Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

IMWI Week 16 Thread - 4 weeks out

Sounds like everyone is putting in some great training sessions. Just a few more big bike weeks to go, how is everyone doing?

Comments

• Options
    Getting down to it now! I feel pretty good at this point, tired, but taking in the work. Last week was a bit of a hybrid with some rest coming after camp and then dialing it back up for the rest of the week. Heading into this week, I building up to try and get in some major volume next week before one more week and then taper starts. Body comp is coming around as I have dropped to a bit below race weight, at least before the weekends as that usually drives it back up for a day or two before it settles back down. All in all, I am feeling pretty good about things right now.
  • Options

Hitting it hard this week M-W, then a travel day on Thurs to Chattanooga (0530 flight...fook me), then the IMChat version of the IMWI. 2 days of riding + long run vs the 3 days I did on the IMWI. Since I'm not racing IMChat and I pretty much have my IM pacing and nutrition plan dialed in, I plan to do the rides about 5-10w hotter than I would if I were to do them as pure RR's. 

Then I have two big weeks, then taper. I've got my CTL up to 181 right now, projected to be up to ~200 by 8/30, with a final big weekend of cycling for 8/28-30. Then I swim my ass off while I do the TSS math and workout scheduling to bring to a good place by IMWI. Basically, my run taper starts about 2.5wks out, bike taper 13 days out, and about zero swim taper. 

I can definitely feel Short Timers Disease coming on, as I look towards the next 5wks and am (1) getting pretty tired of thinking about the race and (2) know I just need to suck it up for a few key workouts. 

Anyway...hungry again, time for about my 4th meal of the day before my 3rd workout of the day (PM climbing on the bike)

• Options
    I had a big pop in training volume this past week. I did back to back centuries followed by a 20 mile run yesterday. I am dialing in my race watts and nutrition and feeling generally good about the race. Today I am taking my first day off in a long time because my TSB is at -60. A day off really sucks eating wise image This week will be run focused for me, I am shooting for 50 miles. Next week will be a big bike week and then starts the taper!
  • Options

I moved all of Camp Week up one day.  Did 6 1/2 hr bike Sat with 6 mi run, 6 hr bike on Sun and 13 mi run today.  Being slow makes for long days.  It was very humid today.  Looking forward to a day off tomorrow!  Fell on the bike a few weeks ago and hurt my wrist, so swimming will need a fair amt of work in next few weeks.  

I'd be interested in thoughts on preparation for the mental side of such a long day, what works for you?

• Options
    Okay good week last week (not great), I pulled my Saturday/Sunday rides forward. Highlight was great long run on Thursday. Solid power on Friday ride. Lowlight, Saturday not holding any power/cut is short. Took an rest day on Sunday. Totals 6:41 bike, 3:31 run, 2:26 swim for 12:38 total. TSS total 648.7.

Monster week this week. Planning on Madison Open Water Swim 2.4 miles Saturday on Ironman course. Then long ride 112m with brick run for second race rehearsal. Been switching nutrition up to course product so should be interesting saturday with a solid plan.
  • Options
    Rich What's your three sport TSS for the week been average for last three or four weeks?
  • Options

Posted By Robert Sabo on 11 Aug 2015 08:02 AM

Rich What's your three sport TSS for the week been average for last three or four weeks?

• Options
    Last weekend was slow, pulled long ride into Friday and then travel to Steelhead to support hubby racing, and babysitting the girls. Fun weekend however not so good for the training schedule so planning this week and next for some bigger volume. Hamstring injury still reminds me I have been out of action for over a year so trying to balance going hard/long...with simply staying healthy. It's a tough balance as I want to do a lot more....however my leg continues to say "nope". Hmmm.

After camp week, decided to try course nutrition to see how it goes. Have been using Powerbar gels however for ease, going to see how GU works to make things simple as Coach Rich explained! Hope it's not to late to make a change...I know the golden rule is race with what you have been training on so let me know if I am being silly!

That said, off to get a swim in over lunch and will check back in with the team to see how everyone else is doing.
  • Options
    Training Camp Week is THIS week for Brett Tatum and myself. Will be doing our RR and additional long bike and run in Wichita starting Friday. Got new helmet, race wheels, and cassette, so I can't wait to test them out!

Finally getting over IT band issues and getting back to running after 2 weeks off (so hard...). Nutrition down pat and after a really comfortable long ride on Sunday. Had been trying to use course nutrition, but the gatorade endurance has too much sugar for me even when diluted. Was leading to GI on EVERY ride.

Bike Nutrition Per Hour:
    (x2) Nuun tablets in 60 oz. water total - I'm a heavy sweater
    (x1) PowerGel
    (x0.75) Bonk Breaker
    (x1) SaltStick Capsule

Can't wait to see you all at IMWI!!
  • Options
    My long ride on Saturday went well and got stronger in last hour and a half but fluid intake was 24oz GE per hour. My sweat test about 8 weeks ago was only 22 oz /hour but I will continue to try to up the fluid. I have been trying the base salts and really like them especially on long run.
  • Options

Also, just want to confirm that we are 5 vs 4 weeks out:

wk16 <-- this week<br />
    wk17

wk18

wk19

wk20 <-- race week</p>

That is all, carry on 

• Options

That is (one of the reasons) you are Coach -> You can count!! Sorry...

• Options
    Mike - are you serious? Have you ever added up the distance of Coach Rich's swim workout's in the plans? counting is not his forte.
  • Options

Posted By Robert Sabo on 11 Aug 2015 03:24 PM

Mike - are you serious? Have you ever added up the distance of Coach Rich's swim workout's in the plans? counting is not his forte.

True THAT!

