I flipped the bike over and gave a firm tug up on the chain as training partner Steve had shown me how to do.  Nothing.  I pulled again.  Still nada. Certainly it wasn’t wedged in there that tight – I’d stopped putting pressure on the pedals immediately upon hearing the noise. I took a closer look.  F***!!!  That anti chain drop device had now impaled my chain and was preventing me from pulling it back out of the frame.  I took off my gloves and shoved my fingers into the chain rings in an attempt to get the chain off of the impalement. After several attempts, some missing skin from my (thankfully numb) fingers and a few desperate looks around for neutral support, it magically released.  I navigated the chain carefully around the impalement device and onto the chain ring.  We were three miles in, my gadget registered 43 degrees and I was soaked.  Onward. 

**** Soooo wishing for IMCDAs heat at this point! ***

We took a right to begin the climb to Callaghan.  My average heart rate was already lower than targeted so that was great news.  I yo-yoed a bit with EN athlete Ann and RTB athlete Ryan, which was fun – misery loves company!    As the chilling effect of the wind went down and the effort of the ascent heated us, we were never so glad to be climbing!  Unfortunately what goes up, must come down.   The descent from Callaghan was truly a spirit killer. I was shivering, my teeth were chattering uncontrollably and I had a hard time keeping my hands on the bike.   Many athletes DNFed at the bottom where organizers had brought in busses as portable warming tents.  Even several pros DNFed at that point. 

*** The consensus of the field at the bottom of Callaghan ***

On the return to Whistler my chain dropped again.  Gahhh!!!!  I flipped Moxie over and went to work.  The chain hadn’t been impaled, but once I got it on the front chain ring I couldn’t get it to settle into the cassette.  Woe!  Less than 40 miles into the race I was borderline hypothermic, my bike wasn’t working and the thought of DNFing crossed my mind.  I went to my mental toolkit and pulled out all my “one things” (some of us need many one things!) usually reserved for late in the marathon.  I thought of doing all those who support and cheer for me, especially Mark, proud.  I knew my racing self owed my training self that has put so much time into the preparation for this race.  I knew if I could keep going I’d at least earn one more finish in case I never qualify and be one step closer to Kona via the Legacy program. The chain settled in.  I flipped Moxie over.    According to my gadget, I’d lost a combined total of about 5’ on the side of the road with mechanicals.  

*** The Edge of Wetness ***

We continued through Whistler and began the descent to Pemberton.  I started to feel slightly less miserable, although many people suffered terribly here too.  By the Pemberton flats I was feeling pretty good, my power was building, and I went to work.  

*** According to my gadget the average temperature on the bike was 51.  And officially measured as raining buckets for the first two hours.   ***

On the return from Pemberton I was pleasantly surprised at how good my legs felt. I kept checking my average heart rate and my average power and was able to build both while keeping the heart rate for the day under the imposed cap. My bike was making an unhappy noise in the easiest climbing gear so I stopped using in in fear Moxie would stop rolling all together.  I rolled into Whistler soaking wet and covered in grit, pee and snot but hopeful for a good run.

*** Power by Hour: Built Throughout the Day and Heart Rate Under Cap! ***

The Run: When Your Legs Can’t Run Anymore Run with Your Heart

Historically my bike heart rate has been 6-8 BPM higher (143ish) than my run heart rate (135ish), which is exactly the opposite of what it should be.  After my pow-wow with Coach P we decided that I needed to come off the bike with an average heart rate UNDER 140 BPM then I needed to keep it ABOVE 140 BPM throughout the run. This was much faster and harder than I had run in the past, but I was more than ready to try something new and lay it all on the line.    Early into the run I saw Heidi and she let me know I was in second off the bike. She also provided some much-needed mojo and a slap on the butt.  I was running well with my heart rate just above 140 BPM and determined to keep it there.  

*** Sign on the Course: This Mantra Was Truer Today than Any Other! ***

After the first lap it got much, much harder to keep my heart rate above 140, but I was doing it. At one point some volunteers formed a tunnel that shuttled the runners OFF of the run course.  “Um, I see the green arrow right over there – are you sure”, I asked? “Yes, yes” they assured me, “We are just detouring you around a charging momma bear.”  “Well okay then, just tell me where to go,” I readily agreed!  Have we mentioned the amazing volunteers yet?  Just one of their “other duties as assigned” and around the bear I went!  We’d find out later the momma and her three cubs were tranquilized and moved to a safer area.  Whew –  now that’s the full Whistler experience!

