Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Ville Mojo Thread- Week 11, 3-9 August

Another week in the books, another week to get after it.  Keep crushing it everyone and let us know how those workouts are going.  Some are good, some are bad, but they all help you and everyone else see the truth behind the bravado.  Build that support and team spirit.  Keep those posts coming!

Comments

• Options
    Made the journey to my 'regular' pool today (as I needed to pick up some sports nutrition and options are limited here). Good - 3k in a 50 meter pool - YEAH, love me some 50 meter pool! Bad - everyone and their brother shows up, very few of whom actually swim a 'swim workout'. Most are jumping in and out in the middle of their CrossFit (r.e. no googles, don't want to get their hair wet, swimming in shoes - no really). So it was fun and I got generally in the ball park of the assigned intervals, but not always.

Also found out we've got another typhoon coming at us, looking to swipe us Thursday or Friday. These things always seem to ruin weekends, why don't they ever hit on Tuesday???
  • Options
    I think I'm back in the swing of things. After my my race two Saturdays ago, I was traveling (which meant hours and hours in my car), playing catch up at work, and had zero mojo to top it off -- so I took it easy. Woke up this morning dark and early to get my swim done. It was only a 2000, but that's better than last week, so I'll take it.

@Roy - great job on the swim! I used to live right around the corner from a 50 meter pool. It was the best thing ever. Always busy, but when the pool is only a 2 minute walk away, it made getting in the pool easy. Now I'm stuck in a 25y, 2 lane pool unless I'm willing to drive 30 minutes or more depending on traffic. So that only happens on special occasions -- like, big days and race rehearsals.
  • Options
    @ Roy - I will trade you a typhoon for weeks of endless rain! Severe thunderstorms started rolling in around 3am this morning and continued for 4 hours before transitioning to just heavy rain. Indoor pools are pretty rare down here. I swim in 5 different outdoor pools and no sense even trying this morning due to lightning. I slept a little longer then drove through the deluge to get in a 40 min weight workout at Snap Fitness. I have a massage scheduled this evening and will probably run several miles after that. Meanwhile, Tampa streets are flooded all over the place, mandatory evacuations of some low lying areas started, and a number of emergency shelters have opened up.
  • Options
    @Paul - I don't know if there are any indoor pools on island here. I know there aren't any on any of the military bases that I frequent. We fall prey to the teenage life guards with owl ears that hear thunder when there are no clouds in the sky (thereby a mando 30 minute shutdown). First world problem.

@Jennifer, I'm a little spoiled right now. My office, my house, a gym, a library, and a 25 meter pool are all within a half mile of me. Unfortunately, my 25 meter pool closes at the end of the month and then it will be the 50m until next June. The 50m pool is good, but its a bit of a drive on another base and the majority of its patrons are not you would call 'swimmers'. Makes structured workouts challenging to say the least.

7 mile run with 2 @ TP this morning. Temps were a more bearable this morning, so I hit the intervals a bit fast. Since I'm running in the dark, I pace these mostly by PE. Good run.
  • Options
    @ Roy - we have the same 1st world problem. I have complained for years that the teen lifeguards will hear a pine cone drop and claim it is thunder so they can go back inside and play on their phones.
  • Options
    3k swim at lunch. Tuesday swims are slower for me because I don't have decades of swim endurance in my upper body (unlike running and biking) and I always feel Monday swim fatigue in my arms. But got it done. The bath tub temperature of the water didn't help :/
  • Options

Got my swim in yesterday @2700 yrds in the 25 yd pool at the YMCA.  Don't think there are any 50 yd pools anywhere near that I can use.  I wonder if my T Time would improve in a 50 yrd pool without touching the wall and turning around so much (no flip turns here). 

Weather has improved here and is not nearly as hot as it was.  Running should be more enjoyable this week with primo Wisconsin weather in the upper 70s. 

• Options
    @Stephen, my 50 meter swim times are slower than 25 m swim times by a few seconds per lap. Less pushes off the wall mean less speed. And while I 'can' do flip turns, I don't unless sharing lanes with other fishes. I miss every 10th or so turn and feel like an idiot image

6 miles on the road this morning at EP. Looking to hit the trainer after work for the intervals.

Keep on it everyone!
  • Options
    Big Tuesday - started with 95 mins threshold work on the drainer this morning. Pulled out a classic - the original Max Max (the Road Warrior) to get me through. Included a 25 min warm-up, then 10 + 15 mins at 96.5% of my new FTP and another 2 x 12 mins Z3, all the rest easy. Swam 2000 yards hard at lunch, then ran 4 miles this evening including 2 x 5 mins hard.

