Home Racing Forum 🏎 140.6 Forums Ironman Wisconsin
Options

Swim Struggle

Ok folks - slipping a bit into panic mode as far as the swim goes. I get it is the shortest duration, and am very cool w/ the ROI I've gained on bike & run. Yet something is fundamentally off. I've consistently been in the 1:55-2:00/100yd range in the past but just did first 4k meter "test" and did not go well. I suspect it is "just" a fitness/endurance issue in the swimming department (have done very little here in past 3 months) so am tempted to just slug it out ~3x/week for 4 weeks and hope a lot of it comes back. But also concerned if I'm just reinforcing bad habits that it may be counterproductive. See below for some data points. Appreciate any views on how best to use the remaining weeks to minimize the impact of this ... I don't expect to be FAST, but would really hope I'm able to go ~1hr30min on race day.

Thanks

--

The good news is I got the distance in for the first time since 2011. 4000 meters for good measure as 8x 500's. The bad/ugly news is splits got progressively worse.

11:17, 11:55, 12:15, 13:05, 13:36, 13:55, 15:10, 15:25. 

That's a range of 2:04 - 2:50/100yds.

For comparison sake from 2015: 

2/28 70.3 RRSwim - 1:52/100yd 

3/23 70.3 RRSwim - 1:54/100yd 

4/4 70.3 RRSwim - 1:55/100yd 

4/12 Florida 70.3 - 2:26/100yd

2011 70.3 Switzerland - 2:02/100yd 

2011 70.3 Tinman - 1:53/100yd 

2011 IMWI - 1:55/100yd

With 4 weeks out I'm struggling with what (if anyhting) to do about this. Definitely focused on Bike/Run this season, but would not expect to loose nearly 1'/100yd vs. my former self. I've only swam 7 times since Florida 70.3 in April, so perhaps just need to get the yardage/consistency in these final weeks to recoup some of that fitness?

https://www.strava.com/activities/371783908

Comments

• Options
    David, far from a swim guru here, but I am very good with the swim cram plan. I've unfortunately had to use it for IMWI in 2013, CDA this year, and kinda doing it again for WI. Endurance seems a huge limiter of yours, and of course that would be the case with limited swims. My experience is that this can come back pretty quick. Your goals should be more mental at this point- be "comfortable" with the distance and be in good enough swim shape that slugging through 2.4 miles won't zap you for the rest of the race. The good news is that while run and bike training is almost out of time with the taper, you can do very little taper of the swim. I'd suggest swimming at least 3x/wk, all at least 3k, but more like 4k if you can. If you feel your form really falling apart towards the end, maybe take some longer recoveries at first, just making sure to cover the distance. Getting the distance in will help your endurance, but possibly more importantly, the mental bit.
  • Options

Posted By David Duran on 18 Aug 2015 09:20 AM

I've only swam 7 times since Florida 70.3 in April, so perhaps just need to get the yardage/consistency in these final weeks to recoup some of that fitness?

^This.^

I'm not really sure what swim you expected to have after only having swum 7x in the last 4mo?

This week we have a lot of work then next week is the RR week. Then the volume starts coming down over the remaining 10-14 days. You should be swimming as frequently as you can right up until the race, to include a final swim on Friday of race week. You don't need any swimming "taper." You need to swim

• Options
    Clear. K.I.S.S. Thanks folks.
    Don't over think it.