*** Bear at Ironman News Story ***

On the run I was trying really hard to get in as much nutrition as planned but was falling short.  My tummy just wasn’t happy so I tried a few different things including Red Bull (yuck!) and Coke (nope).  Unfortunately that also meant I wasn’t getting the caffeine in as planned and it was getting harder and harder to keep the heart rate up.  Lesson learned – I’ll separate the caffeine plan from the calorie plan in coming races so I can at least get one of the two down the hatch. 

*** Dried out and running! ***

I used all of the mantras I had and then some.  I collected as many super-power delivering high-fives as possible from our RTB and EN athletes, friends and supporters and shut out the pain.  There was RTB green and EN red EVERYWHERE!  I won’t try to name them individually but you know who you are and from the bottom of my (beating heavily) heart: THANK YOU!  

*** Ran Right on the Edge for Four Hours – Ouch! ***

My HR was 140 BPM, 139, then 141 - right on the edge of where I wanted to be.  At mile 18 I wanted to bring it to 145 but it wasn’t happening.  As far as I could tell I was only passed by one person in my age group throughout the run but a lot of ladies had on calf sleeves so it was impossible to tell. Regardless, I was givin’ what I had!

*** Heart Rate Up by but Unable to Build Late – Need More Calories and Caffeine: Lesson #8,659 on the Day! ***

I crossed the finish line right into the catcher who took me to Mark and Heidi waiting at the finish.    I was really spent, physically and emotionally and already close to tears.  I knew my run was about a 20’ PR and was thrilled with that, but would it be enough?   “What place am I?” I asked Heidi. She refreshed her phone…  6th.    Ouch.  That hurt.  I’d swum and biked on par with last year and had my best run ever and it still wasn’t enough.  I knew there was almost no way a Kona slot would roll down to 6th. As proud as I was of the run, I was so disappointed in the placing.  It felt like someone is raising the bar (ha!) just one year ahead of me and I will never be enough.  Heidi and Mark assured me I was enough just as I am.  More tears.  I’d get all mushy, but let’s just leave it to the imagination the amount of gratitude I had for Mark and Heidi at that point and thank them for their grace in the face of such a snotty mess.  

*** Jenn Finish Photo TBD ***

Woulda Coulda Shoulda: 6th? 5th? Or 4th

At the finish line I showed as 6th, just off the podium.  Later that night, I showed as 5th and wondered if perhaps someone in front of me received a penalty that pushed them down in the results.  We were going to the awards ceremony regardless so with one last check of the results in the morning (still 5th!) we headed to the awards ceremony thinking that is where I’d land. 

Unfortunately, the first name they read off (for 5th place) wasn’t mine.  Um… awkward!  Her time was faster than mine, so clearly as it turns out the data had been correct at the finish after all.  It was disappointing to not be on the podium but it wouldn’t’ have earned a Kona spot anyway.  In fact, even without that mechanical I would have been fourth and there were only three spots.  No harm no foul.     I did hear of a lady that missed a Kona spot by two seconds and had a two minute bear delay.  D’oh!

*** Race Day Video - Lots of Teammates and Me at the 7:43 Mark! ***

What’s Next?  

Honestly I don’t know just yet.  In 2014 I was 4th here and 28’ outside of earning a slot outright.  This year I was 6th and 12’ out with a 20’ PR at including that 5’ mechanical. The racing is getting tighter!  

I’m seeking input from my trusted friends and coaches.  If the goal is to get to Kona via Legacy and I continue at two per year I’ll have enough to qualify in two more years.  I have a lot of control over that.  If the goal is to qualify outright I need to get even faster and apply those lessons learned.  Coach P and I are already at work on next season's plan.     As hard as it is to set a goal I can’t 100% control, I’m learning to “let go” a little and dare to try!  

Gratitude

Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all who support, cheer or send a bit of mojo my way.  And thanks to Mark who makes it all possible and fun. Cheers!

Comments

• Options

Jenn....wow!  Great race.  Congratulations.  So strong.  