@ Stephan - Gerry Rodriquez advises that except for top swimmers, short course pools are better, especially for triathletes, because they give you twice the opportunity to set up for a good stroke compared to a long course pool.
  • Options
    Bike intervals done, 8/12 @ FTP and then ~25 of 80% with some Zwift KOM's thrown in for good measure (the road segments, not winning actual jersey's). Good way to end the day.

Keep on it everyone and keep those posts coming!
  • Options
    Ran on dreadmill Monday and did 2x1 (7:14,6:54) for total 6.2 miles. Swam 2600 yds on Tuesday. Moved long run to this morning and did 11 with friends. May have to add a few miles later today. Will do FTP work on bike tomorrow and then have Lake Logan 70.3 on Saturday. Not much rest going in but that was the plan.
  • Options

Thanks for the posts, I read them in the morning to help me get motivated and get out there.  @Jay good luck with the race this weekend.   

About to go and do my run now, and then will hit the bike intervals this evening after work.   (Update) Just finished run and was dragging.  Had hoped to get up to zone2, but felt light headed and didn't have energy to push it. Decided to cut it short at 36 minutes.   Hopefully, I will have more energy for the bike tonight. 

• Options
    @Jay - Good luck this weekend! Execute like a ninja.

@Stephen - sometimes something is better than nothing. Take care and rest up.

12 miles and some change this morning. 82 degrees, 100% humidity, and 97 degree heat index at 0430 out the door. Lost ~7.5 lbs (with 2 gels and a full sports bottle in route). Fun times. I'm going to spend all day today rehydrating.
  • Options
    @Jay - Good luck and have fun!
    @Stephen - Hope you're feeling better!
    @Ray - where are you with that crazy heat/humidity? That's nuts.

Swam this morning, then did my 2x1 run. Basically, I did yesterday's workout today. Oops. Planning for my long run in the early morning. I've got my big day this weekend, and need to figure out my plan for that.
  • Options
    Felt yesterday's workouts when I got up this morning. Swam 3500 yards using Monday's workout that I missed due to storms. But the pool was 83F and I was fried after the main set. I had intended to run 3 miles after but my heart rate was up and I pulled the plug on that. Tonight I got on the drainer for 78 mins doing another Spinervals tape that included 1 x 60 mins straight Z2 set. I just put my powerbeam on erg mode and increase/decrease cadence as instructed.

Meanwhile, I am refilling my triathlon stock. Yesterday, 2 bottles of S caps that I had ordered arrived. Today, a case of PickleJuice Sport arrived. That should last me about 2 years.
  • Options

18 mi run today.  Started out cloudy and fairly cool, 80 degree's.  That lasted 9 mi and then the rain came.  Still better than 90+ degree's or the dreadmill!

Good work all!

• Options
    Busy, busy week of training. Sunday was a 3+ mile warmup run followed by a 70mile (4hr) ride. M, T ran 5.5m (3% incline 10" Z2) and 4m (2x1 @Z5) and swam 1.3miles and 2.4miles, Wed biked 1:30 on the trainer with multiple sets of FTP work, then a 12 mile Progressive Pace Long run this morning. Feeling strong during each of my workouts and hope this trend continues. All eyes on the long wko this Saturday. Good news is the 90degree heat and humidity here in VA will be lifting today…yay!!!

Keep up the great work everyone! Oh and Im coming around on the GE…still super sweet but not as awful as the first day. And the lemon is way better than the orange. Think we can request IM serve that in Lou, haha!
  • Options
    Nice work on those runs Alan and Danielle.

@Danielle, prior to coming out here to Okinawa (Jennifer image ) I spent three years in Quantico so I know how blazing hot that NOVA summer is. Fun times.

6 miles at EP to start my day. That latest typhoon has decided to swing south of us, but I was still blown around this morning by some decent winds. All in days work!

Keep on it everyone.
  • Options

Did a trainer ride last night instead of going out on the bike.  It is weird, but I have actually gotten to the place where I enjoy riding on the trainer especially when trying to hit FTP intervals.  Much easier to do on a trainer for me.  Plus, the logistics are so much easier.  The other side is, wow it is gorgeous here in Wisconsin right now, I should get out there and enjoy it.   I have my road bike on the trainer and struggle to hit ftp, so I shorted the second set to 10 minutes rather than 12.   Overall, a good workout.

