Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Louisville
Options

IM Ville Mojo Thread- Week 13, 17-23 Aug

2»

Comments

• Options
    So everyone is getting nice weather but me. I checked accuweather today and our heat index at noon was 120. Tomorrow is supposed to be a refreshing 117 by 11am. I may be looking at a long day on the trainer. The worst is almost over though.

At Danielle - with rare exception (like IMLOU) my family comes to all my key races...especially out of country. However, the rule is that we eat all meals out, otherwise it is not a vacation for my wife (who happens to be an excellent chef trained at the Manhattan Culinary Institute before she decided to become a teacher).

Friday surge day!
    AM - 4300 yards in the pool, very strong, followed by 15 miles easy on the drainer with Spinervals #35, "Cycling Technique Focus"
    PM - stopped at Snap Fitness for 35 mins weights, then home for 30 mins weeding then a 4 mile slow jog in the heat vortex
  • Options

@Danielle, better be careful, Paul and I may pop in for some home cooked food since we will be bachelors.  I'm with you btw on those zone 5 3 x 5" workouts.  I have no idea how anyone can do that after the FTP work,  much less before it. Must be a typo. Maybe 3 x 1.5?  The get faster routine doesn't even attempt that I think.

@Paul got in my swim of 4400, only my second swim this week.  Coach P wants me to try to get up to 10,000 yards in a week.  I'm not there yet.  

@Roy, I'm guessing you are in the service?  I was stationed at Clark Airbase way back when...  I can't imagine what you are going through in that heat, not to mention the tension of knowing you aren't getting all the workouts in that you want to.  I like your attitude though.  Good to remember that life is more than triathlon. 

• Options
    @ Roy - hang in there. During my active duty career, I could never have been a triathlete. It was hard enough to be a single sport athlete!

I had a late start this morning because I was following a twitch hunt last night. Short version: F40-44 winner at IM Canada was DQ'd for cutting the course on the run ... allegedly intentional ... allegedly a pattern. Last night her name was on athlete tracker at #1 and this morning her name is gone. Kona slot retracted and rolled to #4. Sadly, this is not uncommon.

Looked at the hourly forecast and realfeel temp was 101 at 8am. So off to the gym for 4 miles on the treadmill including 1 x 1mi @ Z4. I drenched that machine but at least I could breathe. Next was 2000 yards in the pool. Did this early in case thunderstorms come in late afternoon. Next up is a long trainer ride. Real feel is already 116 so there is no way you can get an effective workout outdoors.
  • Options
    @Roy, I don't know how you do it or have the motivation. Can't imagine being on the other side of the world with all that is going on around you and find time to train. You are an inspiration for sure!
    @Stephan, come on over! Just beware, my form of cooking leading up to a race is pretty bland and boring. I love food, so I may have to figure out a way to become friends with Paul's wife (gourmet chef?! You are so lucky Paul!!)
    Just finished up a 4300m swim. Did the main set (3500) as a pull and I'm so happy that was an option because my legs were in no mood to kick today after yesterday's long run image.
  • Options
    @ Stephan - if you can swim 4400 yards in one session, then 10K per week is nothing.
    @ Danielle - I have done the main set of 3500 as a pull the last two weeks. My wife is a fantastic cook. The problem is that she has been trying to fatten me up over all these years and is slowly winning.

After running and swimming this morning, I pulled out all my willpower along with Spinervals #26, the Hard Core 100. Ended up with 5 hrs 41 mins on the drainer for 104 miles. This is not a constant easy ride. It is set after set, continually altering cadence, and getting progressively harder ending up with 3 x 1 mins Z5 and 3 x 30 secs Z6. Steady riding would be much easier but it was just too hot to ride outdoors.
  • Options
    @Stephen - I know Clark well. My organization travels extensively across the Pacific Rim supporting training exercises, so we're in the Philippines a lot. As a matter of fact, I have a crew going there next month. Small world.

@Danielle - I'd go crazy here by myself without something to focus on. Triathlon seems as good an addiction as any other image

@Paul - I'm hoping I'm close to the end. I dropped retirement papers for next year and they are floating around HQMC right now. If/once they are approved, I'm looking forward to being a stay-at-home dad supporting my wife and her career goals (for a change) and walking my 6 year old daughter to class every day!

I was able to find time to get some trainer time in this weekend. 4 hours on Saturday and 2.5 hours today. Also got an easy four mile run in this morning before the ride. Legs feel tired but good. Typhoon will be hitting us tomorrow and as we have a major exercise ongoing, I'll be spending it on lock down inside my office, which doubles as the command post for my unit. We're hoping it moves through quickly. Fun times.

Keep those workouts rolling and keep dropping those reports. The mojo is strong with this group!
  • Options
    Looks like all of y'all are working hard. Good so see things going well. Paul - you get workout of the week for sitting on a trainer for 5+ hours.

I was able to get in 3 swims this week for about 5000yds. Only ran twice but one was a long run. Did the FTP work on the trainer and then looked at the VO2 set and decided to quit there. Wasn't happening. Rode twice this weekend. Did my first century ride on Saturday for 102.9 miles. Followed that Sunday with 2:15 on the trainer and 3.5 mile brick run. Legs are a little heavy today.

Looking forward to Danielle's Dinners in Louisville! 
  • Options
    @ Jay - add another 55 miles on the trainer for Sunday, plus 7 mile jog and 2900 yard swim. I'm wiped. Congrats on your first century!

@ Roy - sounds like a great plan. I probably won't fully retire for another 10 years.