Your race reports are just the best.  I was laughing outloud.  Very creative. Your attitude (especially given how close you are to KQ and how bitter you could be and others would be) is one of your strongest attributes in my eyes.   

Glad I was able to meet you (briefly).  Personally, I think the old adage..."you can't control who shows up on race day" applies to you more than anyone I can recall.  Perhaps if one of your races this year had not been at the extremes of temperature/weather, you'd have gotten your well-deserved spot.  Wishing you the best of luck going forward.  JL

• Options
    Similar to reading Cronks tales, your position in these races is crazy inspiring. I honestly can't imagine your position, and I'm confident I will read a KONA RR from you
  • Options

Probably one of the best Race reports I have read with the commentary, pictures, data detail and humor.

You hour by hour power profile is a thing of beauty and you did that wet with an average temp of 51 degrees!  Shaking my head.......

Thank you so much for sharing this great and well written report!

Also, you're a HUGE leader here at EN and your mental toughness and execution skills for 2015 have been shown to be off the charts after these two very tough IMs!

Keep leading and moving forward!

SS

• Options
    WOW! Congrats on surviving hell, and hell freezing over IM's! UGH! Amazed at your drive, execution and focus. The humor and insight is the frosting on your race report cake. Thank you for sharing your experience!
  • Options
    Consistent in any condition..... Talk about extremes from the surface of the sun to the frozen tundra , absolutely blown away by your ability to race at the pointy end under such different extreme days .....Your goal is to outright KQ.... Looking at your splits/rankings , even with the 5' mechanicals you are completely dominating the bike with nobody even in the same zip code , transitions are right at the top, so there is very little room in those 2 with the exceptions of adjusting that chain catcher to save you those 5'.... The swim may have a couple min in it with just picking a better line.... Congrats on the HUGE 20' run PR , ranking/time wise the run looks to be the limiter.... Run focus with maybe a fall marathon (more speed than volume as you have more than demonstrated durability) ? Body Comp - 2"sec per mile per lb = 52" sec per lb on the marathon and that adds up quick... Try a FLAT course ? Start a JE FOP breakthrough thread?
  • Options
    Loved your report Jenn and I'm glad I didn't see you on the course.....because that meant you were really moving. By reading your report you are helping me get over my disappointment of that day. It was great to meet you on Monday after the race!
  • Options

Respect. On so many levels. My jaw was agape as I read this...

What to do different next time? Maybe you've max'd out the effect of a high volume training cycle, and need (a) a good 4-6 week recovery period and (b) run and swim speed focus.

• Options

Ahhhh back from a week of reflection to many many kind thoughts and input.  THANK YOU! .

I love the week after Ironman at the end of a season - it's great reflection and planning time!  I think my goals for the year are #1 body comp and #2 run form.  I've got the volume thing down, not  great deal more I can do there although Coach P always seems to find another hack - we'll see!  Al we have talked about body comp before and it's just something I need to get my head around and DO. And yes Tim, LOTS of running!

#1 Body Comp: I've lost a couple of additional pounds/ year (since my initial loss of 80#) but I need to do something different to really make a dent.  A loss of 12# would put me at 4.0 w/kg (assuming I did' those any FTP, but didn't gain any either) and looking a lot more like those pointy end runners.  

#2: Run Form - I've been informed on many occasions I'm really a "fast shuffler" not a "real runner" and I may need a coach on the ground or at least some video analysis to overcome it.  

I'm super proud of the run PR and will use that to keep my confidence up in the coming year of training.   Meeting with Coach P on an outside consult shortly to hash out my season plan.  

One of many things I love about this team is we hold each other accountable. We don't just blow smoke up each others asses and say "get 'em next time..." we say "nice job" and "here's what you can do better..." that's how we ALL find the best in ourselves.

THANK YOU for that and Cheers!  

• Options
    Hey Jenn — as a bit of a lurker, I have been following your progress with great delight and awe! You are so formidably determined while remaining upbeat and still retaining your very funny sense of humour.

As your post shows, you are still examining where you can still make improvements, which is good.
    I really don't have anything much to suggest you look at, as the WSM's and Coach P appear to have those things under consideration.