This morning I got in my long run and kept zone1.  zone 1 is such a large spread for me,  from 9:37 to 8:15,  I averaged 9:13 over the @12miles. Felt better than my run yesterday morning. 

• Options
    Bear with me, as this will be a bit long since it's my first post!

OK, where to begin... First off, I've been following the weekly threads, but this has been my first post. I'm on week 11 of the IM intermediate plan, and, for the most part, I've gotten in most of the workouts and hitting my numbers. Swims have been OK. I'm not the fastest guy in the pool, but I'm not the slowest, either. Admittedly, I broke down and bought a waterproof iPod Shuffle and headphones for my indoor swims. Sheer boredom was causing me to cut my longer swims short until I got ahold of them. I actually look forward to long swims now!

This morning I got in 11 miles before 7am! That's the first long run I've done in the AM, ever. If you told me to do 11 miles before work 3 months ago, I'd be hobbling around all day. Instead, I was a tad sore at work, but following a plan clearly works.

Did what will be my last FTP test before Louisville last week and it's sitting at 228. For me, at 47, I can't complain much about that. Time to focus on training around that number and feeling solid for 6+ hours and fresh for the run afterwards.

This weekend I have a 6 hour test (1hr swim, 4hr bike and 1hr run). Should be no problem making it through that, then it's a light week after that. IM Timberman 70.3 up in NH next Sunday. I think I'm prepared for that.

That said, here's where the craziness comes in... I'm going through a divorce and I decided after several months of trying to live in the same house that it's time to move into my own place. So, between now and Labor Day I have to do the following:

- coordinate/oversee contractor work being done on the house I'm moving to

- coordinate/oversee contractor work being done in the current house I'm in so it can go on the market

- pack up my belongings to move 7 miles down the road.

- actually move said belongings

- work (45+ hours/week)

- go on a 4 day business trip

- train (the only thing keeping me sane!)

- eat and stay hydrated (a constant battle)

- sleep (really, this would be nice, cuz I'm not getting a lot right now!!!)

I do have some vacation time thrown in there just after the 70.3, but let me tell you, if I can make it through the next 4 weeks, the damn IM will be nothing!!!

Keep up the posts, they are inspiring!

Thom
  • Options
    @ Alan - wow!

Today - a "regressive" run from Z1 to Z0 in 8 miles. Utterly croaked in the heat and humidity this morning. Came back for a much quicker 2.15 miles this evening. I suck. That is all.
  • Options
    Nice workouts everyone!
    @Roy hope that Typhoon heads out into sea or something, hate bad weather on weekends.

We on the other hand have heat, triple digit temps as far as the forecast goes, kind of depressing but it is August in Texas. The floods we had seem a distant memory.
    1:10 bike + 2 mile run on Tuesday
    2400 swim + 5 mile run Wednesday
    12 mile run today, the last few miles were not pretty but done.

@Jay good luck on the race!
  • Options

@Paul, Anu,  you are both incredible running in that heat with tired legs.   As long as you don't heat stroke, I can't imagine you won't be tougher and better prepared for the suck of the run coming up.

@Thom,  great to see you here. Welcome.   Sorry about the life changes that are in your life right now. Hope you have lots of support emotionally, socially, and spiritually to get through the  tough times.   Hang in there and keep your chin up.  Post frequently and keep in touch.  We will walk with you through the next 4 weeks and then some.  Good luck at your 70.3 and see you in Louisville.  Our group is going to rock that race.

• Options
    @Anu - looks like its starting to pick back up! Great work and keep after it.

@Thom - Welcome! Don't let that be your last post. With everything you have going on, focus on what's important (everything not Ironman), get some workout love where you can, and remember that sometimes "Something is better than nothing". Good luck and just surviving through that bear of a mess will be an achievement.

4k in the pool this afternoon. Apparently driving wind blows off all the other swimmers so the pool crew watched me swim and performed pool maintenance (scrubbing slime off the gutters) while I got my work done. Interesting to see what tomorrow brings as far as weather. Dare to dream that I may be able to get outside. I'm bumping the big day in favor of the 'standard' RP+ and ABP rides this weekend. Needing the volume because I'm getting ready to start our 'Superbowl' exercise and the hours will be bearish for the next three weeks.

