Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Arizona
Options

Swim Start 2015

From WTC: 

"...The course will remain a one-loop swim and follow a clockwise flow, with athletes exiting the same stairs that they entered from. Athletes will enter the water in a continuous stream through a controlled access point at the stair entrance as they enter the water, similar to how running road races are started. An athlete's time will start when they cross timing mats at the stairs. Athletes will be directed to self-seed on race morning based on their projected swim time. Volunteers and staff will be in the staging area with signs and will assist with this process. Self-seeding will not be mandatory, but will be encouraged.

The professional men's field will start their day at 6:40 a.m., and the professional women will start at 6:45 a.m.  Age group athletes will follow at 6:50 a.m.  We anticipate that all athletes will be in the water by 7:20 a.m. All athletes will still be given the 2 hour 20 minute time limit to complete the swim portion of the race; however, the current overall cut-off times for both the bike and run course, as well as any intermediate cut-offs, will remain in place..."

This is a bit problematic. Slower racers (who are presumably usually slower swimmers) will be strongly tempted to seed themselves up to 20 minutes faster, in order to increase their chances of making the midnight overall cut-off. This will be bad for both them and those whoa re seeding approrpriately, as the slower get pummeled and swum over by the faster. Also, the pro women are bound to get caught up, either on the swim or the bike, with the fastest age groupers. Not fair to them.

There's a lot of room to spread out once we hit the water. I;m going to have to think a bit about both where to seed myself (I'm aiming for a 1:12 swim) and how to maneuver in the first 400 meters.

Comments

• Options
    Al , For some reason I didn't realize you were racing IMAZ again ... Awesome... Agree with thoughts... Look forward to seeing the map since its changing from counter-clockwise to clockwise and also exiting the same place as entering.... Besides the few hiccups , arguments about fairness, racing , and cut-offs , not warming up, etc , I for one really welcome the rolling start... Just so much better....To argue in favor of the BOP that may have started at the back of a MASS start (the clock starts at the same time but they dont move past the start line for quite a while) with a rolling start it starts at the exact same point for everybody (just like a running race) to me that is the most fair for all ....I've done 8 Mass starts (4rolling starts) and have another Mass start in KONA coming up but in general they are way over-rated IMO and much prefer the rolling start...
  • Options
    This sounds a bit problematic for sure. I would not call myself a slow racer, however my swim times tend to be slower during my races. I'll say maybe 1:15 to 1:18 for this course. It seems like everyone's swim times are going to be slower.
  • Options

Posted By Al Truscott on 07 Aug 2015 02:23 PM

From WTC: 

"

Age group athletes will follow at 6:50 a.m.  We anticipate that all athletes will be in the water by 7:20 a.m. All athletes will still be given the 2 hour 20 minute time limit to complete the swim portion of the race; however, the current overall cut-off times for both the bike and run course, as well as any intermediate cut-offs, will remain in place..."

It says 2:20 swim cut off time but doesn't define when your 2:20 starts. Is it clock time or chip time? For every other SwimStart...start...it goes by chip time vs clock time, correct? Poor Swimmer Pete is last in line and gets in at 7:20 but his 2:20 starts at 7:20, not a 6:50. I'm pretty sure this is how it works. 

Regarding the midnight/17hr cut off thing, if they figure it will take 30' to get everyone in then I think they would want to start the AG swimmers earlier than 6:50. Plenty of light early in the AM in AZ, he says, knowing that Al will post sunrise here right away .

If you're not a good swimmer (Dana, your swim is fine) gaming this system and starting early in the line will set you up for a very, very bad day. Getting steamrolled by 2000 swimmers is a bad way to start an IM.

• Options
    What? Clockwise swim and enter/exit from the stairs? Oh boy, I better start swimming the opposite direction because I breath the other way. ??. Plus I've heard these stairs are rather slippery when wet.
  • Options
    Hummmm... I've been told it's a clockwise start yet the website says counterclockwise. I guess the timing mat will be at the stairs when entering so no more off the dock.
  • Options

Hey Al,

I think I read in another post that you might not be stopping by IMAZ. I'm bummed to hear that because you are the inspiration for me getting into EN and to some degree ending up in IMAZ this year. You are in my prayers for a great recovery and hope to be surprised to meet you in Tempe.