• Options
    In an effort to up my volume the next few weeks, I'm finding ways to squeeze workouts in and just apologize for my sweaty self to my coworkers. Meeting 15 miles away- I'll bike there! I suggested a park to meet a kiddo I treat today based on a convenient run distance. When your life isn't suited for ironman training, make ironman training fit your life! And on that note, major kudos to everyone who is putting in major work training, working demanding jobs, and still keeping family number 1! That is something to be proud of!
  • Options
    got my long swim in yesterday morning and falling asleep at work(luckily in the office and not the operating room). Driving home the <10 minutes and trying to stay awake while I am having an internal argument about doing the evening run. Decided on not. This AM better rested did my FTP 2x 20 and 40 minute brick. Massage this afternoon. I want to be rested for big weekend of RR with brick on Saturday and then Century ride in PA hills (>6,000 ft climbing) on Sunday.
  • Options
    I had one of those awful runs this morning that just killed my confidence. On a logical level, I know you cannot at all gauge things on a single workout, but man, that was rough. Just 30 min, my pace was 30-40 seconds slower than a normal easy pace for me, felt like my legs were cement, knees, hips, and shins hurt. Ugh. Gotta shake it off, but right now I am not looking forward to tomorrows long run.
  • Options
    @ Rachel, one thing I learned during my 2013 Chicago Marathon training was not to fret a failed workout. Up to that point in my (very limited since 2011) endurance sports experience I had never experienced a failed workout. Then in that marathon build I was pushing myself all the time with a very aggressive training plan that drove a lot of running fatigue via volume. There were NUMEROUS failed workout. For example interval workouts where I got half a mile into the first of 6x mile repeats and just had to jog it in. Or the last MP workout about 10 days before the race where I ended up just jogging in the mileage because my legs just had nothing that day. It was so demoralizing and depressing, but I learned that these "blips" happen and that they are just "blips". ONWARD AND UPWARD!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Is everyone getting this scheduled golf sessions in too?

From IM Wisconsin site Nutrition Guide.

Carbs from Solid Foods
    During training and some competitions, solid
    foods can provide bulk and a feeling of fullness.
    For longer duration events, such as bike rides
    greater than 50 miles and golf, solid foods like
    fruit, sports bars, and breads are great sources
    of energy. For many high intensity or short
    duration competitions such as team sports,
    this is not the case, as solid foods require more
    time to digest.
  • Options
    Just got off the trainer after a good ride. Based on fatigue in my run this morning, I broke the 2x18 into 3x12 and was able to hit them all at 100%. A little worried that in 8 hrs I'll be turning it around for the long run, so time to be a good girl with some stretching and quality fueling! Hope everyone has awesome long runs! Chicago people (Lindsay and Matt!) lets bring some good running vibes to the lakefront path!
  • Options
    @Eric - Hah! That's great! Absolutely no golf for me.

@Rachel - Tried to send some good vibes to the lakefront path this morning - hope your run went well! Let's keep the vibes going as I won't make it out for my run until after work due to an early morning work call.

This week has been pretty steady for me but it's also the first week that I'm really starting to feel the fatigue and in addition to day dreaming about the finish line I've started day dreaming about life after Sept 13 a bit.
  • Options
    16.3 mi in this morning with a beautiful sunrise over the lake and especially strong chocolate aroma in the air towards downtown (Chicago people know what I'm talking about). Shins started out pretty painful but got better as I went and then no pain after mile 7. Ice ice baby is now my motto! Pace was slower than normal for me but still a solid run and started 9 hrs after an FTP ride.

Lindsay, that fatigue is totally to be expected! Remember don't follow the plan into a brick wall, and reach out to Coach P if you need some modifications. Try to be a superstar with nutrition and sleep, rumor has it that helps. Also totally normal to be looking forward to race day and life after ironman! Just a couple more weeks till the sweet sweet taper, hang in there! Remind yourself how fortunate you are to be able to do the training, and embrace how good it feels to push yourself physically and mentally. You are a badass!
  • Options
    After 4 months I have clawed my way back to the same run fitness I was in at the time of my accident. This morning I did a very similar workout that I did the day before the crash, with the same HR. I am excited to be back, but at the same time I feel like I lost 4 months image

I am also dealing with a very angry toenail. Link if you want to puke. Be warned, it is horrific:
  • Options

Posted By Peter Noyes on 13 Aug 2015 10:19 AM

I am also dealing with a very angry toenail. Link if you want to puke. Be warned, it is horrific:

To be honest, the worst part was all that hair.  Go get a wax Hobbit Foot...

• Options
    @Peter I follow you on instagram and I wish the warning came up on my feed before scrolling through that picture. Looks painful!
  • Options
    @John Don't worry, I will take care of it before the race. My toes will be aero. I have 4 sisters and they all say I have hobbit feet too. Maybe I really am a hobbit.
  • Options
    I took a foot and ankle continuing ed class 2 weeks after IMCDA. I tried to leave my socks on for the sake of my partner, but the instructor insisted I go barefoot. The look on her face seeing my mangled toenails was pretty priceless.
  • Options
    toenails should have their own Forum. :0
  • Options

*giggle*  Well, this seems a good a time as any to jump in an introduce myself to the group

Just coming out of 2 week transition post IMLP and into my first week (well week 16) of IM training plan.

Like the rest if you feeling a wee bit sluggish and fatigued. I'm loving the vibe of this group...can't wait to meet everyone at the team dinner.

Heading out for my first long run...fingers crossed the wheels don't come off too early. Happy training everyone!
  • Options
    Welcome @Natalie!

Finished my long run in the dark tonight, just chugged some chocolate milk and feet are up. Feels good to put a check mark next to another one of the big workouts.