Keep on the gas everyone and let us hear how it is going!
  • Options

@Paul "Regressive" Run, love the name, we have all done plenty of those (at least I have)

@Thom Hang in there and keep posting

@Roy That's dedication

Ran 50 min today and swam 30 min's.  First training swim since bike accident, if you don't count the 7 min's I tried last weekend.  Wrist was a bit tender, but actually felt better with time.

• Options
    We are in the height of summer now. It was 82 air temperature at bedtime last night. I got up to swim and it had cooled off to 81. Drove to the pool and the water was 84! Fortunately, I brought 2 sports drinks to get me through it and made 3700 yards.

Tonight I hit the weight room for 35 mins and then ran 4 miles.

Storms are going to roll in tonight and through the morning so I am going to have to hack the plan and start Saturday with a long trainer ride. It's deja vu all over again!

@ Thom - you have a significant amount of both physical and life stress going on at the moment ... making you highly susceptible to illness. If you feel rundown then err on the side of rest. Better to show up race day a little undertrained than sick or not able to race at all. Keep your head up.

• Options
    3.5 hours on the trainer. Fun times. Working on race day nutrition practice.
  • Options
    @ Roy - 3.5 hours on the trainer is tough! Great job!
    @Thom - hang in there, and thanks for sharing. You're dealing with a lot! Just keep moving forward and do what you can.
    @ Paul - 84 degrees in the pool! That's crazy. Way to plan ahead with the fluids.
    @ Alan - ouch - I can't imagine swimming with a painful wrist. Glad it started to feel better!
    @ Anu - Awesome work!
    @ Jay - Hope the race is awesome!

As for me - my Big Day ended up being a Medium Day. My big takeaway is that it is probably not best to spend the day before a big day, race rehearsal, or race for that matter, at a theme park. I earned some SAUs for going, and had some fun, but it did not help with my efforts today. Here's how it went - I spent an hour in the pool, and did the 4 hour bike ride. But when I got off the bike, my lower back was killing me. I ended up cutting the run short. Everything was incredibly slow for me today. I think I need to work on some drills in the pool. I'm finding that I'm inconsistent (some days I'm quick (for me at least) and other days I feel like I'm dragging a lead weight (this happens when I'm tired especially). In short I think I revert to bad habits -- definitely want to work on that. The bike went well, but I didn't eat or drink enough. And somehow I started riding with a random stranger, and my pacing plan went a little by the wayside. It made the 4 hours go by quickly, but may not have been the best thing for me. As for the run...well, I was basically walking. My lower back was incredibly tight and painful when I got off the bike. I need to evaluate my position I guess. I usually don't have that problem, so not sure why today was different. I have a feeling the walking and lack of hydrating yesterday while having fun, may have played into my troubles today. Overall all though I feel decent because my 70.3 went well 2 weeks ago.

Keep up the great work everyone!
  • Options
    @ Jennifer - sounds like you did most of the big day. What's not to like? Great job.

I lucked out this morning and the storms came late so I was able to swim 3000 yards first thing, but it cost me 30 mins admin time each way to find a pool open early on Saturday. T1 included a 30min nap. By then the storms were here, so off to the drainer for 4hrs 16 mins. I set my powerbeam to erg mode for the 5x25min intervals and watched Mad Max, Beyond Thunderdome and the Hurt Locker plus a little facebook time. Then another 30min nap in T2. Yeah, I'm old. Did a few honey-do errands and then got out for a 40min run. Didn't make the hour, but she-who-must-be-obeyed wanted me back for dinner. This is only Day 6 of this 21 day build so no rest day tomorrow although I will cut back some.
  • Options
    Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement. Really meant a lot, even though I haven't meant any of you at this point.

Competed one of those lovely tests today. 3,000 yards in the pool, 73 miles on the bike and a 6.5 mile run (at 59 mins... I just wasn't in the mood to run another minute!). All told, I feel pretty good. I lost 5lbs, so I'm glad I'm off tomorrow to put all the fluid back in me.

Definitely ready for Timberman next week!

Random thought... at the 3:38 mark on the bike, I was craving protein so bad that my though process went like this: "Oooo, would I love a hamburger right now. No Wait! A steak! Or a giant, Dagwood-like sandwich... Jeez! I feel like my body is eating itself..." It was at that point that I happened to lick the Gatorade off my finger and the next thought was, "Oooo, maybe I can eat my finger!"

Oh the thoughts that go through an endurance athlete's mind!!!!!