I just wanted to point out that to really max out your genetic endowment takes quite a number of years. For example, middle distance track runners usually don't peak until they are in their late 20s, usually after getting serious with the sport in their mid-teens. So while your interest remains, I would encourage you to (try) and take a longer view of your journey rather than just to focus on where that journey can take you next year.
  • Options
    Congrats on your race. I've followed your races for a long time now and clearly you are a major AG contender. Screw the legacy program, you should target outright KQ. Looking at the results, it seems to me that even with an HR-based breakthrough on the run, you still need breakthrough #2 on the run. Perhaps you need to step back from IM training and REALLY focus on the run...for example an 18-week run-only build to an open marathon where you're doing 60+mpw including 3 quality workouts per week. Or alternatively a Cronk-like volume approach where you run long a slow but run a LOT and end up with a couple of ultramarathons under your belt. Many options. But clearly the run is where you need to have your gains. I really look forward to continuing to follow your progress. Cheers, Matt.
  • Options
    Goodtimes, Jenn! Great racing with you. This was a really challenging day and I think your results should be compared to those challenges. You are one tough cookie!
  • Options
    That was just an amazing race recap Jenn. Thank you for your thoughtful and detailed write up of what sounded like a tough day all around. I look forward to following your journey to outright qualify for Kona as I feel you have the ability and dedication to do so. Keep working hard, I'm confident your day will come!
  • Options

Jenn - It's been fun to follow your build for CDA and IMC and you are no doubt you one of the hardest workers on the team!   I agree 100% with Matt, you WILL KQ outright, it's just a matter of time.  You are consistently in the mix and it's just a question of timing and putting yourself in the right place at the right time.  All that being said, we all have limiters and continuing to chip away at your run is where i think you will find the biggest gains.  I'm not taking anything away from your PR run performance.  That's awesome and indicates what you are doing is working, but continuing to focus on your run durability/strength seems like where your opportunity lies.  Also, i know you like the CDA/Canada 1, 2 punch, but maybe consider flatter courses that play better to your strengths.  Either way, you are right there and it's not question of if, but when you KQ. Congrats on yet another great race and an awesome season!

• Options
    great work.   keep working it.    I certainly understand the mental ups and downs.     follow the process and it will happen.    Canada next year!
  • Options
    You are one tough racer!!

Man, those conditions sound miserable. X2 on pissing off the weather Gods this season...

Thanks for being so open with your thoughts, analysis, and processes. Your leadership in the haus is noteworthy, and your consistency is extremely impressive.

I said this last year, and I stand by my words - You WILL race on the big island. Stick with it, and it is not a question of if, but unfortunately when. I wager it will be on the shorter side of this time spectrum.

Congrats on another successful IM!
  • Options

So as it turn out there is more to the story.  The “news” is that the 1st place finisher in my age group was just disqualified for cheating making my official result at IMC 5th.  How do I feel?  Mixed!  On one hand I’m a bit sad we didn’t get to experience the podium with our friends and teammates  in Whistler.  I’m a bit MORE sad for the woman that now is going to Kona.  She was cheated out of accepting her Kona slot with HER friends and family.   And I’m more than a little sad for our sport.  It is, after all a game that we are all fortunate enough to play.  I mean really, how lucky are we?  We get to run around, swim and ride our bikes like little kids and call it an adult hobby!  On the other hand, this explains why results were moving around after the race and makes the awkwardness of the awards ceremony a little less awkward.  Plus the podium streak is now at three!  Bottom line: I’m GRATEFUL to be able to participate in the sport at all.  

Details from a super sleuth:  https://www.evernote.com/shard/s257/sh/f2807f22-45db-4db7-b656-0b3d4c04f70a/70ec36dda244f9a3

Slowtwitch thread that includes a (fairly) civil conversation after her statement:  http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Statement_from_Julie_Miller,_IM_Canada_KQ_->_DQ__P5670822/

Slowtwitch thread that includes a lot of super sleuthing that brings this and many other of her results into question: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Age_Group_Cheat_at_IM_Canada_P5666460

Slowtwitch thread that continues the conversation in a more civil manner: http://forum.slowtwitch.com/forum/Slowtwitch_Forums_C1/Triathlon_Forum_F1/Ironman_Canada_Results_P5667160/

Let’s all go forth and be awesome within the rules, shall we?

Cheers!

• Options

Has the discrepancy between the two run times been explained? Sorry, I saw the thread on ST but didn't read the whole thing. 

When I race IMWI'11 my chip was really lose when I got on the bike. While trying to fix it, it came off in my hand and rather than stop to put it back on, I put it in singlet pocket and put it back on T2. As such the results show me with a funky bike split, or no split I think, probably as combined T1, bike, T2 times. 

If this happens again I'll be sure to stop the bike and put the chip back on 

• Options
    Jenn - congratulations on your podium performance!

Given that her other results are in question I would classify her response as identical to those busted for doping who then profess their innocence...aka, the BIG LIE. In 8+ years of triathlon racing, I've only 'temporarily' lost my chip one time on a swim run-in at a local sprint (immediately turned around and found it in the water). Since then I always use a safety pin on the strap. You do not lose a chip on the run leg repeatedly in major competitions.

But really, is anyone surprised at this? Even with the most minimal age group testing, it seems like I am always reading about age group KQ people being busted. And who has not witnessed extended, purposeful, wheel-sucking drafting on the bike? And just this year, there have been significant discussions about open marathon course-cutters. What we see in the press is just the tip of the iceberg on how much cheating there really is. Triathlon is every bit as dirty as all the other sports out there. I still love to race, but I'm a lot more sober about my chances as an on-the-bubble athlete since I no longer trust that I'm competing on a level playing field.
  • Options

Things I learned reading the ST threads:

• She took off the chip in T2 to put on compression socks/calf sleeves, and (?) forgot to put it back on
    • Extensive sleuthing of official on course photos (the ones we all try to look good for) show her in some, not in others.

Temptations to cheat affect us all; the difference is how we respond to them. Personal disclosure: in 2005, @ IM Wisconsin, I noticed that one turn around did not have a timing mat. There was an aid station in some trees which served both sides of this section of  out n back/loop. It was a very hot day, and I was dragging. I lusted in my heart to simply pop into a porta potty on the way out, then leave in the other direction. I would've saved maybe 10-15 minutes. With an inner sigh, I kept to the straight and narrow, and finished with my worst time ever (to that point in time.) I also ended up with my first KQ. I don't think I would've been able to live with myself if I had taken advantage of that "opportunity".

Jenn, your performance remains the same, regardless of what others did. Your double CDA/Whistler in those conditions, with those (time) results is the stuff of EN legend.

• Options

Here are the deets from the super sleuth:

Bib Number:    698

Age Group:      F 40-44

BRIEF:

Julie Miller’s race splits at the 2015 Ironman Canada were flagged as unusual by numerous people. Various details raised concerns but nothing concrete could be found, times seemed unusual to say the least and the observations of other athletes, despite painting a picture, were rightly dismissed as not hard facts.

A look in to the history of race times threw up one or two red flags. Some phenomenal times in key races such as World Championship Qualifiers and World Championships putting Julie Miller in amongst, or well above olympians, elite and professional racers - both on the bike and on the run - when other race results would seem to indicate that Julie Miller was not at that standard.

The goal was to ignore heresay and ‘questionable’ results. To establish Julie as a bona fide winner of the Female 40-44 Ironman Canada or, through concrete evidence, show that she may have not completed the course.

PROCESS:

The main image below shows Page 3278 of Finisher Pix from Ironman Canada 2015. It depicts various athletes at almost exactly the 2.2km / 22.3km timing mat. A fact established by various Whistler natives / racers who viewed these images, the beach in the background, the angle of the sun, and people remembering the both the photographer and also the timing mat. Staff at Ironman also confirm the timing mat location.

Athletes pictured here are:

Mark Reith - Bib # 261 (Image 1106-052435 + 5)

Thomas Sharp - Bib #1200 (Image 1106-052436 + 7)

Chris Erion - Bib #1863 (Image 1106-052438 + 40 + 41)

Julie Miller - Bib #698 (Image 1106-052439) 

Robert Ellsworth - Bib #983 (Image 1106-052442 + 3 + 4)

Robert Ellsworth is also just visible in the same image as Julie Miller.

Having established that these athletes are at that mat together, we needed to establish what time they got there.  By looking at their run start time we can also see the speed at which they got there. Thankfully the photographer location is at the 2.2km and 22.3km timing mat and splits are available.

Only Julie does not have a run split for the 2.2km / 22.3km timing mat all of the other athletes do. For the other athletes, these are their ...
    • Official run start times
    • Race time at the mat
    • The time it took them to get from run start to that timing mat
    • Their paces.

NB: Chris Erion and Robert Ellsworth were on their first loop. The other two were on their second loop. The athlete speed is irrelevant at this stage, we are just establishing a total race time at this exact point, to see who was here and at what time.

POSITION ON THE RUN COURSE

Name

Bib

Run Start

Race time at mat

2.2 / 22.3k

Run Time

Pace

Thomas Sharp

6:54.43

8:43.53

1:49.10

4:54 m/km

Mark

Reith

6:49.18

8:43.48

1:53.30

5:08 m/km

Chris

Erion

8:43.33

(1st Lap)

6:44 m/km

Robert Ellsworth

8:31.41

8:44.07

(1st Lap)

5:39 m/km

None of those figures are particularly relevant, other than the race time that they were at the mat - shown in red. This shows us how long into the race these people were at that location.

Screen captures for each athlete showing run split data from ‘Ironmobile’ app.

JULIE MILLER POSITIONING

Julie Miller was in between Robert Ellsworth and Chris Erion. Robert Ellsworth is in fact pictured (just) on the left the photograph of Julie Miller.

So … we know, almost within seconds, at what time Julie Miller crossed the 22.3km timing mat. She was in a picture about 10 seconds in front of Ellsworth, and that time was within seconds of 8hrs 44mins

So, let’s add Julie Miller’s info to the table.

Bib

Run Start

Race time at mat

2.2 / 22.3k

Run Time

Pace

Thomas Sharp

6:54.43

8:43.53

1:49.10

4:54 m/km

Mark

Reith

6:49.18

8:43.48

1:43.30

5:08 m/km

Chris

Erion

8:43.33

(1st Lap)

6:44 m/km

Robert Ellsworth

8:31.41

8:44.07

(1st Lap)

5:39 m/km

Julie

Miller

8:44.00

1:27.10

3:54m/km

There is also an additional time issue …. . Julie did not have a run start time. She had a bike finish time of 7.17.50 but no T2 split. So we have to add in a T2 time.

Bear in mind those around her were rushing to a 2 minute T2 whilst wearing the same clothes as they did on the bike. However, Julie changed completely, removed all of her clothing, added run shorts, run top, compression socks and a jacket. Even 3 minutes for T2 would be very quick ….. but let’s give her that speedy time anyway. Moving her run start time from 7:17.50 to 7:20.50. 

Julie

Miller

8:44.00

1:24.10

3:46m/km

CONCLUSION:

Julie Miller allegedly ran the first 22.3km of Ironman Canada at a pace of 3:46 per km, in the sun whilst wearing a jacket.

To put that into perspective …. 

It is a 2:38.56 marathon pace.

It is a World Class Professional Male Ironman pace.

In fact, very few people can run that pace, even professionals.

Julie Miller allegedly ran the first 22.3km faster than Viktor Zymentsev, Kyle Buckingham (Kyle did not do one run split below 4min per km) and destroyed the woman pro leader who could only manage 4:33 min/km from run start to 22.3km. That pace is, in fact, quicker than Mark Allen’s famous run during the IronWar in Kona. I am not 100% sure but it is very likely a female world record for the first 22.3km of an Ironman run split ….. by some margin.

• Options
    Wow, that's a detailed report! Someone(s) put a lot of work into that!

FYI, just hit you with an invite to do another RR podcast so please check your inbox. Thanks!
  • Options
    man oh man, I read through all the slow twitch stuff and the reports that you posted. What in the world is wrong with people. and once you connect all the dots it's clear that this is so deliberate and a chosen life style of sorts. All a fake. Hope she gets banned for a long time if not forever. One of her pictures during the race she just has such a guilty look on her face. And her hiding her bib just pisses me off.

This also happens in the middle of the Pack. Remember the IMFL 2012 girl who got caught doing only one lap of the swim and one lap of the run. She was later DQed...it still bothers me that she has a finishers medal somewhere in her closet.